Taxidermist Eastern Cape Port Elizabeth Johannesburg

Discussion in 'Taxidermy' started by gutterdoc, Jan 20, 2014.

1. Bobpuckett

Bobpuckett GOLD SUPPORTER AH Legend

My Photos:
    Member of:
    NAHC Life Member, NRA Life Member,SCI, Buckmasters
    Hunted:
    USA(from Coast to Coast and Alaska), Germany, South Africa, Canada
    Here is just a couple of my favorites from Umilindi. And 12 more coming in the next 2 months. all of my Africa mounts have been done by Umilindi.

Attached Files:

2. Diamondhitch

Diamondhitch AH Legend

My Photos:
    Member of:
    SCI
    Hunted:
    Canada (AB, SK, NWT, BC) USA (NM, TX) South Africa (Limpopo, KZN, Free State, Eastern Cape, Northen Cape), Kyrgyzstan
    Remember too that Taxidermy is more than looks, it is about durability/longevity. Proper preservation techniques cannot be seen but are the single most important factor in longevity. Many taxidermists will say their mounts are tanned but may not be, others will claim that tanning is not required, others will tan but not neutralize their hides properly. The "evidence" of claims that they have mounts on their walls that they have had on their wall in Africa for 10yrs, 20yrs etc may be less convincing if the mount is kept in a humid environment. The constant up and down of humidity will cause much faster breakdown of a hide that is not properly preserved by either allowing bugs and micro-organisms to slowly eat the hid or simply by activating the acid in a hide and slowly dissolving the roots of the hair.

Buyer beware, Quality tanning costs $$$ so if someone is cheaper than other known quality work I would be suspicious of just where the "savings" comes from.

3. sincitynut

sincitynut AH Member

My Photos:
    Member of:
    NRA, Buckmasters, North American Hunting Club, American Legion
    Hunted:
    Eastern Cape RSA
    I would NEVER use Wild Africa Taxidermy again, Their work is below average and I was truly disappointed with my trophies. It looks as if a 6 year old did the stitching on my shoulder mount Springbok, pictures to be posted tomorrow

4. RickP

RickP AH Veteran

My Photos:
    Hunted:
    USA, Free State of South Africa, East Cape of South Africa
    I would *not* use Splitting Images taxidermy. Our PH had his lodge filled this their stuff and it just didn't look right. Tufts of hair in the wrong spots, eyes didn't seems right, etc. Since we had our own taxidermist here in the States, we did decide to let Splitting Images handle our dip and pack. What a disaster! We have tons of hair slippage from poor handling of the hides. My poor reedbuck is half-naked on his face. If I'd have known it would be this bad, I wouldn't have had it mounted but just saved off the horns for another hide later. VERY disappointed!

5. Bobpuckett

Bobpuckett GOLD SUPPORTER AH Legend

My Photos:
    Member of:
    NAHC Life Member, NRA Life Member,SCI, Buckmasters
    Hunted:
    USA(from Coast to Coast and Alaska), Germany, South Africa, Canada
    I've never use splitting image taxidermey but have heard some good things about them, it may have been the way your capes were handled at your outfitters. But I did check them out and the cost of taxidermy work is almost double of the the taxidermist that I have used. To give you an idea a full body mount by my taxidermist for a Baboon $750.00 Splitting Image $1550.00 go figure.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2014
  6. BRICKBURN

BRICKBURN SUPER MODERATOR CONTRIBUTOR GOLD BENEFACTOR AH Ambassador

My Photos:
    Member of:
    KZN Hunters Assoc
    Hunted:
    Namibia, South Africa, Botswana, Canada, USA, Mexico
    Finished trophies are only as good as each part in a long chain.
    Starts with you...

7. HuntingGold

HuntingGold AH Veteran

My Photos:
    Member of:
    Mule Deer Foundation
    Hunted:
    South Africa, United States (Oregon, Washington, Idaho, and Wyoming)
    I found Wild Africa Taxidermy to be production work at best. I got what I paid for.
    It doesn't hold a candle to the taxidermy you can get here in the states.

8. Hogpatrol

Hogpatrol BRONZE SUPPORTER AH Senior Member

My Photos:
    Member of:
    SCI, NRA Life Member, SCCFSA, Atglen SC
    Hunted:
    U.S., Panama, South Africa
    Taxidermy is one thing, SHIPPING is another where you can get "hosed". Make sure you are using one that is competent and knows the ins and outs of shipping to your country. I'm dealing with one now that doesn't and it hasn't been fun.

9. ArmyGrunt

ArmyGrunt AH Veteran

Hunted:
    USA
    Anyone want to share their preferred shipper? Do I HAVE to use the same shipper the chosen taxidermist uses?

10. Hogpatrol

Hogpatrol BRONZE SUPPORTER AH Senior Member

My Photos:
    Member of:
    SCI, NRA Life Member, SCCFSA, Atglen SC
    Hunted:
    U.S., Panama, South Africa
    Get personal references of your African shipper lest you repeat my recent experience. My trophies left Johannesburg on July 1. They MAY be in Philly tomorrow, July 15. Between poor communication by the Jburg shipper to the importer (me) and a few incompetent air carrier employees, it's been a frustrating two week PITA. From speaking with other hunters, this is not unusual when importing from South Africa to the United States.

11. RickP

RickP AH Veteran

My Photos:
    Hunted:
    USA, Free State of South Africa, East Cape of South Africa
    It could well be that the PH mishandled the hides, but he has some pretty big dollar guys hunt with him so I can't believe they'd be too impressed if their stuff got screwed up but then maybe they get special treatment. Our local taxidermist figured it was along the dip and pack process that things went pear-shaped and he's experienced enough that I trust his judgement. The first trip we used dipandpack.com and everything showed up in great shape and we'll pay extra to get them to do it on our next hunt.