Tiger fishing any suggestions concerning tackle, gear and methods

7mm Mauser

Reaction score
Member of
SAJWV, SCI
Hunted
Zimbabwe, Namibia, South Africa
Tigerfishing at Jozini this winter, any suggestions concerning tackle , gear, methods?

Have a look on some of the fishing forums for more up to date info. My understanding is that water levels are close to all time lows due to the drought. I think the usual methods like live bait have been working on the bigger fish but from what I've heard the fishing has been tough.

Last year when we were there we just used sardines and they worked.

Don't know with levels being super low now.

I am no expert regarding Tiger Fishing but I have had the opportunity to fish Jozini a few times.

Angling from the shore: Best time will be from sunrise to about mid morning and then again from mid afternoon to night fall, just be aware around the water - there are some big crocs lurking around and hippo tend to stay in the shallows too. You might just be fortunate enough to see Elephant watering too, so keep your camera at hand.
Sardine works well, make sure that you use piano wire. I use a 5/0 Penetrator hook and find that they work well straight from the packaging - no need for hand sharpening them. You can also use some Tiger fillet strips - the shine on them helps to lure them in.
If spinning - use a 6ft spinning rod with a silver spoon, they work very well too. Braid will obviously be first choice.

When fishing from a boat - use your same spinning rod and spoon, cast towards the shore or structure and retrieve at just over medium speed - although those Tigers stay in a dam, they are quite fast and hit your lure / bait hard!
Fishing with live bait (Tilapia) is my preferred method of choice. Use a circle hook and don't strike when your bait is taken, merely take up the slack on the line and apply pressure. The hook up success rate outclass normal hooks this way.
Some monster Tiger fish has been caught during 2016 but with the low water level and poachers using gill nets the pressure on the fish stocks is on.

Lastly - remember those long nose pliers to take hooks out!

Best of luck and tight lines!!!

(Caught this Tiger just over two months ago from the shore - this was one of the 7 caught during the morning session).

20160102_121214.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
goldpatnners

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Jackal hunt on triggercam,

Jackal hunt on triggercam,