Deals & offers
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Europe
Member of
NRA, DSC, SCI, Exotic Wildlife Association, Texas Taxidermy Association Life Member, National Taxidermy Association, TTHA,DUCKS UNLIMITED
Hunted
Namibia-Khomas Highlands, Romania, South Africa- Kalahari , Eastern Cape, USA, Fished Brazil, Mexico, USA
I got back from Brazil yesterday. It was an amazing adventure but was probably the most work I've ever done fishing. We went with River Plate Anglers and they are a first class outfitter. We caught 793 fish in 7 days. I caught two 19 lb peacocks, two 18 lb, one 17 lb, one 15 lb, and more 8 to 13lb fish than I could possibly count. I caught 6 pirhanna and several types of fish I have no clue what they were. Brazil is a beautiful country, and the rainforest is wonderful. It is hot though, I mean HOT!!!!!! We flew into Manaus, over-nighted, and took a bush plane two hours into the jungle. Once there it was another hour boat ride to the first camp. We ended up moving camp twice. The food was good and we stayed on floating barge type things. They were like little floating apartments they would couple together to move camp. I want to post more with a better story but I am having difficulty figuring out how to post pictures. Soon as I get it figured out there will be more to come.

Sounds like a great trip.

I have a friend who wants to do this fishing trip.

Amazon1038_zps26cbf67f.jpg

Here is a 17 lb 3 bar peacock I caught the first day

Amazon1019_zps1ac18d13.jpg

Our camp

Attachments

• Amazon1019_zps1ac18d13.jpg
    Amazon1019_zps1ac18d13.jpg
    111.2 KB · Views: 141
  • Amazon1038_zps26cbf67f.jpg
    Amazon1038_zps26cbf67f.jpg
    72.9 KB · Views: 205
Last edited by a moderator:
Here is one of the 19lb fish I caught.
amazon3054_zpse1d0e8e2.jpg

amazon3050_zpsd2e5bae2.jpg

This is Junior who was my guide for the week and probably the best fishing guide in the Amazon. We communicated through like a Port-Spanglish but it worked. He was a wonderful guy and at only 19 years old was the most talented fisherman I have ever had the honor of fishing with.
amazon3060_zpse7812826.jpg

Attachments

• amazon3054_zpse1d0e8e2.jpg
    amazon3054_zpse1d0e8e2.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 148
  • amazon3060_zpse7812826.jpg
    amazon3060_zpse7812826.jpg
    75.5 KB · Views: 174
  • amazon3050_zpsd2e5bae2.jpg
    amazon3050_zpsd2e5bae2.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 153
It sounds like you slayed them.

Congratulations on a great trip.

Thanks for sharing the photos.

You mention a three bar peacock. I never thought of it before but I presume you are talking about the vertical stripes. How many bars can they have? If I am way off on my assumptions, what is a bar?

spike.t, I just tossed you a soft ball!:oops:

All the best.

good stuff , gizmo .
sounds like a great trip
how hot ?
can you export the fish for mounting , including the pirhana ?
did the peacocks ,cook up any good?
in the jungle did you see much wildlife ,for photo opportunity ?
glad you didn't end up jaguar scat ,bloke .
the floating garden sheds look comfy enough.
are you going to do a day by day account ,including entering and leaving the country ?:whistle:;):cool:
is there a favourite lure these things cant say no to ?

. How many bars can they have? , what is a bar?

spike.t, I just tossed you a soft ball!:oops:

All the best.

well now it depends on the establishment.....a good one should have at least four bars so you can circulate and not get bored too easily by the views walking past ;), and well.... if you dont know what one is you must be under your (usa) legal age of 21 for being allowed in one ,so i cant tell you :p:D:ROFLMAO:

gizmo looks great and i like the floating cabin idea. bluey maybe a place for a jaunt one day? :)

l rekon ,bud.
l want to start doing more fishing on overseas hunting trips, but l cant see me, travelling around just fishing .

kinda defeats the purpose of a fisherman , going on a holiday , don't it .

l rekon ,bud.
l want to start doing more fishing on overseas hunting trips, but l cant see me, travelling around just fishing .

kinda defeats the purpose of a fisherman , going on a holiday , don't it .

:ROFLMAO: yup good point!! :LOL:

Lol. As far as the bars go we had enough booze out there to sink a battleship. I bought a journal to keep for a day by day account but.... Brazilian beer is pretty good so I kinda fell short on the whole journal thing in the evenings. The three bar fish is one of a few different types of peacocks. They're called a three bar because they have three bars on their side. There is also a paca which has small dots all over it and a butterfly which has several brightly colored large spots on their side. The peacocks and pirrhana are very good to eat and that's what we ate every day. You can't bring them back though so I will do a replica of some of the fish. I was very impressed with the conservation mind set of the brazilians. Utmost care was taken in the handling and releasing of big fish. We kept fish for food but an unofficial slot limit was used for those we ate. I was impressed to find out that the brazilians are very steadfast in doing this on their own as well. There survival depends on the river and fishing keeps them alive but they are very careful with the fishery. I will get more picks posted ASAP. Yes, we saw tons of stuff from huge camon to tucans and parrots. Giant Amazonian river otters, dolphins etc...

Very good "Tucunares" you got there....seems you had a very good experiencie in this trip....!!!!
Waiting to see more photos of this incredible place.....!!!!!

Thanks for share Gizmo......!!!!

That trip is on my bucket list

Amazon1034_zps44eb22d2.jpg

Here is a small butterfly my friend caught.

Having a drink after a hard day fishing!
Amazon1022_zpsfec71c0f.jpg

Here is a nice paca. Note the spots. They don't tend to get as big as the three bars do but are amazingly strong even for a peacock. They prefer water with stronger current which I assume leads to their increased strength.
amazon3042_zps450717c2.jpg

My friends 18 lb peacock
amazon2009_zps83b4f09d.jpg

I have some pictures of dolphins and camons but with the go pro you really can't see them well. My regular camera broke the first day ( go figure).

Attachments

• Amazon1022_zpsfec71c0f.jpg
    Amazon1022_zpsfec71c0f.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 150
  • amazon3042_zps450717c2.jpg
    amazon3042_zps450717c2.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 135
  • Amazon1034_zps44eb22d2.jpg
    Amazon1034_zps44eb22d2.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 146
  • amazon2009_zps83b4f09d.jpg
    amazon2009_zps83b4f09d.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 148
Last edited by a moderator:
That trip is on my bucket list
It is absolutely worth it. It is very hard work though. We caught them on all kinds of lures but by far big choppers were the key to catching big fish!

Thanks for the explanation and additional photos.

You have increased my knowledge of peacocks ten fold!

All the best.

fantastic fun , great photos mate, thanks gizmo ...

Looks like fun.
Thanks for sharing your fishing trip.

what was the cost of this fishing safari gizmo,all up ?

I'm not a huge fisherman. I've just never been very good at it.

But dang that looks like fun!!!!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DelbertBat

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross