Subject "Stopping rifle"..

Bit confused here. Ponder asked "what would be your choice" for elephant. Nothing said about a stopping rifle. Said .404 Jeffery. But it's not a charge stopper, so if that were the question (which, I point out, Red Leg, I don't think it was!), then you have to go bigger. I still stick to the tried and true, and play to the romantic in me. I'd say .450 Rigby (I know it's fairly recent, but it's still a Rigby!), .500 Jeffery or .505 Gibbs, in that order.

I am sure that there are some out there, devoid of any sense of history, who would vote for the .458 Lott, but then that's likely because they haven't tried the .450 (which is actually also a .458) Rigby yet.

Easy for me to say. I'm not a PH, so won't have to carry or shoot a charge stopper.

My choice was an 11 pound .500 NE because I feel that at my age (I'm a prune faced old man now) carrying a .577 all day long would take most of the fun away.
If I were still young, the .577 is one I would definitely want to hunt (even hippo and buffalo) elephant with.
Unfortunately, I've never shot a .577 NE (yet!) but, I have fired an 11 pound .500 NE with standard loads of 570 grain bullets and it was stout recoil but not out of my tolerance level.

Velo, to be honest I have not shot the .577. But I shot a .600 double that weighed in at 13,2 lbs.

That is considered light for a .600, but the recoil was more like a loong heavy push, shooting the full .900 - 1950 fps load....amazingly controllable really..

So a .577 at 12 lbs for instance should be shootable. The only downside I see (to both calibres..) is the weight as mentioned by you and that recovery time is a bit slower due to muzzle climb.

Otherwise they should be pure life insurance.

Velo, to be honest I have not shot the .577. But I shot a .600 double that weighed in at 13,2 lbs.

That is considered light for a .600, but the recoil was more like a loong heavy push, shooting the full .900 - 1950 fps load....amazingly controllable really..

So a .577 at 12 lbs for instance should be shootable. The only downside I see (to both calibres..) is the weight as mentioned by you and that recovery time is a bit slower due to muzzle climb.

Otherwise they should be pure life insurance.

Hi Pondoro,

13.2 pounds does sound mighty light for a .600 and 12 seems light for a .577 NE for that matter.
But having not fired a .577 yet, I really do not know.
I have fired a .600 but it seems like the owner said it weighed quite a bit more than 13.2 (16 perhaps ?).

Whatever it weighed, I'm with you on the felt recoil not being especially fast.
I admit that I would never fire a .600 from the bench but, from standing, it was not as bad as I had feared.
On the web site: www.calpappas.com there are photos of this rifle, including one of me firing it in Cal's "front yard" (he lives the life most of us only dream of).
Even with all that being said, the .600 is too much for me to really enjoy carrying over hill and dale in the African heat.

Of the large bore smokeless calibers I have fired, the .500 NE at 11 lb seems to be my limit of what I can shoot repeatedly and yet carry all day.
12 lb would be about the most I'd want a hunting rifle to weigh.
My .500 Jeffery bolt action weighs 11lb empty plus, it has a mercury tube in the stock, and loaded down to "only" .500 NE ballistics, it still has plenty of recoil, according to my wimpy shoulder.
Also, I agree with you that speed of accurate delivery is very important in hunting DG.

And some of these big cannons can have so much recoil as to make that 2nd accurate shot very questionable.
Again, of the big doubles I have fired, the .500 seems to be my best compromise of tolerable recoil, therefore delivery of that quick but accurate 2nd shot, as well not too awful heavy of a rifle to carry all day long.

Incidentally, old Cal Pappas appears to still be able to carry his .600 all day long, despite the fact that he is almost as old as I am.
He has stayed with the weight lifting all these years and I had gotten lazy long ago.

Cheers,
Velo Dog.

Cal is indeed lucky, he has Bill Pridhams .600 Wilkes....but he admits its feeling more heavy each time he reaches the African shoreline..

According to Cal my .475 must be made by John Wilkes "to the trade" (Midland Gun Co.) as it is very like his .600, sideclips, etc.

A pic of mine:
IMG_7888.JPG

hey boys and girls who cares if its about the best stopping rifle or the best ele rifle :) this is a fantasy question as to what would you have/use etc if money was no object. so get a grip and stop being so anal and actually relax and tell everone what cal and type of rifle you would love to have money no object!!!!!:rolleyes:

hey boys and girls who cares if its about the best stopping rifle or the best ele rifle :) this is a fantasy question as to what would you have/use etc if money was no object. so get a grip and stop being so anal and actually relax and tell everone what cal and type of rifle you would love to have money no object!!!!!:rolleyes:

I still stick to my first post .416 rigby
Double bolt with big 5 engraved on it

I would say any rifle able to shoot 500gr over 2150 ftps that you shoot well every time .460 wby is a hell of a good stopper in my books
.460 wthby is too fast at factory loading. Too much recoil to control for a second shot. Download mine to 2250 fps and it's a Duzzy!

465H&H as part of a Holland & Holland battery made by H&H for a one month trip to SA, Mozambique and Benin. (y). How's that for fantasy?

Reactions: Ado
465H&H as part of a Holland & Holland battery made by H&H for a one month trip to SA, Mozambique and Benin. (y). How's that for fantasy?
+1 to that...

Ado

Bit confused here. Ponder asked "what would be your choice" for elephant. Nothing said about a stopping rifle. Said .404 Jeffery. But it's not a charge stopper, so if that were the question (which, I point out, Red Leg, I don't think it was!), then you have to go bigger. I still stick to the tried and true, and play to the romantic in me. I'd say .450 Rigby (I know it's fairly recent, but it's still a Rigby!), .500 Jeffery or .505 Gibbs, in that order.

I am sure that there are some out there, devoid of any sense of history, who would vote for the .458 Lott, but then that's likely because they haven't tried the .450 (which is actually also a .458) Rigby yet.

Easy for me to say. I'm not a PH, so won't have to carry or shoot a charge stopper.

Well gosh Hank. Excuse me. The man wanted to go wack an elephant with a big double. I admit - I guess I sort of reached in supposing that he had something big and relatively short ranged in mind - well, you know - like a "stopping rifle". But you are correct. One of Selous's 6.5x54's would fit the letter of the question.

Currently 470NE but 577NE on order.....

Shot Shot

I tend to agree with you Ryno
It is the performance that makes the 460 weatherby such a great caliber.
Quote magnum magazine ages back "460 weatherby is one of the greatest stopping rifles ever made If you can handle the recoil" i am sure it is the ballistics that the based their statement on but it is a great caliber.

Has any one a 460 weatherby double rifle?

Shot Shot

Well gosh Hank. Excuse me. The man wanted to go wack an elephant with a big double. I admit - I guess I sort of reached in supposing that he had something big and relatively short ranged in mind - well, you know - like a "stopping rifle". But you are correct. One of Selous's 6.5x54's would fit the letter of the question.
Consider yourself excused!

Cal is indeed lucky, he has Bill Pridhams .600 Wilkes....but he admits its feeling more heavy each time he reaches the African shoreline..

According to Cal my .475 must be made by John Wilkes "to the trade" (Midland Gun Co.) as it is very like his .600, sideclips, etc.

A pic of mine:View attachment 44560

Beauty !

Wow those are real bruts ..... Your correct must put the shoulder under pressure?
I must admit i would take the 577 over the 460.

Shot Shot

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
markekcertifications

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you