Stopover in Amsterdam- Help Please!

keb024

Reaction score
Hello All,

My father and I will be hunting in South Africa for the frist time in September of this year. We have a direct flight from Atlanta to Johannesburg on the way there, but on the way back we wanted to stop over in Amsterdam. The most feasible flight has us arriving in Amsterdam from Johannesburg at 10AM Sunday morning, and departing Amsterdam Monday morning at 11:05AM returning us to Atlanta. This gives us a 25 hour layover.

The flight schedule works out great, the baggage is where my question lies. I will be taking my rifle with me (at least I WAS planning on it). The flight there is no problem, I am familiar with TSA and Delta standards for checking my gun through. The flight back through Amsterdam, however, has me completely confused.

Delta has told me several different things every time I call. One representative told me I could in no way check my bags all the way through to Atlanta since my layover is actually a "stop over". Another representative told me that this was at the discretion of the attendent who checks me in when leaving Johannesburg. Yet another representative told me I would ahve to pick up my checked luggage in Amsterdam, but there were storage lockers/secured storage facilities available to hold the rifle in so I would be able to leave it in the airport. In all cases I was told to call Dutch customs, which I did. Dutch customs was unable to answer my question, as was the Netherlands desk in Washington DC. Has anyone else had this problem? Does anyone have any suggestions on what to do?

Not trying to be smart, but that's why I use a travel agent. Lori with Travel Express can take a lot of the pain away. Her advertisement is over to the right of the screen. 800 808-4868

Tom has this one all covered.

YOUR travel agent should help you with this step in your safari...Call them and see what they have to say. The question you have asked should have been asked to your travel agent before booking your airline flights.

keb024, I think that Tom's advice is right on target.

I am aware of the procedure for passengers transiting through the Netherlands with firearms, not leaving the airport with their firearm(s) and ammunition, however not with a layover of that time frame with a stop over...

I would recommend you to check out the Netherlands Embassy's website in Washington DC by clicking here and contact the Customs Office in Groningen in the Netherlands at +31 (88) 151.2122, this is in my opinion the safest bet as I would not rely on what the people from Delta would be telling me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chandaokelle05

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg