Taxidermy shipping-ship or airplane?

And that is what I have been saying for a long time. The daily rates are one thing. Trophy selection and the associated trophy fees are another. Lastly the costs outside of the hunt itself quickly stack up and if you take a non-hunter with you the cheap plains hunt ends up being one hell of a lot more than the "cheaper than an elk hunt" statements I see all the time.

Yes you get to pull the trigger more times and rack up a lot more kills in a short period of time, if that is your main concern. Yes you can expect great hospitality and a super experience. But........make sure you understand all of the costs associated up front. Your $7000 plains hunt can easily add up to $15,000 or more by the time the dust settles.

Also, I will never have game mounted in Africa. I always have my animals shipped home from anywhere I hunt dipped and packed. Shipping is way cheaper that way. Strongly consider European mounts for some animals. For shoulder and life size mounts there are super taxidermists in the US and Canada or where ever you live if you do your homework before hand and locate them. You can then also have them mounted over a period of time instead of getting hammered with the full taxidermy and shipping bill all at one time.

Just my 2 cents.

SHIPPING FROM SA

First time hunter to SA will be there in April. Are the regulations different then what you can do from Canada to the US, where you can ship horns on your return flight if all the meat is cleaned off? I'm more interested in spending money on return trips then taxidermy but would like to at least keep the horns. Also if you hope to make multiple trips and have to handle it through a shipping agent etc. would it make sense to combine several trips trophies into one shipment?

First time hunter to SA will be there in April. Are the regulations different then what you can do from Canada to the US, where you can ship horns on your return flight if all the meat is cleaned off? The answer is no they must be dip and shipped seperately. And the costs have gone through the roof, the taxidermist are no longer doing this service cheaplyI'm more interested in spending money on return trips then taxidermy but would like to at least keep the horns. Also if you hope to make multiple trips and have to handle it through a shipping agent etc. would it make sense to combine several trips trophies into one shipment?
I'm not sure you can work something out with a taxidermist or a outfitter...but it would certainly save you a lot of money.

The regulations are a lot different and are getting stricter everyday.

Doing European mounts (shiny skull with the horns, can even be pricey). Most of these companies charge a arm and two legs for crating and preparing the paperwork for shipping. Notice I said 2 legs, not just one.

I would seriously look at a lot of taxidermy and dip and ship companies before I go to Africa....do yourself a huge favor and get some quotes and ask a lot of questions.

Whether is dip and ship, taxidermy and crating in Africa....it's not cheap, and I and few other good friends believe it has gotten way out of hand...as far as price vs quality of service.

I know a ton of people that have quite hunting in Africa just because of the costs I just mentioned. They love the hunting, but the costs to get the animals home, is truly getting crazy.

Enysse.............just a thought, but you know I do all of my own European mounts. It is not hard to do and it does save a bundle. I make my own plaques out of oak, walnut or maple and router the edges. You can soak your skulls and put the horns back on and mount them very easily and most of what you need to know is on the internet. I know taxidermists that will be happy to tell you what to do and use because they have so much work they do not want to mess with them.

I just finished doing the skull from my wood bison and it turned out great.

Some of the extra fees are insane. I have recently seen $2500 for a temporary rifle import permit, $3000 for dip and pack. When much of this is done in the land of employees that make a few dollars a day it does not make a lot of sense.

I think European mounts can look really good. And in North America it's really easy to control. The way things are taken care of in Africa....is a whole different story. It's like most things, you can fix most things, but if the project was done right the first time there would be no need for fixes. I just can't live with the costs....and that's me....maybe I never get the farmer out of my blood.

I think that why I have the taxidermy done in Africa, dip and ship can cost as much to ship as full taxidermy....I know it's crazy. People are happy to have there stuff done in North America, but you are are going to add thousands to your bill, and there are only a few companies I would do business with on the dip and ship end in Africa...you can spend a lot of money and get ruined hides shipped to North America and what is your recourse then....buy capes.

The real kickers in the shipping game are the crating expences, the shipping, and paper work...you can really do a small shipment and it will cost you a arm and a leg and you may want to stock up on the liquor, when the bill comes.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jessica87G

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross