AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Europe
Hunted
Canada, USA,Austria,Turkey,Tschech Rep.,Poland,Hungary,Serbia,Denmark,Khomas HL and Omaheke/Namibia and England(England is wonderful) Romania,Luangwa/Zambia-,Gwayi/Zimbabwe/- + Save/Zimbabwe/- River. Horseback-tours in South Africa and Botswana.
Hi Folks.
Many hunter say, their buffs was weighing a ton.
And its a men disease to guess his own things always to big :whistle:
But I saw in my life some buffs, they had such a big body, that I would belive they can weight 1.000 kg.
My question to Heinrich ,TMS and other PH's :
Have you ever weight buffalos ?
Foxi

This is a good question i want to see what comes to the thread.

Shot Shot

I will share my fathers observations on southern Tanzania buff.

He shot a couple of buff that he thought might go 2000 lbs. These were large bodied bulls that were probably shot right at the start of the dry season when they were fattened up.

Most bulls he thought would weigh in the 1500 to possibly as high as 1700 lb range. Late dry season bulls would weigh less than this, getting down to the 1300 lb range.

As far as I know we never weighed a carcas. His eye for weight came from raising angus in another time and place.

I too would like to here from other PH's and @ActionBob who knows his bovines.

Interesting thread Foxi.

A little google search came up with "... Savannah-type buffaloes weigh 500 to 900 kg (1,100 to 2,000 lb), with males normally larger than females, reaching the upper weight range...". It will be interesting to see what some of the actual weights are.

This cow was hunted this past Saturday in Zululand and the dressed carcass weighed 208kg. Lets take it that a Buffalo dress out more or less the same as domestic cattle (approximately 50%) then this should push her weight on the hoof to anything between 400kg and 450kg depending on the amount of available food.
20160726_163128.jpg

This bull was taken the next day on the same property. Comparing to the cow, I would not put his weight past 650kg. I am quite sure that bigger boddied buffalo bulls should be around. 750kg to 850kg as stated sounds very realistic.
20160726_163148.jpg

Very interesting topic. Would like to see the outcome as I've personally never weighed any buffalo.
The cows seem to be pretty much the same size but the same can not be said about bulls.... some are really big in the body compared to others.

The first observation I made was how small their tracks and feet are compared to a Holstein Dairy cow. First bull I was on the tracks of it would have compared his track to about a 1000 pound heifer. And when we "flushed" him at 10 feet! Yes he was a young bull... but I can tell you a 1000 pound heifer never made made my hair stand up like that!

If I was to guess most of the Bulls shot would go from 1200 to 1600 pounds. But they are heavily muscled so at that I'm allowing more than I would on Cattle. However I have no doubt the occasional monster goes a ton... at least a US ton.;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Silke2404

Latest profile posts

85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.