Study highlights benefits of bushmeat in local nutrition

mbhoward

Silver supporter
Reaction score
Member of
NRA (Life); SCI
Hunted
USA
A recent study published in the journal 'Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences' (PNAS) has quantified how important it is in children to eat bushmeat. I've read about how the meat from hunting doesn't go to waste but is instead eaten by locals. I've also seen this fact used as an argument to support hunting. However, I've never seen an actual study that demonstrates how important it really is to a child's development. The study was conducted in Madagascar but the conclusions can be read Africa-wide.

The first two links are to reviews of the study and the third link is to an abstract of the study itself. (I would link the entire study but it is available only to PNAS subscribers and I'm not one.)

Bushmeat from Endangered Animals Feeds Hungry: Study – News Watch

Taking bushmeat off the menu could increase child anemia

Benefits of wildlife consumption to child nutrition in a biodiversity hotspot

The reviews are pretty straightforward and even handed. Bushmeat isn't some sort of luxury for elites but is essential to a child's development. The authors stop short of advocating hunting, but point out even if domesticated animals are introduced, local tastes will often prefer bushmeat. The anti-hunting crowd is already complaining about the study.

Those developing kids need lots of protein! I was bummed when I learned that most of the meat from my Namibian plaisgame hunt got sold to butchershops/restaurants (I was hoping the local tribes got it) But I realize the game rancher is in business to maximize his profit margin...I really enjoy reading about hunts where local villagers come to the kill site to collect the meat...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pace88win__

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you