Tell me about Takedown Rifles

Should these rifles be switch-barrel rigs, or takedown rigs with spare barrels?

• Takedown

• Switch barrel

Results are only viewable after voting.

IronCowboy

AH veteran
Reaction score
I'm considering throwing an extra twist into my current rifle project, but I'd like a few opinions before I dive into it.

I have a couple take-down 22lr rifles, and a takedown Marlin 1895, and since this current rifle project will be a pair of rifles with a pair of extra barrels to go with them, I'm considering making them takedown rifles as well.

My only hang ups are that I don't love the way the "seam" looks on the stocks, and I'd have to come up with a forend mounting strategy that I like, since I will have the barrels free floating.

Any thoughts? Any guys with takedown bolt guns care to chime in on the practicality? Any problems, perks, advantages, disadvantages, breakdowns, etc? Anyone had one that hated it? Anyone have one that loves it?

(Reminder here: The current project is a matched set of Ruger M77 Hawkeye All-Weather rifles that will be converted to fancy walnut stocks, with two switch-barrels for each - one rifle in 7mm mag and 338win mag for my wife, and one rifle in 300win mag and 458win mag for myself. We're planning to hunt stateside with the 7mm and 300wm barrels, then twist on the larger bores when we head across the pond a few times in our lives. So the question is - takedown, or no?).

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
warpig602.0

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross