Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
NRA, SCI
Hunted
USA; Nebraska South Africa; Natal
Well it is 11 months and change until my hunt in the Kwazulu Natal. I am doing the standard "Africa starter package" of a kudu, blue wildebeste, impala, bushbuck and warthog. So once again I ask those sager heads for any tips from those that have "been there, done that". I hope to her from all of yo.u

Take extra money and if your PH's eyes bug out after seeing an animal that isn't on your list, shoot!

:W Rocket Launcher:

My last time to SA I took my Ruger #1 in 300 Win Mag. I took six shots and got five animals down. The only one that took two shots was the warthog and only because my PH was concerned that it might go down one of the many holes in the area.
You are going to enjoy the time so much just take a lot of pictures as you are moving around to keep you happy as you are waiting to get them home to you.
Tom

Just enjoy the experience. Don't over think anything. Some of my best memories of my first African Safari are just the mannerisms of the people I met. I can actually still recall nearly 20 years later some of the exact conversations we had. You will get some nice trophies that is for sure but don't forget to just enjoy the culture and everything that goes with it!
Regards,
Philip
P.S. I am jealous because you just can never get that first experience feeling again!

Well it is 11 months and change until my hunt in the Kwazulu Natal. I am doing the standard "Africa starter package" of a kudu, blue wildebeste, impala, bushbuck and warthog. So once again I ask those sager heads for any tips from those that have "been there, done that". I hope to her from all of yo.u

If you're going to be in KZN, you should put Nyala on the list of "take it if it presents itself to you." It's prime country for them.

I agree with Royal, if you PH says shoot just put the cross hairs on the target and pull the trigger. Worry about the extra cost later.

KZN, has some wonderful nyala, be prepared!! Enjoy the planning..

@Royal27 and @PHOENIX PHIL beat me to it... But you MUST be prepared for Nyala! That species is why you go to KN.

Enjoy!.. Just about 30 day's to my first safari ...Namibia bound! Think I m excited??? ;)

3 weeks....Not 30 day's..Don't want to add time...(y)

KZN was the location of my first safari. My bag was the same, except Nyala rather than Bushbuck. It is true, once you have been, you WILL go again. I just returned from my second safari for Buffalo, Eland, Zebra and Bushbuck. You will enjoy KZN and, like Phil said, consider Nyala as that is the place to hunt them. Out of curiosity, what outfitter are you going with?

IMG_3928.jpg

Do add Nyala to the list if you are on the right property.
They have a few. Sometimes you can find a double, if you have no self control.

Take extra money and if your PH's eyes bug out after seeing an animal that isn't on your list, shoot!

:W Rocket Launcher:
If I hear a whispered "that's the biggest(insert profanity and animal) I've ever seen!" I'm shooting I can make more money I may never see a huge whatever again! Thanks for the tip!

My last time to SA I took my Ruger #1 in 300 Win Mag. I took six shots and got five animals down. The only one that took two shots was the warthog and only because my PH was concerned that it might go down one of the many holes in the area.
You are going to enjoy the time so much just take a lot of pictures as you are moving around to keep you happy as you are waiting to get them home to you.
Tom
I'm going a little larger with a .375 with 250 grain bullets. I may only be able to afford one rifle and I can shoot everything in Africa with it. And you can never kill anything too dead. I am practicing with my camera already, much to my friends dismay. thanks for the info!

Just enjoy the experience. Don't over think anything. Some of my best memories of my first African Safari are just the mannerisms of the people I met. I can actually still recall nearly 20 years later some of the exact conversations we had. You will get some nice trophies that is for sure but don't forget to just enjoy the culture and everything that goes with it!
Regards,
Philip
P.S. I am jealous because you just can never get that first experience feeling again!
Thanks for the great advice. I'll do my best to keep it simple, hunt hard when I'm hunting and soak in being in Africa when I'm not. I'm rather wowed that I can make an old Africa hand jealous! Thank you.

If you're going to be in KZN, you should put Nyala on the list of "take it if it presents itself to you." It's prime country for them.
I'll be meeting with the owner in Feb. you get a 30% discount on the trophy fee if you switch species on a package. I'll ask an opinion on what the better trophies are. But after the overwhelming response I may work some extra overtime and just get one.

I agree with Royal, if you PH says shoot just put the cross hairs on the target and pull the trigger. Worry about the extra cost later.
I am not foolish enough to pass on a shot that the PH wouldn't talk to me afterwards. I'll make the money, it's a once in a lifetime shot!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DenaI60135

Latest profile posts

Looking to hire Odoo developers in UAE, USA In o2b technologies has skilled and experienced Odoo developers at competitive pricing Consult Now!

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!