The 20th Century's Top Rifle Cartridge

Marius , let the ball roll on !!! need to know the perceptions , subject we all savor & cherish ....

Monish

The only thing better the argueing about these cartridges is shooting them!:D

Kiwi 505,

No debates ,but pure healthy disscusions !! all of us here have had some or the other set of self experience with these astounding established calibers , lets listen to the individual perceptions ...

Monish

Christian , you agree with what ??? the perceptions ?? or the experience ??? one has had with these mentioned calibers on the ground zero during a hunt ?? good ,bad or ugly ?????
Not sure I understand what you're saying? I was just saying the only thing more fun than discussing cartridges is shooting them. If you're asking me what hutning experience I have with these cartridges, then not much. I have only been deer hunting since age 10, and I'm 13 right now. The only cartridge I have a lot experience with is the .22 long rifle. I have probably fired over 2000 rounds of 22 long rifle, and I have killed (I believe) 10 Woodchucks with the 22 l.r.

Christian,

Its learning time always, as every hunter has his own likes or dislikes about the fireams & calibers. Lets hear to the various voices on this subject as for a hunter the ornament is his rifle. I have been into big bores since my childhood, so I have a set idea concieved in using & firing more of the bigger bores . The .375 H&H Magnum is a caliber Iam die hard fan of & have taken maximum of the heads with it . Just trying to like the 460 Weatherby Magnum, which is my latest possession. This is how lots of hunter do have their perception in choosing a caliber which many use it all their lives.

Iam very impressed with all the wonderful knowledge & passion you have on for this wonderful sport & firearms, I had been the same at your age , & it was more of a obsession . I bet you sure are a worthy Big Game Hunter in making . The .22 is the most versatile small projectile in the world, and its the only cartridge I believe ,has the mention of 1.5 mile caution on the cartridge box.
I have been using lots of .22 LRs of CCI Stingers 34 grainers, & Eleys . What rifle have you been using to take the chuckies???

All the best , & do procure a .375H&H magnum when you graduate into big game hunting, you would never regret....

Happy Hunting !!!

Monish

Christian,

Its learning time always, as every hunter has his own likes or dislikes about the fireams & calibers. Lets hear to the various voices on this subject as for a hunter the ornament is his rifle. I have been into big bores since my childhood, so I have a set idea concieved in using & firing more of the bigger bores . The .375 H&H Magnum is a caliber Iam die hard fan of & have taken maximum of the heads with it . Just trying to like the 460 Weatherby Magnum, which is my latest possession. This is how lots of hunter do have their perception in choosing a caliber which many use it all their lives.

Iam very impressed with all the wonderful knowledge & passion you have on for this wonderful sport & firearms, I had been the same at your age , & it was more of a obsession . I bet you sure are a worthy Big Game Hunter in making . The .22 is the most versatile small projectile in the world, and its the only cartridge I believe ,has the mention of 1.5 mile caution on the cartridge box.
I have been using lots of .22 LRs of CCI Stingers 34 grainers, & Eleys . What rifle have you been using to take the chuckies???

All the best , & do procure a .375H&H magnum when you graduate into big game hunting, you would never regret....

Happy Hunting !!!

Monish
I have Been using a Savage Mark II.

Christian,

Thats a very fine rifle .

happy Hunting !!!!

Monish
Thanks.

BTW, I forgot but I forgot to say that I have had experience with the .30-30 Win. I shot a small 6 point buck with it 3 years ago at 30 yards and he collapsed right there. I wasn't going to let him get away, so I shot him 2 or 3 more times, but I didn't know that I had broke his shoulder and he wasn't going anywhere.

Christian,

Thats another fine saddle rifle designed by John Browning 30-30 (7.62x51)from the old West ,do you have a winchester underlever 1894 ?? Credible , you took your first deer at 10 ... great going ...

Monish

Christian,

Thats another fine saddle rifle designed by John Browning 30-30 (7.62x51)from the old West ,do you have a winchester underlever 1894 ?? Credible , you took your first deer at 10 ... great going ...

Monish
I shot him with a model 94 Trapper Youth rifle with open sights. Thanks for the compliment.:D

Here is a pic with me and my buck.

watermark.php

Here is the mount.

watermark.php

Last edited by a moderator:
Christian,

Thats a very impressive debut trophy buck you took there Congrats!!!!! A memorable hunt of your life time ..

Keep it up , you gotta have a long way to go hunting the big game. May you procure record class heads in the future times to come ...... ( Very neat lil.. rifle )

Happy Hunting Always !!!!

Monish

Christian,

Thats a very impressive debut trophy buck you took there Congrats!!!!! A memorable hunt of your life time ..

Keep it up , you gotta have a long way to go hunting the big game. May you procure record class heads in the future times to come ...... ( Very neat lil.. rifle )

Happy Hunting Always !!!!

Monish
Thanks, but it isn't considered a trophy as far as measurements go. I hate measurements though, it is a trophy in my mind and that is all that matters. When I hunt, it is not for a trophy, it is for the experience. When I finally get to Africa I will not be there for trophys, I'll be there because it is a place that I want to go and hunt, more so than any other place in the world.

Christian,

You said it allright !! but Dont get into inches & measurements , its your first big game trophy at 10 and thats a remarkable achievement & top of it using a 7.62 rifle (30-30) .
Otherwise , Its all the time & those wonderful moments well spent doing the best thing that you love , adore & cherish --- HUNTING WITH ETHICS & DUE RESPECT TO THE GAME .... which would live on in your memory for ever & ever..
Iam sure youd be a African hunt bug bitten . the day you tread on to the Hunters paradise called "AFRICA'.

Happy Hunting ..

Monish

Christian,

You said it allright !! but Dont get into inches & measurements , its your first big game trophy at 10 and thats a remarkable achievement & top of it using a 7.62 rifle (30-30) .
Otherwise , Its all the time & those wonderful moments well spent doing the best thing that you love , adore & cherish --- HUNTING WITH ETHICS & DUE RESPECT TO THE GAME .... which would live on in your memory for ever & ever..
Iam sure youd be a African hunt bug bitten . the day you tread on to the Hunters paradise called "AFRICA'.

Happy Hunting ..

Monish
I am sure I will love Africa when I finally get there. I'm very confident that I will go to the dark continent someday and hopefully go back several times. I am that interested in Africa that I seriously have dreams about moving there!

I don't care what the measurements are, any deer you take at age 10 is a fine trophy indeed!

Thank you Cossack!

The .22 is the most versatile small projectile in the world, and its the only cartridge I believe ,has the mention of 1.5 mile caution on the cartridge box.

That is because a few people don't have a respect for the .22 L.R, they think that they can just shoot it in any old direction because it isn't very powerful. It may not be a very fast cartridge, but it is still dangerous out to 1.5 miles. Here is an example: About two years ago (somewhere around Pennsylvania), there were two people talking in a front yard. They were talking for a while and all of a sudden the 1 person collapsed dead. The autopsy revealed that a .22 L.R bullet struck him in the head and penetrated far enough to hit the brain. Now, I suspect somebody was shooting at some squirrel in a tree, or some Dove on a telephone wire or pole. So, they have to put that on the box for the occasional idiot.

Now, something like a .22-250 or a .220 Swift would be dangerous out to a distance many rimes that of a .22 L.R, but most people respect those cartridges as dangerous.

I second that!
Thank you Kiwi! That was my first day of Deer season too. I love it in the mornings when I wake up staring at him (he's in my bedroom), it reminds me of the best day of my life.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MorrisFloc

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg