Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
SCI
Hunted
USA, S. Africa
Per the manual I downloaded from CZ's website, you can load a round directly into the chamber and close the bolt. But I sometimes read that doing this on some CRF rifles can break the extractor. So for those with more CZ experience than me, is this truly okay?

Not a stupid question at all. It can be done, Phil, if you really must, but it is not a good thing to do. All my rifles are CZ's and I've seen a broken ejector myself. Avoid doing it if you can.

Phil, i owned a 550 in 458 Lott for 4 years as my primary back-up gun and loaded one up the spout every day of the week for months on end over this entire period.

My particular 550 had the leading edge of the extractor bevelled (from the factory) so as to allow this to be done. I understand that not ALL 550's in every caliber are fashioned in this manner.Simply have a look at the front edge of your extractor, it is visible and easy to see if it has been bevelled.

Cheers,

Paul.

I think that all modern CRF guns have the extractor beveled to allow single loading. The older Mauser's, particularly the military rifles would not allow single loading.
You will feel a little bit of resistance as the extractor slips over the rim when you close the bolt, but It should not be substantial.

When I would sight-in or have a few practice rounds with the 550 before a hunt I would shoot one round at a time ie load one at a time: shoot one and if needed load another one by hand... My father always made a point of telling me not to put one directly in the spout and close the bolt...I never knew why. He had that 550 for years before I started using it, it was a lux or fancy-grade model. Suppose that it had something to do with what you are saying here. Today I don't do it on any rifle just as principal. I think my father learned so from using older rifles when he was younger. But when I did load it so I never felt any real resistance etc with the more modern 550.

Not a stupid question at all. It can be done, Phil, if you really must, but it is not a good thing to do. All my rifles are CZ's and I've seen a broken ejector myself. Avoid doing it if you can.

Docman, Think you meant extractor here.

Phil, Try it. If it goes pretty easy, cool. If it shows much resistance, stop. Worst thing that can happen is ordering a new extractor.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jhonmark007

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg