Standard cartridges really are important

Bert the Turtle

Lifetime bronze benefactor
AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Articles
I've heard various arguments for and against what to chamber an African rifle in. US Air, by losing my luggage, has answered that question for me: something common.

After charging me $150 extra due to the bag with my ammo in it being 57 pounds, they managed to not load it on the plane. They said they would put it on the next plane. 2 days since leaving, I still do not have it. They don't answer their phone at the baggage finding office.

At least the person at the check-in counter was rude to me. Last week they cancelled my wife's flight, sent her to a hotel that didn't have any rooms, then lost her luggage. The US Air people were a little more helpful to her: they sent her to the Lufthansa counter (for who knows what reason, since she wasn't on Lufthansa). The Lufthansa guy could not understand why they sent her to him and then managed to find her bags!!!

Fortunately, I am staying in Germany for a week before going to Namibia, so they still have 5 days to rectify this before I head to Africa. I can replace everything in the bag with the possible exception of my boots: I can get new boots, but I can't break them in before I get there.

The only thing I can do at this point is to continue to enjoy myself in Germany and hope that my posting costs US Air some business.

Just so people know what kind of service to expect if they fly US Air, here is the email they sent me:

This will acknowledge receipt of your correspondence to the Central Baggage Resolution Office. Please be assured your comments and concerns are very important to us, and we are working diligently to provide a personal and professional response to every email we receive. Due to high volumes, our current response time is 14-21 business days. A member of our Central Baggage Resolution team will respond to your feedback as quickly as possible.

If you are inquiring about a personal item that you left on one of our aircraft or at the airport, in the event that your item is located, we will respond back to you to make arrangements for its return. We regret that we will be unable to provide status updates on such items.

If your question or comment is about an upcoming trip, an unused ticket or your Dividend Miles account, please call our Reservations Department at 1-800-428-4322.

Thank you for your patience. We appreciate your business.

US Airways Central Baggage Resolution Team

***This is an automated message. Replies to this message are not viewed or monitored.***

14-21 days! I have never flown with them, and now I never will. Hopefully your time in Deutschland will allow them to get everything squared away.

Your response means the world to me. I will raise a glass tonight to the first of what I hope is many people who will not be spending money with US Air.

Just so people know what kind of service to expect if they fly US Air, here is the email they sent me:

This will acknowledge receipt of your correspondence to the Central Baggage Resolution Office. Please be assured your comments and concerns are very important to us, and we are working diligently to provide a personal and professional response to every email we receive. Due to high volumes, our current response time is 14-21 business days. A member of our Central Baggage Resolution team will respond to your feedback as quickly as possible.

If you are inquiring about a personal item that you left on one of our aircraft or at the airport, in the event that your item is located, we will respond back to you to make arrangements for its return. We regret that we will be unable to provide status updates on such items.

If your question or comment is about an upcoming trip, an unused ticket or your Dividend Miles account, please call our Reservations Department at 1-800-428-4322.

Thank you for your patience. We appreciate your business.

US Airways Central Baggage Resolution Team

***This is an automated message. Replies to this message are not viewed or monitored.***

Wow.... did they at least put some KY on that email before "delivering" it? Sorry to hear of your issues Bert. If it were me I would have the luxury of going to their corporate offices here in the Phoenix area and making myself a royal PITA.

I'm sorry for the grief you've had but I am happy that I've never been treatyed this way with other carriers. I also will avoid US Air now. Thanks for the heads up.

"US Scare" I truly hate them - right up there with Delta. I travel a lot and the only two baggage outfits that have ever been truly helpful were United and Lufthansa.

Ouch! What a nightmare. Note to self: I will either wear my primary pair of boots on the flight, or pack them in my carry-on! Can borrow or rent a rifle and buy some ammo for it, but I would hate to walk 10 miles a day in brand new boots! I am more scared of getting blisters than I am of snakes!

Do you have another broken-in pair back home? If so, perhaps you can have someone Fedex them to you in Germany?

Good luck!
Brian

US Air, great customer care...we want to earn your business (lol)...the irony!

I have two pairs of broken in boots. Both in my suitcase. I figured that boots were important enough to bring a spare pair. Live and learn, next time I wear a pair on the plane.

The good news is that the main purpose of the hunt is the let my son do some hunting. He's only 9 and wants to hunt from stands over water holes right now anyway. Over the two weeks we are there, he may gain confidence and want to do some spot and stalk, but it will give me a chance to put a few miles on new boots if it comes to that.

The lost baggage tracking site now lists my case as closed, which may mean they have found my bag. That would be encouraging if I actually had my bag. Perhaps in the morning, I can get through to a person and see what the deal is. If no bag by morning, it will be boot shopping day and I'll start breaking in a new pair. I may still be able to pull it off.

Ouch, unbelievable. The CEO would get a letter when I got back stateside along with commentary on their email to you. I truly hope your luggage shows up in time especially the boots.

What a mess! At least Germany is a good place to shop for quality boots. Try to get Meindl or Dachstein, they are both superb. Good luck!

Meindl makes trekking shoes which are quite soft and should not need any breaking in.

Just in case, I always fly with my hunting shoes on.

Still no bag!!!

Allegedly, it was picked up by the delivery person at 16:00, with no knowledge of what route he is taking nor when he is expected to be here.

Yes, I wear my hunting shoes or boots on the plane...can't trust anyone.

I have my fingers crossed that your luggage meets your hands soon!

Well, we had a great day today. Saw a reconstructed Roman fort, had an excellent dinner with plenty of apple wine and the best apple strudel I've ever had.

Still no bag. I'm still having a great time. So long as I can cost US Air more in lost business than they cost me, I am a happy man.

Still no bag. I'm still having a great time. So long as I can cost US Air more in lost business than they cost me, I am a happy man.

Bert, that's the spirit! I would also send them the bill for a pair of Meindls and any additional costs you incur (rifle hire, ammunition etc). I have had amazing results with sending people who really p...ed me off a hefty bill. Sometimes they are so flabbergasted they just pay! Anyway, enjoy Germany, and have a great safari no matter what.

Great! Did it come before you purchased new boots?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChadwickTo

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross