Founder
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Website
www.africahunting.com
Media
Articles
Technology Catches Up With Rhino Poachers

Mbombela — A rhino DNA sample kit is expected to help prosecutors be even tougher on those caught with rhino horns.

If DNA tests positively link a horn to a specific rhino carcass, suspects will no longer get away with only a charge of possession, they will also be charged with the illegal hunting of rhino and theft.

"DNA evidence can now be used to link suspects found in possession of horns with the actual carcass, irrespective of how much time has passed," said Advocate Johan Kruger, national head of the Organised Crime component in the office of the National Director of Public Prosecutions.

Chief executive of South African National Parks (SANParks), David Mabunda, said the kit would also assist all rhino owners and managers to document individual rhinos in their care.

"We would like to encourage them to take full advantage of this opportunity so that we may be able to better protect our rhinos from criminals," he said.

Mabunda said information gathered from the DNA samples would be stored on a central database accessible to registered professionals. A full DNA sample is estimated to cost about R1 680 per rhino, but Mabunda said initial DNA tests and registration would be done free of charge.

"This will also be freely available in the unfortunate case of a rhino poaching incident," he said.

The department of genetics at Onderstepoort developed the DNA kit in collaboration with SANParks, the NPA and the Hawks.

The DNA kit was revealed to members of the National Wildlife Crime Reaction Unit from the NPA, Hawks, SANParks and environmental management investigators from provincial conservation authorities who recently attended a crime scene management course.

The course provided prosecutors with first hand experience of the challenges investigators face in securing and safe-guarding a scene in the veld. They also learned the methods used to search for, locate and collect specific evidence material on a scene.

Mabunda said SANParks and private funders were funding the DNA project.

He said SANParks would use funds from ivory sales in 2009 to contribute to the project. South African Breweries has also already sponsored R100 000 towards the project. No date has been set on when the DNA kits will start being used.

Mabunda said last month alone, South Africa lost 21 rhinos, while 31 arrests were made. In 2010, 333 rhinos were killed.

"The loss of 333 rhinos to poaching in 2010 was a devastating loss for SANParks. We are determined to curb that in 2011. Anyone who is involved in poaching at whatever level will be a prime target for our investigations and we will leave no stone unturned in this respect, including going for the kingpins of these operations," said Mabunda.

Source: buanews.gov.za

Excellent news.

Very glad to hear this news! Will take off a lot of stress from farm owners who owns these animals if the poaching can be reduced.

Sounds like good a idea....to discourage poaching!!! Should help the white rhino!

It's about time! the animals can't wait much longer. i just hope they enact this program quickly & decrease poaching before tme runs out on the rhino!

This is good news...eventually they will have a conviction.

Good news for prosecutors cases.
I'd expect the stakes just went up a long way. Those rangers had better have some good equipment to deal with the folks who are going to think poaching is still worth while.

HI

what is the punishment for poaching a rhino?

I would hope it would be the same fate for him as it was the Rhino!!

Come on Calhoun, we know that isn't going to happen (lol). The punishment depends upon who gets caught? A lot times it's just fines....everything is kept pretty quiet.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
febixix695

Latest profile posts

Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Francois R wrote on Lance Hopper's profile.
Hi Lance hope you well. The 10.75 x 68 did you purchase it in the end ? if so are you prepared to part with it ? rgs Francois