Taking Suppressors to South Africa

redassnavajo

AH veteran
Reaction score
Hunting reports
Africa
OK just returned Friday from South Africa customs clearance in Atlanta had no trouble whatsoever other than agent had no Idea what it was, just have a copy of tax stamp and good to go.

@redassnavajo can you elaborate some more on this? Did you declare it on your 4577? Did you store it in your rifle case? Consider it a rifle component rather than an independent item?

I own a suppressor for my 7mm Rem Mag that I will be hunting with this summer. I would love to bring it along, but my suppressor dealer recommended strongly against taking it out of the country as import of foreign suppressors is illegal....

Are you saying there's hope?

Yes I had mine listed on my 4457 also asked Customs agent when getting 4457 filled out as long as you have a copy of tax stamp that matches serial number on suppressor it is ok. I had no problems. Going South Africa no problems there as they are legal to own and use.

My only caution: make sure they are legal in any transit country.
Choose your route thoughtfully.

This is definitely intriguing. I'd love to bring my suppressor along. I am traveling direct from US to RSA. I'm planning on getting my 4457 completed next week. I will check with my CPB people and report back here!

Anyone else have experience with taking a suppressor out of and then back into the US?

I mentioned this in my hunt report, but as @redassnavajo stated, all I needed was my 4457 to bring my suppressor along to South Africa. I packed it in my rifle case and asked CBP about it while getting my 4457 stamped. They said it would not be an issue and were correct.

Coming back into the US via Atlanta, the CBP agents didn't even mention the suppressor.

It was very nice getting to bring it along. Highly recommended!

I was hoping to take mine on my next safari. Apparently illegal in Zambia....... Bruce

Wow glad to know it can be done. ATF told me I had to have a letter from the State Dept in order to leave the country with a suppressor. I wonder if there are any Class III dealers on here who know the law on this issue?
Regards
Philip

What @redassnavajo said. I put copies of my tax stamp and trust paperwork into my gun case. I hand carried more copies in my carry-on. Same with my 4457- copies in gun case, ammo case, suitcase, carry on, everywhere!

Wow glad to know it can be done. ATF told me I had to have a letter from the State Dept in order to leave the country with a suppressor. I wonder if there are any Class III dealers on here who know the law on this issue?
Regards
Philip

Also, getting it out of the country is no issue. They never check or ask about it. In South Africa, no one cared either.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Silke2404

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.