Thinking about a Lion Bow hunt in a few years?

Bluey, Yes they tracked it in the Kalahari.

Look at Dirt Nap broadheads.

ive not used them yet ,
but there plenty of bowhunter over here ,that love toms broad heads ,
l really should get half a dozen to try .
I just really like the rage as they come with practice head in every pack , so you use them on the but and not blunten the expandables

In my opinion will a modern 70 lbs compound bow be enough, but you need heavy arrows and a high quality broadhead.
I recommend a total arrow weight of about 650 grains.
When it comes to the broadhead for a 70 lbs bow, I recommend a 2-blade from either VPA or German Kinetic.

If you have a modern 80 lbs bow and a decent draw length, then I think the DRT(a 2-blade with bleeders) is a very good option.

It is way better to use a 70 lbs that you can draw, hold and shoot well than trying to use a 80 lbs or heavier that you struggle with and lose accuracy.

I was thinking 500 grain arrows with 150 grain broad heads would be the best ratio of weight?

I think that is a good build.
A 500 grain arrow with a 150 grain 2-blade VPA or German Kinetic added.
Then you will be sure of good penetration and a lion that dies quickly if you put the arrow where it should be.

I've got the bow dead on at 20yds and have it set at about 65lb draw weight shooting arrows that are 500 grams in total. I probably won't add that last 5lb for a while as its plenty powerful for white tail deer hunting this fall. Will eventually get around set setting the higher yardage pins. I was thinking I just need to set pins at 20yd, 40yd, and 60yd. I've got a 6pin sight but don't know when I'd be needing all of them.

I hunted a lioness this past August, it is a blast with archery gear. 95lb is just overkill, I shot my lion with a 70lb Bowtech and got a complete pass through. This will be a lightning rod but I used the DRT heads and Victory VAP arrows. I used this same set up on all my plains game with full pass thoughs on everything. When I go back I will likely use a heavier arrow, I got great results but also made perfect shots. The lighter arrow would not have done as well on heavy bone if I had not been as "on" with my bow. Once you talk to an outfitter you like talk to them about what they suggest.

I hunted a lioness this past August, it is a blast with archery gear. 95lb is just overkill, I shot my lion with a 70lb Bowtech and got a complete pass through. This will be a lightning rod but I used the DRT heads and Victory VAP arrows. I used this same set up on all my plains game with full pass thoughs on everything. When I go back I will likely use a heavier arrow, I got great results but also made perfect shots. The lighter arrow would not have done as well on heavy bone if I had not been as "on" with my bow. Once you talk to an outfitter you like talk to them about what they suggest.
KAl, Did you send pictures to Tom of the lion shot with his broadheads? Here it was I thought I would be the first to take one with them........ oh well!
Congrats!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pace88win__

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you