taking care of trophys after hunt

Discussion in 'Hunting Africa' started by billc, Feb 20, 2011.

1. billc

billc SILVER SUPPORTER AH Fanatic

My Photos:
    Hunted:
    united states canada mexico south africa
    I am not sure about how this dip and pack works.I am going to have animals taken shipped back to the states to have the work done here.Since it will be my sons and mine will not be able to have all them mount at once.What would need to be done to hides after the dip to save them for mounting.May take another year before I have them started.I have heard talk of them being tanned in africa also and wondering if that is the way to go.Sorry for all this question but alot of people know what there talking about on this site so I fgure why not ask.Thanks Billc
  2. hunting

hunting AH Enthusiast

My Photos:
    Member of:
    PHASA
    Hunted:
    Sweden, USA, Brazil, Mexico.,
    Hi Bill
    I can remember on of my clients waited more than a year before he started mounting his trophies in the US also dip and pack, when they leave SA as dip and pack they will be completely dry and good to keep as long as you keep them in a safe , dry place out of the sun. You can always ask your taxidermist for the insecticide spray or powder you can put on the trophies regular. This way you can store them as long as you like. Or you can ask your taxidermist to store them.
    Johan
  3. KMG Hunting Safaris

KMG Hunting Safaris SPONSOR AH Elite

My Photos:
    Member of:
    PHASA ; SCI ; DSC ; Eastern Cape Game Management Association ; PE Pistol and Rifle Club
    Hunted:
    South Africa, Namibia, New Zealand
    Hi Bill,
    Johan is correct. Once the taxidermy has treated your trophies and they arrive back home, you will be able to store them safely for a very long time. In your case , until you are ready to have them mounted.

Best Regards
    Marius Goosen
    KMG Hunting Safaris
  4. enysse

enysse AH Ambassador

My Photos:
    Member of:
    Northeast Wisconsin SCI chapter, Lifetime member of NRA,RMEF
    Hunted:
    Namibia, South Africa (East Cape, Guateng and Limpopo)
    I would consult your taxidermist, to see if you should have them tanned....most are going to say "no". Just dip and pack. Marius and Johan, gave you good advice!