Reaction score
Deals & offers
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Hunted
Canada (British Columbia, Alberta), Mexico, Zimbabwe, South Africa (Limpopo, North Cape), USA
This is a very special Mauser, and likely the rarest you'll ever encounter. There are only two known Kurz Small ring Mausers, this one which is the first, and one other from a year later in 1902.

I gave my information and photos to Axel from here, a Mauser collector and friend of Jon Speed who of course literally wrote the book on sporting Mausers. He and Mr. Speed came back to me with this,

Axel said:
Nearly all the short Mauser K actions are radiused behind the recoil lug, some have the small flat too. But, nearly all are small ring actions. The only other known large ring K action, serial Nr. 5340, has the flat behind the recoil lug common with the larger actions. That action is dated 1902, while this one is 1901.

As you wrote, it is marked "V1". This may be a Mauser factory toolroom number. Several other one of a kind Mauser actions are known with such low, V-prefix serial numbers. "V" most likely stands for "Versuch" = test or experiment. So it may well be a toolroom prototype action.
Richard Mahrholdt then was a very influential gun authority besides being a "name" gunmaker and -retailer. He was the original author of the "Waffenlexikon" = gun encyclopedia, a book that was for decades and at least 7 editions "the bible" for German speaking sporting gun enthusiasts. So a Mauser toolroom prototype may well have ended up in his shop.

Jon Speed said:
Axel, Now I see the bottom correctly in this image and note the set up looks quite a bit different than on the 1902 system in my book. It appears as the Mauser folks were trying to figure out how to handle the Large ring position in regards to the opening for the magazine box portion of system thus creating the flats under the action we see here. In this case the layout of the system has the lower ring machined flat to mate with magazine box contours etc. This is in a different form than there 1902 system so maybe this 1901 was a preliminary form befor the final production versions like the 1902 example . Thats what the V 1 would indicate as we mentioned before. Regards, Jon

The rifle is today chambered in 7x57, with an excellent bore (rebored original barrel, it shipped as a 6.5x54, and yes x54 not x55, then chambered to 6.5x57, and finally bored and chambered to 7x57). The rifle being a Kurz requires 7x57 be hand loaded and seated to a shorter OAL length to fit the Kurz magazine (true short action, .250 Savage class), or single loading standard length rounds, a single round can be put into the magazine with the nose high. I have had it explicitly explained to me this rifle's value could be astronomical, being one of two known, and the first of the two with a "Test 1" serial number. It is however customized with a wing safety, the clip guide was removed, though tastefully, and it was drilled and tapped for a scope at some point in the past. It was of course though beautifully done, case coloured, so I'm pricing it at levels us mortals can afford and somebody will have one of the rarest rifles in the world. Whoever did the customization did it very well, small components are beautifully fire blued, and the case colours are gorgeous. Uncustomized, its value would be astronomical, as she sits she is a beautiful rifle and very good value to a collector and hunter.

The rifle lives here in Canada with me, export to the states is simple and no challenge, I can provides hundreds of positive feedbacks on me, zero negatives from a Canadian forum I frequent, I also have strong ebay feedback and I'm on gunbroker.

Cheers folks, selling to fund Leopard. I will of course trade towards hunts and call it the deposit, too.

$8,750 including all shipping and export costs less for any sales taxes charged your end on smiled items if there is any, that's the final cost to your door.

Attachments

• 14333AC9-5591-416E-9544-EC3BC8C84A9A-19495-00000B11BEA0998D_zps9a06da80.jpg
    14333AC9-5591-416E-9544-EC3BC8C84A9A-19495-00000B11BEA0998D_zps9a06da80.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 527
  • 85A51703-431C-42D7-BF02-220E95E76636-19495-00000B11206BC1B5_zpsf16cfaeb.jpg
    85A51703-431C-42D7-BF02-220E95E76636-19495-00000B11206BC1B5_zpsf16cfaeb.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 527
  • 289A6366-EE42-4EB1-ADBE-91883EDB54D9-19668-00000B34DD10C3D8_zps44a1bb2c.jpg
    289A6366-EE42-4EB1-ADBE-91883EDB54D9-19668-00000B34DD10C3D8_zps44a1bb2c.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 628
  • 0D4907A5-C6D6-4760-8E62-207B45512E71-19495-00000B114E7F32E3_zpsd263d987.jpg
    0D4907A5-C6D6-4760-8E62-207B45512E71-19495-00000B114E7F32E3_zpsd263d987.jpg
    78.6 KB · Views: 626
  • 8251E895-7CAA-4E81-8654-1047AE76856C-19495-00000B1146F071C4_zps10774efe.jpg
    8251E895-7CAA-4E81-8654-1047AE76856C-19495-00000B1146F071C4_zps10774efe.jpg
    88.5 KB · Views: 597
Last edited by a moderator:
Its not really my cup of tea but it is a very unique/rare rifle and is definitely good looking. It was enjoyable reading this post/ad.

Appreciate the kind words, it is without exaggeration one of the rarest rifles in the world. The customization dropped its value, but for us mortals brought it into reach. Will be sad to see it go, and happy to see the deposit towards a Leopard on a branch so to speak.

Now that's a rifle !

Now that's a rifle !

Really ,it is.
Wounderful and in a good caliber.
I shot a lot with 6,5x57 (123 gr),always excellent with good shots since 200m (picture below), and 7x57 is one of our best.
@ Velo dog: do you have a recommendation for a moose hunt in Alaska,especially on horse back ?
my beloved 6,5x57.jpg

Last edited:
Foxi also check out my home, British Columbia and the Yukon. The Yukon produced the absolute world record last year, and is the best moose hunting in the world. They'll also provide you with scenery like you'll never see again. I spend most of my time two miles from where this bull was shot, and I see a bigger bull quite often who's still alive. My bull this year was 825lbs hanging in quarters.

http://www.boone-crockett.org/news/featured_story.asp?area=news&ID=186

Attachments

• IMG_4097_zpsa0b4ac1e.jpg
    IMG_4097_zpsa0b4ac1e.jpg
    166.7 KB · Views: 475
Last edited by a moderator:
Besides Africa, Northern Canada is my dream hunt!

I'm blessed to call it home Pheroz, it is a place that's hard to put into words. Just the wild lands in Canada (called Crown land) are over eight times the size of all of South Africa, and we have 2/3rds of the people and less than 10% live up in the north where the wild lands are. It is one of the last great wildernesses. Everyone hears about Alaska, but Canada's Northern Territories are many times over larger, and more wild, with a barely a fragment of the population density of Alaska.

And this is my "little" bull from this year, the 825lbs hanging quarters fellow. This is literally the smallest bull we would consider a shooter in the area.

Attachments

• 7C325706-C816-4610-9F1A-5EE7584FDE61_zpswwpapgre.jpg
    7C325706-C816-4610-9F1A-5EE7584FDE61_zpswwpapgre.jpg
    248.6 KB · Views: 496
Oh, and WDM Bell actually started his hunting career literally from where I write this post. His first employ as a hunter was as a meat hunter for remote camps in the Yukon and Northern British Columbia. You must come see it in your lifetime, National Geographic refers to my "back yard" hunting area as "The Serengeti of the North", and rightfully so.

Beautiful and unique rifle.

Thanks for sharing the info.

Foxi also check out my home, British Columbia and the Yukon. The Yukon produced the absolute world record last year, and is the best moose hunting in the world. They'll also provide you with scenery like you'll never see again. I spend most of my time two miles from where this bull was shot, and I see a bigger bull quite often who's still alive. My bull this year was 825lbs hanging in quarters.

http://www.boone-crockett.org/news/featured_story.asp?area=news&ID=186

That's a Moose. and you did not even have to be twenty feet behind it to make it look big.

I'm bringing my parachute and you can throw me out of the plane on a fly by past that big Moose.

That's a Moose. and you did not even have to be twenty feet behind it to make it look big.

I'm bringing my parachute and you can throw me out of the plane on a fly by past that big Moose.

Sounds great, the real fun as you well know is of course getting it out of the muskeg they often call home! Best way to ruin a moose hunt is to actually shoot a moose. The skull fellow there is not I, just a happy fellow we put onto the bull, that's a 60.5" if memory serves and by no means the biggest the area produces. Was sad to see him go, we watched him for years. He was put onto that bull to preserve the biggest guy for ourselves, I fear the wolves will get the "king" before I do, he's gotta be six inches or more wider than that one. Have a couple distant pics of him, always seen for seconds and usually in terrible weather. Will be neat to see what grows in the next ten years here, the genes are there.

Had him within a hundred yards calling and never got a shot, just giant antlers poking above the black spruce he was beating the crap out of, took off when I pressed forward. But that's hunting! Would be humbling to know all the brutes that got too old and slow to fight off the wolves and never were seen by a hunter, as every year a bull shows up I've never seen before, huge place up here with near zero access.

As a side note dragged this year's bulls' quarters on tarps in clouds of bugs unfortunately as it was still late August, all these workout fad gurus need to try that. But I digress!

Really ,it is.
Wounderful and in a good caliber.
I shot a lot with 6,5x57 (123 gr),always excellent with good shots since 200m (picture below), and 7x57 is one of our best.
@ Velo dog: do you have a recommendation for a moose hunt in Alaska,especially on horse back ?View attachment 34420

Good morning Foxi,

I only know one Big Game Guide (Wayne Kubat) here and he specializes in grizzly hunting.
He did used to guide trophy moose and might still have a few moose tricks up his sleeve.
However, the last person I referred to him for moose was told by Wayne that he was no longer guiding for moose.
That was about 5 or 6 years ago.

I will speak with him in late January, and will be happy to ask him about this again.
Otherwise, if you would like to communicate with him, Wayne's web site is:
www.alaskaremote.com
And his email address, phone number, etc., is listed there.
Please tell him that Paul Ard from the Gun Shows sent you (we sometimes have our displays next to each other's table).

I do not believe Wayne uses horses, except his flying horse (Super Cub/bush plane).
On horses, it would take many days to reach his concession, if even possible (many swift rivers and steep canyons) as it is in one of the most remote and truly wild places left on earth today.
There are no roads or houses there, that is for sure and the concession is exclusively his - no other Guides are allowed there by law.

I've known Wayne for approximately 30 years and I highly recommend him for bear hunting.
If he agreed to take you moose hunting, I would forget about horses and just book with him because he is the calmest, most friendly and hard working person in Alaska, and has an awesome reputation of success in guiding hunters here.

On that subject, Alaska has mis-managed our fish and wild life here so badly that the king salmon are in trouble, as are many of the formerly huge caribou herds here.
Moose numbers are so far down that my friend Wayne stopped guiding for them several years ago and changed his focus to bear.
All predator numbers are way up at the moment in Alaska, including bear.

If you still want to hunt in Alaska from horseback, I have looked on the internet for outfitters who offer it.
www.wrangelloutfitters.com and www.pioneeroutfitters.com might have what you are looking for.
However, I do not know for sure because I am not familiar with them and am just guessing by their advertisements.

Our Canadian brothers and sisters next door in British Columbia, as well as The Yukon have managed their wildlife so much more wisely and aggressively than Alaska has, resulting in much higher populations of moose and other non-predator species, like deer and caribou.

In fact, it was Canada that began a wise and aggressive program to blast ponds into the wet prairies of their country, back in the 1960's or early 1970's, thereby reversing the fast dropping numbers of water fowl in North America.
The USA eventually followed their lead and now both countries once again enjoy massive clouds of ducks, geese, cranes, swans and many other non-game species of water dependent migratory birds.
If the waterfowl had to wait for the USA to reverse their rapid decline, they would have been waiting a long, long time.

I love my country and specifically my home state but both are top heavy with greedy, lazy fat cats.
Enhancing animal and fish population numbers is evidently not on their "priority list" for Alaska.
Some other states have done well with their deer and wild turkeys but I'm afraid that Alaska does not have a bright hunting and fishing future, because of gross over-harvesting, still recklessly in motion today.

My point: (finally .....sheeesh !)
Just like Ardent said, if moose hunting is what you want, I would try The Yukon or British Columbia because they have a higher moose population density than Alaska does now.
Our Game Department here simply issues too many moose permits each year AND our feeble Court does hardly anything to punish poachers when the too few Game Wardens on patrol work so hard to capture them.

I wish you good luck my friend, and if you do decide to visit Alaska, please look me up when you are passing through Anchorage.

Kind Regards,
Velo Dog.

Last edited:
This is a very special Mauser, and likely the rarest you'll ever encounter. There are only two known Kurz Small ring Mausers, this one which is the first, and one other from a year later in 1902.

I gave my information and photos to Axel from here, a Mauser collector and friend of Jon Speed who of course literally wrote the book on sporting Mausers. He and Mr. Speed came back to me with this,

The rifle is today chambered in 7x57, with an excellent bore (rebored original barrel, it shipped as a 6.5x54, and yes x54 not x55, then chambered to 6.5x57, and finally bored and chambered to 7x57). The rifle being a Kurz requires 7x57 be hand loaded and seated to a shorter OAL length to fit the Kurz magazine (true short action, .250 Savage class), or single loading standard length rounds, a single round can be put into the magazine with the nose high. I have had it explicitly explained to me this rifle's value could be astronomical, being one of two known, and the first of the two with a "Test 1" serial number. It is however customized with a wing safety, the clip guide was removed, though tastefully, and it was drilled and tapped for a scope at some point in the past. It was of course though beautifully done, case coloured, so I'm pricing it at levels us mortals can afford and somebody will have one of the rarest rifles in the world. Whoever did the customization did it very well, small components are beautifully fire blued, and the case colours are gorgeous. Uncustomized, its value would be astronomical, as she sits she is a beautiful rifle and very good value to a collector and hunter.

The rifle lives here in Canada with me, export to the states is simple and no challenge, I can provides hundreds of positive feedbacks on me, zero negatives from a Canadian forum I frequent, I also have strong ebay feedback and I'm on gunbroker.

Cheers folks, selling to fund Leopard. I will of course trade towards hunts and call it the deposit, too.

$8,750 including all shipping and export costs less for any sales taxes charged your end on smiled items if there is any, that's the final cost to your door.

Very interesting rifle. Is the barrel half hex half round or all hex as some sporting Mausers were made prior to the Second War? Also, how did you contact Axel/Jon Speed? I have a type c made (in original 6.5x57mm) during the allied occupation of Obendorf factory (put together from available parts) that was one of two brought back by a colonel (maybe in charge during the period?). Jon Speed talks about these few rifles that were made at this time and he has the SN for those he knew about in his book. The only number I see on my rifle is 29 under the receiver. I bought the rifle from my gunsmith friend that had bought it from the widow of the colonel. I would really like to see if Mr. Jon Speed's opinion of my rifle. I bought this before Mr. Speed's book was published and my friend told me then as to where the rifle came from. Anyway, these original Mausers are truly special in every way. I also have a sporting in 9.2x63mm that was made in 1916 (based on Mr. Speed's SN list) with British proof marks. Both these rifles are very accurate. Thanks for listing your rifle. It is beautiful and I would buy it just a few years ago but like you I'm selling some to go hunting :)

Sounds like a really interesting rifle, I got in touch with Axle and Mr. Speed on the nitroexpess forums, I'll message you the screen name to contact. The barrel on mine is half round, integral full length rib. My rifle was a tough item to put a price on, and I've likely shot low, but it'll be a good investment for someone and I'll be happy to have a deposit on a Leopard. The other will likely never be seen on the open market, and it's the second one.

Good morning Foxi,

I only know one Big Game Guide (Wayne Kubat) here and he specializes in grizzly hunting.
He did used to guide trophy moose and might still have a few moose tricks up his sleeve.
However, the last person I referred to him for moose was told by Wayne that he was no longer guiding for moose.
That was about 5 or 6 years ago.

I will speak with him in late January, and will be happy to ask him about this again.
Otherwise, if you would like to communicate with him, Wayne's web site is:
www.alaskaremote.com
And his email address, phone number, etc., is listed there.
Please tell him that Paul Ard from the Gun Shows sent you (we sometimes have our displays next to each other's table).

I do not believe Wayne uses horses, except his flying horse (Super Cub/bush plane).
On horses, it would take many days to reach his concession, if even possible (many swift rivers and steep canyons) as it is in one of the most remote and truly wild places left on earth today.
There are no roads or houses there, that is for sure and the concession is exclusively his - no other Guides are allowed there by law.

I've known Wayne for approximately 30 years and I highly recommend him for bear hunting.
If he agreed to take you moose hunting, I would forget about horses and just book with him because he is the calmest, most friendly and hard working person in Alaska, and has an awesome reputation of success in guiding hunters here.

On that subject, Alaska has mis-managed our fish and wild life here so badly that the king salmon are in trouble, as are many of the formerly huge caribou herds here.
Moose numbers are so far down that my friend Wayne stopped guiding for them several years ago and changed his focus to bear.
All predator numbers are way up at the moment in Alaska, including bear.

If you still want to hunt in Alaska from horseback, I have looked on the internet for outfitters who offer it.
www.wrangelloutfitters.com and www.pioneeroutfitters.com might have what you are looking for.
However, I do not know for sure because I am not familiar with them and am just guessing by their advertisements.

Our Canadian brothers and sisters next door in British Columbia, as well as The Yukon have managed their wildlife so much more wisely and aggressively than Alaska has, resulting in much higher populations of moose and other non-predator species, like deer and caribou.

In fact, it was Canada that began a wise and aggressive program to blast ponds into the wet prairies of their country, back in the 1960's or early 1970's, thereby reversing the fast dropping numbers of water fowl in North America.
The USA eventually followed their lead and now both countries once again enjoy massive clouds of ducks, geese, cranes, swans and many other non-game species of water dependent migratory birds.
If the waterfowl had to wait for the USA to reverse their rapid decline, they would have been waiting a long, long time.

I love my country and specifically my home state but both are top heavy with greedy, lazy fat cats.
Enhancing animal and fish population numbers is evidently not on their "priority list" for Alaska.
Some other states have done well with their deer and wild turkeys but I'm afraid that Alaska does not have a bright hunting and fishing future, because of gross over-harvesting, still recklessly in motion today.

My point: (finally .....sheeesh !)
Just like Ardent said, if moose hunting is what you want, I would try The Yukon or British Columbia because they have a higher moose population density than Alaska does now.
Our Game Department here simply issues too many moose permits each year AND our feeble Court does hardly anything to punish poachers when the too few Game Wardens on patrol work so hard to capture them.

I wish you good luck my friend, and if you do decide to visit Alaska, please look me up when you are passing through Anchorage.

Kind Regards,
Velo Dog.

I'm glad word has made it around, the Yukon and BC both do a wonderful job of conservation indeed. Draws and tags can be quite limited, but when you do get one you can be assured of a strong population to hunt. Very low population in the north half of BC and the Yukon Territory also helps, the combined population of both areas is less than a 1/4 of just the city of Anchorage. Overall I would certainly recommend a guy shopping Alaska take a hard look at British Columbia and the Yukon.

Kind Regards,
Velo Dog.

Thank you fellows for your answers.

I'm very surprised,that the moose population is better in Yukon and BC than in Alsaka.
In Germany the word "Alaska" has for us hunter the best reputation,even better than Yukon.
I'm also surprised,that a moose hunt is more expensive, than a buffalo hunt in Africa ?
At the moment, I can't get a decision,sometimes a man must save his money.
I'm sure,that you guys are knowing Jack Londons "Call of the Wild".
In this fascinating book(I grew up with it),there's a chapter-headline "the call is sounding".
Every day I can hear it ......
I think you can understand me.

Thanks and greetings from Munic
Foxi

p.s. @ Velo dog
A silly question :
Could it be possible,that you have been in the Bulawayo Airport this year,in the first September week ?
I remember your picture in the prospect of Siluwe Safaris and a man was looking like you.
But I had no courage to ask him :-(

Last edited:
A moose hunt in the Yukon is an expensive hunt, a good hunt, but not light on the wallet :whistle:

My plan was to hunt my "home and native land" until I saw the prices! It was then that I started to look at Africa and found AH. Africa can actually be cheaper.

And this beautiful Mauser would be a great companion for either :). There back on track lol

Thank you fellows for your answers.

I'm very surprised,that the moose population is better in Yukon and BC than in Alsaka.
In Germany the word "Alaska" has for us hunter the best reputation,even better than Yukon.
I'm also surprised,that a moose hunt is more expensive, than a buffalo hunt in Africa ?
At the moment, I can't get a decision,sometimes a man must save his money.
I'm sure,that you guys are knowing Jack Londons "Call of the Wild".
In this fascinating book(I grew up with it),there's a chapter-headline "the call is sounding".
Every day I can hear it ......
I think you can understand me.

Thanks and greetings from Munic
Foxi

p.s. @ Velo dog
A silly question :
Could it be possible,that you have been in the Bulawayo Airport this year,in the first September week ?
I remember your picture in the prospect of Siluwe Safaris and a man was looking like you.
But I had no courage to ask him :-(

Hi again Foxi,

Yes, there were once many German citizens visiting Alaska each August, September and October for hunting and fishing.
Fish and wild animals were plentiful (by North American standards, not by African standards) and I totally understand why your fellow countrymen looked to Alaska for such adventures, it was very good here 20 or more years ago.

However, now the golden years for Alaska have past, unless someone is interested in bear.
Grizzly and blackbear both are extremely abundant now (but polar bear, although abundant, are protected by Federal Law in the USA - the crybabies win again).
Also, wolf hunting is a good bet right now in Alaska, (if you book with a proper Guide who is an expert in that grand sport).

Yes, guided buffalo hunting in Africa is usually a much better deal than guided moose hunting in N. America.
Fact is, guided hunting of any species in Africa is likely to be a better buy than guided hunts are in N. Am.
For instance, a guided grizzly hunt will cost about the same as a guided lion hunt (a wild born in the bush lion, not a fenced/farm bred lion).
However, with grizzly hunts, you will then have to pay quite a bit to add on a caribou or Dall sheep or whatever you might want in addition to the bear.
In Africa, when booking a buffalo hunt, you can add on several antelopes and a warthog or two, for a very reasonable price.

Yes, every Alaskan is quite familiar with Jack London's famous book, "Call of The Wild".
I think I read it the first time when I was about 11 or 12 years old.
Also, if you get the chance, watch the Hollywood movie; "White Fang".
Hollywood usually does not produce very good movies but, White Fang is based on one of Jack London's books and is a very good movie.

No, the obviously very handsome (not) man you saw in Bulawayo, sadly was not me.
As far as I know, my photos have not been used in any Safari Company's advertisements except in years long past for "Hannes Swanepoel Safaris, as well as "Duke Safaris" brochures and web sites.
Other happy client's faces have replaced mine in those now, during more recent years of hunting adventures.

However, my next safari plan is for either a tusk-less or management elephant.
If no elephant deal is located that I can afford, then I will change my focus to finding a hippo on land opportunity with whomever offers the best deal and who also has a proper reputation in the Safari Industry.
So, Bulawayo could very likely be a destination in transit for me in 2016.
Not sure yet because, there are also some very good offers for management elephant (broken off tusk, etc.) popping up now and then in The Caprivi Strip of Namibia.

Yes, I totally understand you regarding; "The Call is Sounding" (it is sounding for me right now, just typing about hunting ideas).
When I am far away, in any wild/remote place, where game animals are present, there is something way down in my DNA that awakens.
I cannot put it into words but, it is very real and it probably goes back to the dawn of humanity, when all of our ancestors were Hunter-Gatherers.
It has nothing to do with tape measures and record books, those are useless to me.
It has everything to do with being alive in the wild places and stalking game, making a proper clean shot and then speaking of the success around a fire with fellow hunters, while enjoying the roasted meat from the animal.
It is primitive and it is ancient and it is who I am, thank God.

Auf weidersehen for now my friend,
Velo Dog.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Marinagqe

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

thriller wrote on Bronkatowski1's profile.
Until this guy posts something on pay it forward free I would avoid him at all costs.
sgtsabai wrote on Buck51's profile.
If it hasn't sold by next week I might be interested. Stock would have to be changed along with some other items. I'm already having a 416 Rigby built so money is a tad bit tight.
The35Whelen wrote on MedRiver's profile.
Hey pal! I'll take all the .375 bullets if they're available.
Thanks!

Cody R. Sieber