Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
NRA, SCI
Hunted
USA; Nebraska South Africa; Natal
Greetings to everyone out there and happy 2016! I just had to give out an update on my upcoming hunt in KZN South Africa. Hunt paid for... check, passport... check, flight booked... check, after that everything else is details. I am getting myself to Africa and going hunting! I've also gotten the form 4457 and SAPS 520 done so my rifle is going with me too. Now I just need to get my butt in gear and start reloading the rounds I've shot in practice and get some less common bullets for light loads.
I just thought I'd vent a bit to a knowledgeable audience. Of course any tips and suggestions will be very welcome.

Best Regards,

30winmag

What animals are you hunting, and what are you bringing (rifle, caliber, load, etc)?

Hi tarbe! I'm doing the almost standard "Africa starter package" of kudu, wildebeest, bushbuck, warthog and impala. I'll be using a Winchester model 70 in .375 H&H (the African 30-06) with Hornady 250gr GMX bullets pushed by 69.4 grains of Varget for the kudu and wildebeest and 225 gr. spire points pushed by 52 or so grains of SR4759 for the smaller stuff. I'm still working up that load but my rifle shoots shockingly close to same point of impact with both. I just need to get out to the range to shoot it past 200 yards . I hope that answers some of your questions.

You are a braver man than I, taking two different loads!

Based on your screen name, I might have guessed you were taking a 30 cal Magnum. :)

You are a braver man than I, taking two different loads!

Based on your screen name, I might have guessed you were taking a 30 cal Magnum. :)
Well, you can bet that the light loads will have the bases marked with blue (cool) marker so there is no mistake! As to the loading, I do it for a living so tailoring loads is no big deal. I just know that the GMX loads might be a little much for a deer sized animal. Of course if that is what is in the chamber when an animal presents itself that won't slow me down for a second!;) But co the more I hear about bushbuck the more I reconsider the load to use on them. And the 25 year old 300 Win Mag is staying home, I don't want to chance it getting lost.

I shot this Grysbok with my .375 H&H with 300 grain TSX. No way I would have had time to switch to a solid which would have been a "better" choice. So I used the same bullet I used on the buff in my avatar.

Not trying to discourage you or tell you what to do and there is nothing wrong with taking more than one load. You just don't always have time to switch. :)

FB_IMG_1433299704902.jpg

I shot this Grysbok with my .375 H&H with 300 grain TSX. No way I would have had time to switch to a solid which would have been a "better" choice. So I used the same bullet I used on the buff in my avatar.

Not trying to discourage you or tell you what to do and there is nothing wrong with taking more than one load. You just don't always have time to switch. :)

View attachment 53573
Oh no offense taken. It's a case of having the time to switch loads, if I happen across a "shoot! shoot!" situation the heavy load is going downrange with no hesitation. But If I have my kudu and wildebeest in the salt I'll load up with the light rounds, with some solids handy. Dual purpose for small stuff and there are buffalo in the area I'd rather not get into an "uh oh" situation and have no answer.
A great trophy by the way! You can definitely see where you hit the Grysbok with a good shot, what did the other side look like? I'm guessing that the TSX didn't have a chance to open up so no real damage.

Thanks!

Like you guessed, not that bad. It was a neat clean hole out the back side probably the size of a 50 cent piece. I hit him center mass on purpose hoping to minimize damage.

Ironically, I made an almost identical shot on a Steenbok with my .30/06 and a 180 grain ttsx and the far side damage was much worse. I will leave it to you bullet junkies to say why. :)

Last edited:
You're on your way. Keep it rolling.

Thanks!

Like you guessed, not that bad. It was a neat clean hole out the back side probably the size of a 50 cent piece. I hit him center mass on porpoise hoping to minimize damage.

Ironically, I made an almost identical shot on a Steenbok with my .30/06 and a 180 grain ttsx and the far side damage was much worse. I will leave it to you bullet junkies to say why. :)
LOL! Well there are about half a dozen different factors(velocity, angle, animal size, tissue type, bullet travel distance, terminal energy expended, how you held your mouth etc.) so I won't spitball a guess. But it did what it was supposed to do and you got the animal with a lean kill. Mission accomplished.

Thanks!

Like you guessed, not that bad. It was a neat clean hole out the back side probably the size of a 50 cent piece. I hit him center mass on porpoise hoping to minimize damage.

I didn't know you could hunt Flipper?! :D

The 6 months will drag on and on but it will come to an end! Then you will find yourself on that plane and trying to sleep. Next thing you know your landing at OR Tambo and the fun begins!

The 6 months will drag on and on but it will come to an end! Then you will find yourself on that plane and trying to sleep. Next thing you know your landing at OR Tambo and the fun begins!
Thanks CAustin! I'm trying to keep a schedule of stuff to keep busy so it won't drag quite as bad. As to the plane, been across the pond four different times I've got that part down and I can't wait to be boots on the ground at OR Tambo!
Thanks for stopping by!

Well, you can bet that the light loads will have the bases marked with blue (cool) marker so there is no mistake! As to the loading, I do it for a living so tailoring loads is no big deal. I just know that the GMX loads might be a little much for a deer sized animal. Of course if that is what is in the chamber when an animal presents itself that won't slow me down for a second!;) But co the more I hear about bushbuck the more I reconsider the load to use on them. And the 25 year old 300 Win Mag is staying home, I don't want to chance it getting lost.

So much of this stuff is all about us nerds exercising our nerdness to upteenth degree...so what makes ultimate sense to one of us is totally missing the point for another.

Me? If I wanted to take your list of critters with my 375 I'd just load up the 250gr GMX or TTSX to about 2,700 (give or take 50 to find the accuracy node) and never look back.

But I tend to be a minimalist. And I am stupid, so I have to follow the KISS rule!

For instance...I am currently in the early, early stages of thinking about a Buff hunt. I will use a 416 Rigby. I will likely also want to take a few other critters. I will shoot them all with the same load.

I really don't want to mess with hauling two rifles, and I cannot imagine how bad it might be to goof up and have a 350gr Speer up the pipe instead of the 400gr TSX or 450gr Woodleigh when I drop the hammer on a buffalo.

Oh, and your GMX loads won't be too much...and if you are really concerned, just bring that 300! ;)

Regarding the time to change ammo, I only know this...I always carried earplugs with me on my hunt. In 15 animals, I did not get the plugs in for one! Stuff always seemed to happen pretty fast, and I was always focused like a laser on getting in position, getting on the animal, etc. No time to mess with plugs. I would not want to be messing with changing ammo when stuff is going down.

But then, I am old, slow and stupid...so take what I say with a grain of salt.

Regarding your ammo loading...I also had an Amm0 Manufacturer's License (along with an FFL) back in the 80's. Did it mostly to get stuff at wholesale and to help friends out. Do you do it full-time, or on the side?

Have fun counting the days! Unfortunately, it will be over before you know it...so savor every minute!

Tim

I totally agree with you. It is kind of a case of if I can, why not? I also agree with you 155% on the GMX/TTSX velocity. Let me know what you decide on for your buff, I am looking at that down the road and with the same caliber, just in a 450/400. Being retired military I know Murphy rules and I will keep 250's loaded until I can't shoot anything that needs them. I've probably shot a dozen whitetails with GMX's in the big 30 and never recovered a bullet. They will do the job very nicely if I'm in a hurry.
As to loading for a living, I work in the ballistic lab for an ammo manufacturer. PM me if you want details, since it is a bad idea to mention who in a public forum.
I'll keep counting the days, and already planning a return!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MorrisFloc

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg