Fritz Rabe

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Member of
CPHC-SA, South African Bowhunting Association (SABA) Instructor, NSRI
Hunted
SA, Botswana, Zimbabwe, Zambia, Namibia, Mozambique, Ethipoia, Cameroon, CAR, Tanzania, Canada, USA, Spain
I was sent a bunch of arrows and broad heads of a new design from the USA to test. I test them on animals to get the practical penetration and quality of them.
These new arrows and heads were designed for big, thick skinned or heavy animals.
I shot a old Blue Wildebeest two days ago to start the testing.
The shot was quartering towards (on purpose) and the arrow hit the BWB on the shoulder joint. It went through the joint in a straight line and stopped in the hip-bone of the opposite leg. The head was still fine and only needed re-sharpening.
Here are a few pics of the damage that it caused on the shoulder. The BWB only went for 7 seconds in a circle and then collapsed.

BWB.JPG

BWB1.JPG

BWB2.JPG

Considderable damage there Fritz - jeez!

Bloody Hell - that would have ruined his whole day! Impressive!

Fritz,
Lots of Hemmorage.

Got some pictures of the Broadhead? Before and after?

How far away?
Arrow weight?

Yeah, inquiring minds want to know....what does the broadhead look like? Who makes it? Different weights available?

Fritz,
Lots of Hemmorage.

Got some pictures of the Broadhead? Before and after?

How far away?
Arrow weight?

I shall take a few pics of the head and post it later. The head weighs 265gr and the total arrow with 3 x 5 inch feathers weighs 1100gr.

The BWB was exactly 20y away and I shot it with my Bowtech Beast at 92lb @ 228fps.

I shall take a few pics of the head and post it later. The head weighs 265gr and the total arrow with 3 x 5 inch feathers weighs 1100gr.

The BWB was exactly 20y away and I shot it with my Bowtech Beast at 92lb @ 228fps.

That's what I thought must have been behind that penetration. Thanks.

Look forward to those pictures. You need a quality broadhead to put up with that.

A 265gr head and 1100gr of total arrow weight?? That's not an arrow, thats a SCUD missile....Holy crap...!
Now you have my curiousity... I want to see this set-up...

A 265gr head and 1100gr of total arrow weight?? That's not an arrow, thats a SCUD missile....Holy crap...!

I would agree with the whole missile thing. That's a heavy setup for sure. Good damage. So what animal is next?

A Scud missle would have hit it in the horn ;)

Very impressive penetration. My doctor has said extra weight is very dangerous to health, I just didnt realize he was talking about Wildebeest. (although he is South African)

Here are the photos of the new broad head and the way that they attach to the shaft.

BH.jpg

BH1.jpg

BH2.jpg

BH3.jpg

BH4.jpg

Interesting design.
How wide?
Keeps the shaft diameter under the broad head.
Sure help penetration.

How was the end of the shaft from taking the force?

Did you video tape the flight at any point? (practice)
Interesting to see how they flew.
That offset blade require that size fletching?
Did this broad head design effect the flight? (not likely at 20 yards)

I had to get large fletching on my arrows to stabilize the Germin kinetics.

I've seen those on another forum. Are they going to be available for the public to purchase?

Interesting design.
How wide?
Keeps the shaft diameter under the broad head.
Sure help penetration.

How was the end of the shaft from taking the force?

Did you video tape the flight at any point? (practice)
Interesting to see how they flew.
That offset blade require that size fletching?
Did this broad head design effect the flight? (not likely at 20 yards)

I had to get large fletching on my arrows to stabilize the Germin kinetics.

The ones that were sent to me are 1 1/8th wide.
The shaft actually screws into the broad head. The base of the head is recessed by 1 cm so that the shaft fits into the head and not only at the back.
Only the very back end of the shaft was broken halfway down the fletching.
I did not video tape the flight. I would not have attempted the shot if the flight was anything but 110% true.
I was sent 5 inch left feathers with the shafts and heads. I am used to right helical but the heads were beveled left so I had to get everything in left.
I started with 5 inch feathers but also tested 4 and 3 inch. They all flew 100% true out to 60y.
I prefer using 4 inch feathers on all my arrows no matter whet the weight is.

I've seen those on another forum. Are they going to be available for the public to purchase?

Yes Tom. These are the same that you saw on the other forum. The designer sent them to me for testing. I do not know if they will be available to the public yet. I just have to do the testing and send the results back.
I am going to shoot a few Giraffe in the near future and will test them properly then.
I am so impressed with them that I want to use the design on full frontal and full rear end shots on Impala size animals to see if I can get a complete pass through.

Fritz, oh please do share those photos as well. Giraffe would be a good test animal as well. cant wait to see the results!

Fritz, oh please do share those photos as well. Giraffe would be a good test animal as well. cant wait to see the results!

I shall do just that. I promised the designer that I would give proper feedback on all the testing including photos. Just give some time. I am busy with hunters at the moment and have to wait until I get a gap.

All those results should be made available to the various governments to rethink buffalo hunting with bows.
Given the right equipment there should be no issues.

I would like to see one of these going through a Buffalo shoulder.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edwardsrailcarcom00

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg