Taxidermy Progress Reports

I only have 1 shipment to comment on, hardly enough to know anything concrete, but Zingela forwarders did a great job for me last year. They will have my business again. (Please dont say it was Zingela that is giving you the run around)

I only have 1 shipment to comment on, hardly enough to know anything concrete, but Zingela forwarders did a great job for me last year. They will have my business again. (Please dont say it was Zingela that is giving you the run around)

You are safe at the moment.

What I have found through all of this, repeated shipments, is that NO COMPANY is immune to mistakes or errors that can compound quickly.
I care more about how they fix it and make it right. After the errors are cleared up they are being great. Pictures being offered, insights into the industry and truthful responses and assistance in gaining other quotes.
In a cut throat industry where someone just attempted to hijack their client they are offering to provide details required for the competition to offer a quote.
With this more professional approach being presented I am starting to think this all started with some small clerical error.

Tomorrow morning I'll have more news, hopefully all good. Maybe some pictures to.

If you have someone you like use them. Make sure you get all the information correct and ask every question you can think of, just to make sure.

Some photos of the shipment that were sent before the Easter Weekend Holiday break.
Closed at noon and now the wait until work starts again next week.

The biggest crate of trophies thus far.
Definitely my trophies.

The outside of the crate getting a sun bath.
watermark.php

The Euro Mounts and skins framed to the bottom of the crate.
watermark.php

The Shoulder Mounts bolted to the crates walls.
watermark.php

The Euro Mounts in plastic
watermark.php

Last edited by a moderator:
Attachments dont open. Get the invalid note.

Ses, asked the boss to fix it.

I woke up this morning thinking about the crate and bugs after the local CFIA guy was warning about spiders and such showing up in crates and creating the need for fumigation and more added expense.

I wondered how could a spider be getting into the crates.... Being left open outside beside a building perhaps.
(Which you can see when the pictures are fixed)

I'll be making certain that there are moth balls thrown into this crate before it is closed, just to make sure. I do not need this crates creating any more excitement.

March 28 the critters entered the crate at the Taxidermist.

I have now spent just about three weeks investigating errors and getting quotes to get my trophies onto a plane. My choice as I could have just paid the money but, I wanted the full Africa experience. :)

I got my quotes to send the crate via British Airways:
$1809.00 vs $2353.00
Guess where my crate is now?

The numbers through time:

Tracks Freight
First Estimate $1747.00
Second Estimate $1192.00 (which should have read $1992.00)
Notice that the final invoice would be over $2000.00 (given the math error on the second estimate this caused some concern!)
Third Estimate of $2390.00 (incorrect volumetric weight)
Final Firm Quote $2353.00 (correct volumetric weight via BA)
I asked for a competitive quote via BA. If the quote would have been competitive I would have used them.

Safari Cargo
First Estimate $2418.90
Second Estimate $1828.47
Final Firm Quote 1809.37 (via BA)

Zingela
First Estimate $2334.82 (no idea which airline)

SBS
First guess $2400.00
Final estimate $1996.93 (after given exact dimensions and that it was crated already.)

EMIAC
Did not respond, even though I was referred directly. ???

Access
Did not respond. ???

Specialized Trophy Logistics
Apparently Out of Business. Bounced Email. ???

Shopping around definitely paid for your time invested. 2 of 3 in the same ballpark, I hope the cheap one is legit with no hidden add ons etc.

Shopping around definitely paid for your time invested. 2 of 3 in the same ballpark, I hope the cheap one is legit with no hidden add ons etc.

They are legit alright. I used them on another shipment and they were just fine, as reported earlier.
I was not trying to shop around really. I was forced to to make sure that I was not being taken for a ride.

The payment has been made. Looking forward to the trophies. (With shipping trepidation)

Good to know. I am sure you will let us know how things go. Looks like a 20% savings to me.

I am guessing by the $$ you went with safari cargo systems? That's who has my trophies now. Just sent an email today inquiring about my expired permits? Got a response about an hour later saying he should have them in the next day or so. Other than this permit thing Andrew has been very prompt and helpful. Hopefully I can pay them by the end of the week and get my trophies!

Man this is the best part!

I am guessing by the $$ you went with safari cargo systems? That's who has my trophies now. .....

Safari Cargo has the trophies now. Measurements confirmed, rate confirmed and payment received.

I have emailed daily requesting updates.

Today's reply:
"Currently, we are experiencing difficulties with our main systems and are unable to submit the required documentation of your shipment to the appropriate airline.
We are hoping to have our systems restored before the weekend, and have made all preliminary arrangements for your shipment to both Customs and Nature Conservation in the interim."

You have never seen game animals this tough! They just won't go down of the count. They want to stay in Africa for every last minute they can.

Scheduled, tentatively to leave JNB April 21. We'll see if the Karmic effect on the computer system is still in effect by Friday. :)

I shipped my trophies back through Rex Frieght Forward in 2010 first Estimate was $1600 after getting them crated and a good Estimate the price jumped to $2100 but it was worth it good communication always knew where my trophies were at, air shippment put them at my house 3 days from the time they left Port Elizabeth.

I shipped my trophies back through Rex Frieght Forward in 2010 first Estimate was $1600 after getting them crated and a good Estimate the price jumped to $2100 but it was worth it good communication always knew where my trophies were at, air shipment put them at my house 3 days from the time they left Port Elizabeth.

Bob, communication has been good with all the people/companies I have dealt with. It is some of the details in that communication that have caused issues.
If I did not change my shipment contents, I would be (and was) perturbed by the $500 increase you describe.

Hunter's are so happy (euphoric) just to get their trophies, no one is demanding tight quotes and this is some of the issue. Many hunters focus on the trophy fee's and day rates on the front end, but few bother to do the work at the other end.
How would you feel if the Outfitter upped your Trophy Fees or Day Rates by 20 to 25% the day you got on the plane?!

At first, I was amazed the shippers could get in the ball park at all, when they were estimating crate sizes.
But, then I started to really think about it:
These guys are shipping hundreds of crates during the year, containing much the same thing.
Typical plains game mounts don't change. Shoulder, back skins, rugs, etc.
The forms are all the same dimensions, they all weigh basically the same,
The crate building material is the same.

I hope more hunters begin asking for tighter quotes in the future and look at the "whole package."

Bob, communication has been good with all the people/companies I have dealt with. It is some of the details in that communication that have caused issues.
If I did not change my shipment contents, I would be (and was) perturbed by the $500 increase you describe.

Hunter's are so happy (euphoric) just to get their trophies, no one is demanding tight quotes and this is some of the issue. Many hunters focus on the trophy fee's and day rates on the front end, but few bother to do the work at the other end.
How would you feel if the Outfitter upped your Trophy Fees or Day Rates by 20 to 25% the day you got on the plane?!

At first, I was amazed the shippers could get in the ball park at all, when they were estimating crate sizes.
But, then I started to really think about it:
These guys are shipping hundreds of crates during the year, containing much the same thing.
Typical plains game mounts don't change. Shoulder, back skins, rugs, etc.
The forms are all the same dimensions, they all weigh basically the same,
The crate building material is the same.

I hope more hunters begin asking for tighter quotes in the future and look at the "whole package."

I can't put all the blaim on them it was part my fault as well, when I gave the list of trophies to my Taxidermist his Estimate was based on standard size shoulder mounts I ended up shipping back 9 trophies 2 of which I changed to floor pedestal mounts my Kudu & Gemsbok this ment a larger crate with a gain of 200 lbs in wieght but it was worth the cost to me of $2.50 a pound to have them done that way, I could have saved $95 by having them shipped by sea and several more weeks not worth the savings to me. Sorry for not adding in all of the details. Bob

I can't put all the blaim on them it was part my fault as well, when I gave the list of trophies to my Taxidermist his Estimate was based on standard size shoulder mounts I ended up shipping back 9 trophies 2 of which I changed to floor pedestal mounts my Kudu & Gemsbok this ment a larger crate with a gain of 200 lbs in wieght but it was worth the cost to me of $2.50 a pound to have them done that way, I could have saved $95 by having them shipped by sea and several more weeks not worth the savings to me. Sorry for not adding in all of the details. Bob

I agree Bob, they can only work with what they are provided. You changed your shipment a lot and I would accept that increase without much question. It is at least understandable. That one is on you and your trigger finger. :)
I, on the other hand, did not change mine and got numbers all over the board when I started asking questions of various companies. Just want hunters to have a heads up.

Just want hunters to have a heads up.

Brickburn I know a lot of hunters will Appreciate it. I for one had no idea of all this on my first trip over to South Africa had I known I would have did a lot more checking around I got lucky and got a good Taxidermist that used a good Freight company and because of that I will be using them again this year.

I guess I was on the lucky side. My first estimate before safari cargo got the trophies was $1999.00 air and $1400 for ocean. After they got them and got a final quote it was $1650 for air and $1400 ocean. Now I just need the permits, Still!!!

Now I just need the permits, Still!!!

Depending on your Taxidermist putting in for the permits on the East Cape I found it to be an average of 4 months to get the permits back from the South African Veterinarian for their signiture of approval. Some may be faster.

Depending on your Taxidermist putting in for the permits on the East Cape I found it to be an average of 4 months to get the permits back from the South African Veterinarian for their signiture of approval. Some may be faster.

Shipper got the permits after they expired. Took about 4 weeks. Problem was they only gave one permit for our impalas. We needed two. So now we wait. Shipper said by the end of this week.(I hope)

Apparently the Kudu finally quit wrestling with home sickness and decided to allow himself to be loaded on the plane.

Not scheduled to arrive for 5 days, which puts its arrival on the weekend ensuring that the government inspection office is closed, necessitating a two day wait before they can schedule inspection on a week day.

Another week or so.

APPARENT PROOF THAT THE CRATE WAS LOADED ON A JET.

watermark.php

Last edited by a moderator:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kathi6164

Latest profile posts

85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.