The Rise of Hipster Hunters

I really like this. There seems to be this stereotype that all hunters are a bunch of 40 somethings from the deep deep South. Anything that breaks these stereotypes and assumptions is an A+ in my book. That's also why I was really happy with the female hunters article.

The rise of the hipster hunter is a healthy critique and probably a backlash against commercial farming. Nothing in the natural world looks or tastes like chicken or pork. I have yet to harvest anything with a such soft, white and tasteless flesh. We have chemically and genetically modified these creatures to the point that our palate does not recognize real meat. Also, what little genetic mutants we have created! Does anyone recall when all chickens were not uniformly so small? The wild turkeys and pigs do not resemble their supermarket cousins at all! There is no respect for the animal in that production chain. I would challenge anyone to spend a day in a slaughter house and then a week hunting, and then tell me which is more ethical. However, we are living longer and healthier than ever. So, clearly farming is important to our society. However, hunting can remind us of our species' relationship to the natural world. Maybe then we can figure out a better way to raise farmed animals. There is a book called "In defense of food" and the basic premise is that we should not eat anything our grandparents would not recognize as food. Interesting thought.

Reactions: lcq
The rise of the hipster hunter is a healthy critique and probably a backlash against commercial farming. Nothing in the natural world looks or tastes like chicken or pork. I have yet to harvest anything with a such soft, white and tasteless flesh. We have chemically and genetically modified these creatures to the point that our palate does not recognize real meat. Also, what little genetic mutants we have created! Does anyone recall when all chickens were not uniformly so small? The wild turkeys and pigs do not resemble their supermarket cousins at all! There is no respect for the animal in that production chain. I would challenge anyone to spend a day in a slaughter house and then a week hunting, and then tell me which is more ethical. However, we are living longer and healthier than ever. So, clearly farming is important to our society. However, hunting can remind us of our species' relationship to the natural world. Maybe then we can figure out a better way to raise farmed animals. There is a book called "In defense of food" and the basic premise is that we should not eat anything our grandparents would not recognize as food. Interesting thought.

I was at a chinese restaurant that served plenty of stuff my grandparents wouldn't recognize, including a wicked chicken chow meow

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Walkerph

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you