AH legend
Reaction score
Deals & offers
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Hunted
united state- Co Nm Mt Wy Pa , canada ,mexico ,south africa- Northwest, Limpopo, freestste.Northern cape,East cape, namibia
Thought I would post some picture of what I have so far. Wanted to see what kind of time one would take to make and do just a basic one to start. This is just made or fir nothing fancy but once stained up and cleared it will look very nice.

Was even thinking of maybe running a piece of zebra hide in between the two lines but not sure yet. Will stain this one up a reddish brown color soon.

This one is 21" wide at the widest point and just around 5ft tall.

20161004_180623.jpg
20161004_175757.jpg

Nothing screams Africa like Fir! It looks really good. Is it just glued, or did you use biscuits?

Started with 1 1/4" rough boards that I planned down then glued and biscuits to make as strong as I can. The fir is strong and I can stain it almost any color so not sure if I will use another wood or not yet.

Now to make two spears to match!

yup trying to figure that part out next.

Looks great so far. The zebra hide sounds pretty cool. How would you attach (glue type, etc.) the hide?

Looks great so far. The zebra hide sounds pretty cool. How would you attach (glue type, etc.) the hide?

Yes was thinking of gluing it to the shield and putting the edge of the hide in the grooves cut in the wood. That would stop it from having an edge that you would see or could catch on anything. Not sure of what kind of glue yet what to look into what will work best

I am thinking the zebra hide would look really cool on the shield. I am going to just tape some on take a pic for guys to see and get some ideas what guys like.

Great work Bill. but I think some of that fire breathing super scary giraffe skin would look great on there!

KillerGiraffe_thumb14.png

Great work Bill. but I think some of that fire breathing super scary giraffe skin would look great on there!

View attachment 160505

Haha I agree it just may look really good on a shield. Just need to pick the right color stain to offset the giraffe skin nicely. I have a few ideas I will do over the winter so time will tell what looks goods.

@billc when can you get started on mine?

@billc when can you get started on mine?

LOL wait till I get this one done and then we can talk. I wanted to see and show this one when I get it all done. Just maybe I could bring it down when Pieter comes over and we do that show down your way maybe before if all goes well.

@billc I just did a search on 'gluing leather to wood' and some woodworkers and shoe repair guys say use contact cement. One product listed was 3M - NF30. John

You could always use a strip of wood made to fit the groove to hold the hide in. Even can be a darker color. Looks great so far, now you're at the part I dislike, the finishing. Keep us posted.

Looking good. Just finished one tonight myself. I found a blacksmith that will make the spears but he is too expensive for me. I tried to only use hand tools to make this one but the more I look at photos of the ones coming out of Africa, they are definitely using power tools. I'd post some pics, but the shield was for another member, so I'll let him take the photos once he puts his trophies on it.

I will check on that glue or maybe use that wood strip idea for hide idea. I don't mind the finishing part at all but that is from helping my dad refinish old rocking chairs as I learn to like what that step does in the end. Thinking I will use a matte finish no a gloss finish.

Jody this was cut out general shape on band saw but hand planed and sanded after rough shape was figured out. I have not decide on if I should make wood spears or metal or combo of both. Not sure it really matters in the end as both would be strong enough to hold some skulls up on the shield

Regarding spears, how much does it cost to buy them in South Africa? Take the metal part off if too long and have them sent along in the crate with the animals..... In fact now that I'm thinking of it, I need a couple of those hand hammered axes also... And a well used panga...

Bill, I am really interested to see how it turns out. It looks good already. I have had a go at making a shield myself but it turned out a bit rough. Maybe second go will be better. Is the shield convex shaped or is it flat?

Bill, I am really interested to see how it turns out. It looks good already. I have had a go at making a shield myself but it turned out a bit rough. Maybe second go will be better. Is the shield convex shaped or is it flat?

The back is flat but the front goes from 1 1/4" thickness in the center down to 1/2 thickness on the edge. I could go further but wanted the shield to stay strong and not have some thin edge that could break easily.

Not sure of stain color yet but did try out a piece of zebra hide just to see what it looks like.

20161005_184800.jpg

Very sharp even with the wood unstained.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LawerenceC

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!