The Best 180 gr 300 WM bullet for plains game

Swift A-Frames for me.

My take on the Barnes: I use them as required here and have done a ton of testing over my Chrono for sped and accuracy. Barnes bullets preform best when pushed fast. A 180 gr is too heavy for reliable performance in a 308win. A 180gr barnes will act like a 234gr cup and core. It will also have expansion problems. A better choice would be a 130gr TTSX of maybe a 150gr TTSX. The TTSX expand better and faster than the TSX. That info came from barnes.

Fellow Hunters,

Even though I have never owned or hunted with a .300 Winchester, I have owned and hunted in a very open part of Namibia with the .300 H&H (Alaska as well, on open tundra / not a tree in sight).
I've had perfect results with the now somewhat old fashioned Nosler 180 grain Partition, at about 2850 fps muzzle velocity (was the most accurate load in my particular Mauser).
It is therefore that I presume this bullet would work in the Winchester version, at least for long shots at most species of so called plains game.
But, I should mention that I would not have chosen this bullet, (or even a .30 caliber) if eland would have been available where I went.

That being said, I think the Swift A-Frame is "like a Nosler Partition on steroids" and therefore, so much the better for really tough PG species (zebra, waterbuck, eland and others).
My way of thinking however, is that a 180 grain .300 magnum is a specialized tool for long shots at thin skinned animals, such as deer, elk and most African PG, not so much for closer range shots at really large/heavy boned animals, such as N. American bison and a couple of the largest African PG species.
But again, if you are set on a 180 gr bullet in the .300 Winchester (or any typical .30 caliber hunting rifle for Africa, magnum or otherwise), I would try some range time with the A-Frame and find out if your particular rifle will throw them accurately or not.
If it does, I'd say that is your bullet.

Blah, blah, blah, out,
Velo "Slow Heavy Blunt Bullet Head" Dog.

I've used three different bullets on PG out of my 300 Win Mag. They were the old 180 gr Partition Gold, 180 gr Barnes TSX and the 145 gr CEB ESP Raptor. Not a single critter I've shot with these bullets survived.

Having said that, the 180 TSX is the bullet I've used most extensively, and is probably my favorite. Accuracy has always been superb and performance excellent. Yet, I wouldn't hesitate to use many of the premium bullets available on the market today provided the accuracy is up to standard.

Bigkudu.
I'm more o less convinced that you should use Impala LS 130 gr ( 8,4 grams ).
Speed 1075 m/s and energy 4864 (J) ( 250 Meters, 811 m/s and 2767 joule ) 50 Meters +0,4 cm, 100 Meters +3,5 cm. 200 Meters +1,3 cm and 250 Meters - 4,6 cm. So everything with 250 meters, you don't need to think up or down, just aim and shoot ! You will also have animals down on spot, and to all meat lovers, no meat damages.
Try it, you will like it.
Check out impalabullets.at
Michael
I really do want to hear more reports from people who have used the Impala bullets before I make up mmy mind on them. When I first heard about them, they seemed like the ultimate hunting bullet: insant killing power, flattest trajectory, low recoil, and no meat damage. What makes me suspicious of these bullets (keep in mind I have never used them before) is that when I emailed Impala bullets to ask about how the bullets actually work (I was under the impression that they relied on some sort of energy dump idea) I was told that all of the bullets will kill exactly the same regardless of whether or not it is going 2,000 fps or 4,000 fps. This just confused me even more and so I have been scared off from actually using them.

I used the 180 gr. Nosler partition for everything from springbok to eland. The eland I toke was quartering away at around 225 yards and the nosler went through the front part of the stomach and smashes the off shoulder. He went down in about three steps. I hit a zebra on the shoulder stripes perfectly and he ran a couple hundred yards leaving a blood trail even I could follow. My PH favored rifles in the 7mm and 30 caliber range for plains game. He didn't feel eland were that hard to kill. I used the 300 ruger compact mag. with handload loaded to 2815fps.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MckinleySv

Latest profile posts

85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.