Suggestions for how to hang Zebra rug on the wall?

AZDAVE

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Hunted
South Africa,Namibia, Alaska,lower 48
We received our trophy's from last years safari, and Karoo Taxidermany did and excellent job. We put everything up but our last item is a Zebra rug. Our two dogs like to nest in throw rugs and not sure what they would do with the zebra rug.
Looking for suggestions on the best way to hang the rug on a wall? at some point we will put it down a rug but not now.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am in the midst of the process of determining how to hang my Giraffe rug on the wall. I think it is going to involve a lot of nails in a lot of places just to hold the weight.

I saw these "rug" hangers or clips.

http://www.jhbest.com/best/images/Best Accessories.pdf

Attachments

• Best Accessories.pdf
    291.2 KB · Views: 689
Ok Brickburn, I'll bite... Just how big a wall do have anyway? I want pictures before and after you hang this giraffe rug!

I was told that our Zebra rug can be fitted with D rings to hang it... So I requested that... Won't see it for several months yet so hope it works. It is my wife's zebra and she is talking about mounting on her office wall...... Of course now she needs a new office with a wall that has a large enough space without windows and doors.

I wish I had a wall big enough to just lay it out flat on one surface.
However, that is not the case.
It is likely going to be a room wrap. Floor, wall and ceiling.
When I get it done and figured out I'll post pictures.

The only way I can think to do it..........

martillo.jpg

Safety and old way......!!!!!!

Good luck......!!!!!

Velcro tape my friend should do the trick. You can get it in hobby stores and fabric stores.

Go to the local hardware store and get some D rings or Key rings either will work, a big sewing needle, and some Fire Line 20lb fishing line.
Sew a loop stitch thru ONLY the backing material, If it's cheaply done it's probably hot glued on felt. that sucks.... but make sure the hot glue aint going to let go under the weight of hanging it , if it does your going to have to sew thru a dark stripe on the leg and everywhere else I state. 6 or 7 times with the ring in place where you want it about 3-4 inches from the end of the leg skin. and one on the face side that will be up when hanging horizontally and one mid way in the body 2-3 inches from the edge. again do it on the side that will be the top when hung or do both sides of the face and mid body and you can flip it and hang in any position. We Sew finished leather on the backs of ours and it's easy to sew to real leather. I hope you have this one yours, going to make this project real easy. I probably made no sense here but it's quite easy.

Been wondering how we are going to my brides zebra skin ,all this last week
Got the idea of hanging it off her giraffes shin bones , not sure how we are going make that happen just yet ,but got a feww months to work some thing out

I have a zebra skin with a black felt backing. The felt makes a two inch border around the skin. We have put the long black headed thumb tacks through the felt. The thumb tacks are hardly noticeable. It has hung for 15 years in my office this way and for 30 years in my parents house the same way without any problems. More tacks are needed on the high side than the low side.

Also have a leopard skin (skull in) done the same way. It takes an extra half dozen thumb tacks in the spots just above the neck/head to keep the head from pulling away from the wall.

I doubt this would work on the giraffe wrap.

There may be better ways, but this has worked for me.

All the best.

My zebra has the nice leather like "The Artistry of Wildlife" mentioned. I didn't think to have Karoo put leather loops so I could hang it. So while sitting and considering my options, took a walk into my better half's craft room and what do I see but a VERY Large and heavy comforter hanging on the wall in a quilt holder. I take a quick look at how it is made and did a little research and having a hobbies of wood and metal working. (Stocks knives and furniture) I looked in my shop and have all the stuff to make a 6-8 of these little guys and will hang it with them and let you all know how it goes.
quiltholder.jpg

Cool! Looking forward to some pics.

they look pretty spiffy ,dave.
l rekon they will work a treat,mate

I have a zebra skin with a black felt backing. The felt makes a two inch border around the skin. We have put the long black headed thumb tacks through the felt. The thumb tacks are hardly noticeable.

+1

jeez wayne how big is the wall????o_O just seen your answer, shame you dont live in an igloo full around wrap then :D

It might be easier if I were in an Igloo. No corners.

Sorry guys, that a turn away a little bit from the subject, but I prefer the Zebra on the floor and not on the wall. I received yesterday a handmade "Bushcraft" knife from a Swedish custom knife maker that I under here send a photo of, the handle is Mammoth tusk, and the blade is 130 mm damscus steel - rely razor sharp - !
vo-bushcraftkniv.jpg

Photo of ZEBRA - RIFLE - KNIFE -

Cheers, G

That is a nice knife, Rifle and Zebra. I agree that it would look best on the floor but my dogs would nest in it everyday so that isn't currently an option. Please pass a compliment to the knife maker on a job well done.

Thank''s I will do that AZDAVE, and good luck with the Zebra skin !

I sewed rings on the back of the hide in strategic places and used heavy duty picture hooks on the wall. Then I tacked the edges of the black felt with black upholstery tacks.

Attachments

• TrophyRoom1.jpg
    TrophyRoom1.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 3,325
Last edited by a moderator:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LeilaLemie

Latest profile posts

thriller wrote on Bronkatowski1's profile.
Until this guy posts something on pay it forward free I would avoid him at all costs.
sgtsabai wrote on Buck51's profile.
If it hasn't sold by next week I might be interested. Stock would have to be changed along with some other items. I'm already having a 416 Rigby built so money is a tad bit tight.
The35Whelen wrote on MedRiver's profile.
Hey pal! I'll take all the .375 bullets if they're available.
Thanks!

Cody R. Sieber
@DERIAN KOEKEMOER SAFARIS is proud to say that we are members of PHASA.
WhatsApp Image 2024-03-09 at 08.11.01_9d17b32f.jpg