The Right Accessories for an African Hunt

There's usually some free issues of African Outfitter magazine at the airport police office at JNB. I've since subscribed to the magazine and enjoy it much.

Don't forget the pith helmet its esential for the pictures!

I almost forgot the most important accessory! - my AH.com hat!

ok you probably wont like this but CHEAP BINOS SUCK! if you can afford the hunt get some good glass and cheap vortex is china crap! I messed around with cheap optics when i was young and dumb the difference is astounding from cheap to quality. I have a saying if you cant see it you cant shoot it. you dont need anything more than 10x one good pair will last you a lifetime and you wont regret it. most PH and guides worth anything have good stuff aka leica, swarovski, etc and there is a reason for that. sorry to burst your bubble on $100 binos.
as regards other stuff what time of yr are you going? I will say this in general go light on the gear. all
I needed for the day was on me aka gun, binos, ammo, sunglasses, hat and small flashlight cell phone doubled as camera. the PH and trackers had all the other stuff. all you need to do is listen to what they say follow directions and shoot well when told which one and how far. dont question them it pisses them off if they say shoot the 2nd from left 250 shoot em they know their stuff. at least andri and beans do. better you spend time shooting practice from 50-300 yds.

From my limited experience, the only gear I took with me was my rifle, 10x42 zeiss binos in a badlands binocase, and a small camera in my pocket. A few other things stayed in my pack on the truck, bigger camera, knife, etc. The knife never shed blood, the range finder I brought never left camp, and 80% of the ammo came home with me.

I'm thinking when it comes to a safari, the majority of us over pack like women!

Never listed on AH and that I needed more of badly was Chapstick. I was in Namibia and it was dry but it is cheap and light. Take double of what you think you need. The other thing I brought was a face/neck gaiter. They even offer cooling ones like this.

https://www.amazon.com/Mission-Athl...471397609&sr=8-1&keywords=neck+gaiter+cooling

It had other uses, keeping the insects off your face, excellent when used with sunglasses. and pulled up high and over the back of my hat, it helped keep it on when the truck was moving.

I'm of a different opinion on this. I packed waaaay to much crap and left most of it in the suitcase. I found that I didn't hunt any different there then I do here.
1) a good rifle that your comfortable with
2) the best pair of binos you can afford
3) if your expecting long shots or bow hunting a range finder
4) comfortable well broke in boots
5) camera pocket size of good quality
That's pretty much it.

Oh ya on a side note bring a comfy pair of tenny runners to knock around camp in and travel in. I took only hunting boots and that's a mistake I won't make again. There wasn't a pair of tennis shoes in the whole of South Africa that fit my square flintstone feet.

I found I used my leatherman more than I expected to! Binos are essential. A camera because once you get home you will find yourself looking through those photos quite frequently!

ok you probably wont like this but CHEAP BINOS SUCK! if you can afford the hunt get some good glass and cheap vortex is china crap! I messed around with cheap optics when i was young and dumb the difference is astounding from cheap to quality. I have a saying if you cant see it you cant shoot it. you dont need anything more than 10x one good pair will last you a lifetime and you wont regret it. most PH and guides worth anything have good stuff aka leica, swarovski, etc and there is a reason for that. sorry to burst your bubble on $100 binos.
as regards other stuff what time of yr are you going? I will say this in general go light on the gear. all
I needed for the day was on me aka gun, binos, ammo, sunglasses, hat and small flashlight cell phone doubled as camera. the PH and trackers had all the other stuff. all you need to do is listen to what they say follow directions and shoot well when told which one and how far. dont question them it pisses them off if they say shoot the 2nd from left 250 shoot em they know their stuff. at least andri and beans do. better you spend time shooting practice from 50-300 yds.

@Buckdog going late next July

I found I used my leatherman more than I expected to! Binos are essential. A camera because once you get home you will find yourself looking through those photos quite frequently!
Boy isn't that the truth. I think we gave flash burn to the eyes of every animal in RSA. Glad we did though because not a day goes by that I don't go through at least some of the pics.

On my most recent safari I used a small Kuiu belt pouch to keep a few things in and it worked great. I keep a leather man, wipes (for obvious reasons and also wiping blood from your trophy for pics), cough drops, Rem oil wipes (especially if it's been raining), lens cleaner wipes, etc.
I like my Murray leather shell carrier that goes on my belt and holds 6 rounds. Swarovski 10X compact binos with Rick Young Outdoors bino strap.
Best of luck! And yes planning is half the fun.
Philip

I agree with RedLeg about the truck shooting. In 7 trips over I have done it once and still regret it, though probably not as much as my PH and his girlfriend did! We had been chasing a warthog for some time and every time the Landy stopped and I went to get out he would take off again. I got frustrated and being in the back of the truck already, pig stopped, truck stopped and I fired my .375 with the muzzle just about over the passenger side open window. BOOM!!! Shook them up pretty good inside, or least I guessed it did due to all the swearing from old Wille the Profane. Anyway I always encourage new hunters to not shoot from the truck even if the PH says its OK. Its illegal in some places, certainly in the states it is and generally frowned upon. You will like yourself better if you shoot from field positions or sticks. For those that prefer shooting from the truck, dont get all bent out of shape and blast me, its just my opinion and I am often told my opinions suck! :rolleyes:Don't overlook Nikon binos, they are quite good and reasonably priced. Cheap binos will give you a headache quickly. A pair of lightweight leather gloves are a good idea. I usually hunt in long pants over there and you will like them much better than shorts when crawling over rocks and thorns. I carry most of my gear in a satchel or catchall bag in the hunting car and keep most everything I might need in it and take only the bare necessities into the bush. Enjoy your safari:D

A light weight scarf is also good idea, can get really cold early in the mornings on the back of truck.

Packed, now lets go hunt.....:ROFLMAO:

20160817_072047.jpg

One thing I did forget on my recent safari-

light, cloth or leather gun bag.

I had my hard case, but nothing to store the rifle in while on the truck. This is not an issue if you are staying on one property the whole time. However, if you're driving around to different properties, I believe its a requirement to have the rifle in a bag.

Luckily, my PHs had one that I could borrow.

I agree with RedLeg about the truck shooting. In 7 trips over I have done it once and still regret it, though probably not as much as my PH and his girlfriend did! We had been chasing a warthog for some time and every time the Landy stopped and I went to get out he would take off again. I got frustrated and being in the back of the truck already, pig stopped, truck stopped and I fired my .375 with the muzzle just about over the passenger side open window. BOOM!!! Shook them up pretty good inside, or least I guessed it did due to all the swearing from old Wille the Profane. Anyway I always encourage new hunters to not shoot from the truck even if the PH says its OK. Its illegal in some places, certainly in the states it is and generally frowned upon. You will like yourself better if you shoot from field positions or sticks. For those that prefer shooting from the truck, dont get all bent out of shape and blast me, its just my opinion and I am often told my opinions suck! :rolleyes:Don't overlook Nikon binos, they are quite good and reasonably priced. Cheap binos will give you a headache quickly. A pair of lightweight leather gloves are a good idea. I usually hunt in long pants over there and you will like them much better than shorts when crawling over rocks and thorns. I carry most of my gear in a satchel or catchall bag in the hunting car and keep most everything I might need in it and take only the bare necessities into the bush. Enjoy your safari:D

Indeed @sestoppelman I agree with the shooting off the truck assessment. Having done pretty much all of my hunting in PA, most of it in thick stuff, sometimes on foot sometimes in a tree, it does not appeal much to me, with the possible exception of something like spotlighting night critters, where legal (ala parts of Africa, Texas, etc).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
markekcertifications

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you