The Making of a Double Rifle

Discussion in 'Double Rifles' started by AfricaHunting.com, Nov 15, 2010.

1. AfricaHunting.com

AfricaHunting.com FOUNDER AH Ambassador

My Photos:
    The Making of a Double Rifle

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 28, 2014
  2. bee keeper

bee keeper AH Member

Member of:
    NRA
    wow...love to have a job there ...
  3. DUGABOY1

DUGABOY1 CONTRIBUTOR AH Enthusiast

Member of:
    Double Rifle Shooter's Society, Life NAHC, NRA,SCI
    Hunted:
    Us, Canada,Zambia, Zimbabwe, South America
    NOW!!! Are there any questions as to why double rifles are so expensive, or about the skill needed to build one, even a field grade double rifle that will hit the target with both barrels?

Double rifles are apparently priced, wouldn’t you say?
  4. monish

monish AH Elite

My Photos:
    Member of:
    AfricaHunting.com
    Hunted:
    Tanzania, Nepal, Canada,
    Hi Mac,

No doubt the doubles are expensive pieces of ballistic ,wood & metal art ,with lot of specialized skillful efforts put in . Its a great feeling to own & use these immaculate classic dbbl rifles .

Monish
  5. DUGABOY1

DUGABOY1 CONTRIBUTOR AH Enthusiast

Member of:
    Double Rifle Shooter's Society, Life NAHC, NRA,SCI
    Hunted:
    Us, Canada,Zambia, Zimbabwe, South America
    The word in my post above was changed by spell check to apparently because I misspelled it in word document, and I didn't notice it till the stupid time limit for edit went int effect!

I bought a new keyboard and it doesn't spell any better than the old one! 8>)

Monish you are absolutely right! The double rifle is the only rifle type that started life as a HUNTING rifle! All others started off as war weapons, and were later pressed into service for hunting.

A well-made double rifle is the only rifle I can think of the can be shot instinctively without even seeing the sights and be on target when it really counts. They are simply an extension of the shooter’s body. However, they require around 600-800 hours of very skilled labor to build properly, and that has nothing to do with decoration, just physical fitting, and regulating!

It is a very pleasurable thing to own, and hunt with! 30 years ago I only knew on man personally that owned a double rifle other than myself. Today they are fairly common on public firing ranges in my part of the country, but still something that almost always gets the attention of other shooters, with the proliferation of mod 700s, and Aks on every table!
  6. Heym 88

Heym 88 GOLD SUPPORTER AH Enthusiast

Member of:
    DSC
    Hunted:
    US
    Every time I look at my Heym 88 I cherish all the hard work that went in to it.
  7. AkMike

AkMike AH Fanatic

My Photos:
    Member of:
    NRA-Life ASSRA DRSS
    Right! Quality shows!
    Then take a step back in time before electricity and look at what they did back then. My Alex Henrys and the others are works of art even now that still work quite well 130 years later.
  8. Cliffy

Cliffy AH Elite

My Photos:
    Hunted:
    Hunted Zim, RSA (2), Namib(2), going again, Calif, Oregon, Arizona, Texas, Virginia, Idaho, South Dakota, Montana, Nevada, MO
    I have a gunsmithing book on making doubles out of large shotgun receivers and it's so much work it would be easier to start from scratch like this video, It's unbelievable how much hand work skill goes into this. Of course that's why we appreciate them
    so much. Most are works of art.
  9. AkMike

AkMike AH Fanatic

My Photos:
    Member of:
    NRA-Life ASSRA DRSS
    If anyone happens to be interested in one of these conversions in a 450 NE.. (Hint Hint) I have a proven shooter that is at least as good as my 450 Searcy.
  10. Stan-Elephant Trail

Stan-Elephant Trail AH Veteran

My Photos:
    Thanks for sharing, Jerome. I do enjoy it very much.
  11. Shumba Safaris

Shumba Safaris AH Veteran

My Photos:
    Member of:
    SA Hunters , Lowveld Hunters , BASA
    Hunted:
    South Africa , Zimbabwe , Botswana , Scotland , France , Belgium , USA
    Thanks for posting Jerome. While in France , I had the privilege to visit the Verney Carron facility in June. A very impressive place run by highly professional people. Attention to detail was obvious. I definitely got to appreciate the fine workmanship that goes into manufacturing one of these bespoke double rifles . To boot , I got to shoot some of their rifles.