Taking a Rifle to South Africa that is not Yours?

billc

AH legend
Reaction score
Deals & offers
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Hunted
united state- Co Nm Mt Wy Pa , canada ,mexico ,south africa- Northwest, Limpopo, freestste.Northern cape,East cape, namibia
I was wondering how it works to take a rifle there that is not yours.My sons rifle is registered in his grandmothers name as she got it for him for xmas.thanks Billc

Rifles to RSA

Bill

The first thing to do is go to your nearest US Customs Office with your son and the rifle and get a 4457 Form in your son's name for the rifle. It doesn't matter who bought it. You'll need this in order to get your RSA gun permit.

You'll also need the 4457 to get your rifle back into the USA. I'm in Wy. There is only one customs agent in the whole state. He allows us to E-mail or fax the info to him for the 4457. He then fills out the 4457 and sends it back to me. Nice not having to run him down. Bruce

gillettehunter,

That guy is a peach. It's so nice to talk to a government employee that comes from common sense.

Thanks for the info

Bill, A person must be 21 years of age to import firearm(s) and ammunition into South Africa. It is possible for someone under the age of 21 to do a hunting safari in South Africa, however another hunter over the age limit must import a firearm for their use.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bkNen

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross