Thinking about a Lion Bow hunt in a few years?

Bsums

AH veteran
Reaction score
Hunted
USA, Africa
I have been thinking about going on a South African lion hunt with a bow in a few years. I have been doing some research on it and saw that the minimum draw weight is 95lb. Which means I'd need to get a new bow as mine's max is 70lb.(Bow Tech Carbon Knight) Im wondering what draw weight you suggest and any bow recommendations. If anyone who has gone bow hunting for lion can give me some insight it would be greatly appreciated!

I'm interested to see who makes a 95# bow! I was told Mathews had 80 or 85# limbs as an option. Last bow I've heard of was the Hoyt back in the late 80's that would crank down to 100#. I could understand a mandate on arrow weight/broad head weight and design, not poundage though. Plenty of big bears are killed with 70# bows every year. Hope there are some good posts to this thread.

I'm interested to see who makes a 95# bow! I was told Mathews had 80 or 85# limbs as an option. Last bow I've heard of was the Hoyt back in the late 80's that would crank down to 100#. I could understand a mandate on arrow weight/broad head weight and design, not poundage though. Plenty of big bears are killed with 70# bows every year. Hope there are some good posts to this thread.

You can get limbs made.
http://www.apaarchery.com/canada/bows

From the thread Brickburn linked he has his bow set at 92lb. "I had my hoyt maxxis 32 , set at 92 lbs ,with 609 grain carbon express pile drivers with 125 grn rage 2 blade expandables up front , these were travelling at 287 fps, delivering 110 foot pounds of kenetic energy."

Yeah the 95lb draw weight is really high. ……….

"Best recommended draw weight for bowhunting the African lion – Any increment greater than minimum draw mass may be used, but the minimum required draw weight is 95 lbs."

This is an Outfitter or agents idea.

Am I better off with just using a rifle? It also seems the number of outfitters who offer lion bow hunts is much more limited.

Extreme bow weights are just not really needed, a ton of large game has been taken with recurves and long bows befor the advent of wheel bows. a heavy arrow and good cut on contact broadheads have always done the job, history is full of examples. Bow poundage is just a small part. Lammie Poigeter of Dare To Bowhunt has a good video of a lioness taken with a recurve.

Am I better off with just using a rifle? It also seems the number of outfitters who offer lion bow hunts is much more limited.
I called several outfitters in Alaska asking if they would guide a brown bear archery hunt and many wouldn't. I found one guy that told me if I was dumb enough to poke a bear with a stick, he was dumb enough to back me up with his .458! I like that guy! If you want to bowhunt a lion, don't back down, go shoot one and then tell us a good story with plenty of pictures!

when I set that maxxiss up it was for long shots on our samba deer ,hence the poundage , originally l was going to use minimum weight arrows and really get them singing ,and eventually use on it our buffalo and them real ones in Africa ,
I just got used to it .
when planning the lion hunt , roy wormald said my old 70 lb guardian would do the job .
when the shot presented it self , im glad l had the extra horse power .
the angle of the quartering on shot was about a bit more than I really like , but there wasn't going to be much reprieve , if l didn't go after her ,she was definitely only a haret beat of coming for me .
theres photos of the entry and exit in my album .

if your gunna walk up a lion /lioness ,bro .
get some practice at shooting on the fly ,and off the hip so to speak.
cos when its crunch time , it unfolds plenty quick .
also practice out a ways 40 to 70 metres.
and also be prepared to see your dream hunt , blow up in your face , because if she comes ,she will be shot ,instantly .roy made this abundantly clear from our very first corraspondance.

so young BT, whos this lunatic Alaskan that will wallk us up on a big angry grizzly bear ?
with our stick flingas

I went on a phenomenal black bear hunt two years ago and the guide had some awesome stories, he had been doing it for some 25+ years. This summer when on my plains game hunt in Africa one of the PH had his legs really tore up by a leopard the year before.
Bluey, so you think my Carbon Knight would be fine? Do you recommend heavier or lighter arrows and what kind of points?

Last edited:
Extreme bow weights are just not really needed, a ton of large game has been taken with recurves and long bows befor the advent of wheel bows. a heavy arrow and good cut on contact broadheads have always done the job, history is full of examples. Bow poundage is just a small part. Lammie Poigeter of Dare To Bowhunt has a good video of a lioness taken with a recurve.
did the recurve guy stalk his liuoness , jeff.?
gutsy effort ......
what poundage was his broom handle ?:p:p

so young BT, whos this lunatic Alaskan that will wallk us up on a big angry grizzly bear ?
with our stick flingas
I will dig his info up after I get back from flingin sticks at Big Kansas Whitetails!
I bet lion with a bow is definitely a men from the boys separator! I killed a 7' boar black bear stalking at 18 yards a few years ago and it was the biggest accomplishment of my bow hunting thus far, and talk about your ass eating pieces of your camo britches! Only back up was the .44 on my hip. It was truly an awesome moment!

I went on a phenomenal black bear hunt last year and the guide had some awesome stories, he had been doing it for some 25+ years. Last summer when on my plains game hunt in Africa one of the PH had his legs really tore up by a leopard the year before.
Bluey, so you think my Carbon Knight would be fine? Do you recommend heavier or lighter arrows and what kind of points?

roy was adamant that that 70 pounds was plenty ,and that rage b/h were ok , every one else ,I spoke to said a fixed 2 blade ,on a heavy shaft .
my arrows were 609 grains and a 125 rage ,2 blade up the business end .
if l was going to do it with a 70 puond bow , id look at the same set up ,purely for the momentum , as long as it was travelling at 230 plus, that what my guardian was shooting them at
but most likely a 550 grain set up would be enough , don't know about legal ,but seeing what archery equipement can do when put in the right place ,it would work in my opinion .
but you need to talk to who ever you hunt with ,and bloko theres plenty of outstanding operations right here that can see you straight .
but roy wormald would be well worth looking into as l had a spectacular time there .and will be goinjg with him one again .soon l hope 20 17,mabe 2019 .at the latest.

I will dig his info up after I get back from flingin sticks at Big Kansas Whitetails!
I bet lion with a bow is definitely a men from the boys separator! I killed a 7' boar black bear stalking at 18 yards a few years ago and it was the biggest accomplishment of my bow hunting thus far, and talk about your ass eating pieces of your camo britches! Only back up was the .44 on my hip. It was truly an awesome moment!

im hearing ya ,mate.
the enormity of it never hit hit until the deal was done and the shakes set in , I was exhaling pure adrenaline , for a long time afterwards.
back at camp that night the they were talking it up , and the phone calls from there friends to see how it unwound , sort of dropped a whole lot reality on top of me .
but its something l remember sprooking off with mates about ,around the campfire , when were kids .
surprisingly a couple of them remember our childish bull shit sessions , and have said how passionate l was about it .
a black bear is on the horizon ,
after Zambia next year , thats right up on top of my need to do list .hunting in Zambia is something that ive wanted to do since l was knee high to a duck ....
this site is really helping me with those kid dreams ,ive been wanting to tick off the list .

Look at Dirt Nap broadheads.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LeannaDost

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

thriller wrote on Bronkatowski1's profile.
Until this guy posts something on pay it forward free I would avoid him at all costs.
sgtsabai wrote on Buck51's profile.
If it hasn't sold by next week I might be interested. Stock would have to be changed along with some other items. I'm already having a 416 Rigby built so money is a tad bit tight.
The35Whelen wrote on MedRiver's profile.
Hey pal! I'll take all the .375 bullets if they're available.
Thanks!

Cody R. Sieber
@DERIAN KOEKEMOER SAFARIS is proud to say that we are members of PHASA.
WhatsApp Image 2024-03-09 at 08.11.01_9d17b32f.jpg