Sportmen for Trump

robertq

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Member of
Life member of DSC, SCI, NRA, Rocky Mt Elk Foundation, American Hunter, Buck Masters & Ruffed Grouse Society
Hunted
Russia, Argentina, Canada & South Africa
The Trump campaign has pledged to nominate a hunter to lead the Fish and Wildlife Service, aggressively fight lawsuits by anti-hunting groups, make wildlife habitat more productive, and control predators like wolves that prey on game species like elk.

Most notably, Trump in January broke from the GOP establishment by pledging to oppose efforts to transfer federal lands to states, gaining plaudits from sportsmen across the political spectrum who oppose the privatization of federal lands, fearing it would reduce places to hunt and fish.

http://www.eenews.net/stories/1060037104

I'd be more enthusiastic about Donald Trump Jr. For head of usfws than I am for senior for POTUS.

Trump Sr. isn't remotely a sportsman and has said "I don't get it" many times. Nonetheless, Jr. learned from his Czech grandpa (Ivanna's dad) and started hunting at age 8. Eric also.

We have to hope that his kids have some influence over these issues or we'll have a disinterested POTUS.

I think it is becoming clear that Trump will be the R nominee and we better get over it and get behind him as there is really no other alternative. I also think that despite a lot of polls, Trump has at least a 50-50 shot at beating Hideous Hillary. A lot of the Never Trump folks need to get their heads out of certain very dark areas and get on board or we face a continuation of the last 8 years for possibly another 8, as I believe that just like Obama, despite a poor showing his first term, he got re elected and so will Hideous Hillary.

Here's the truth of the matter as evidenced by why Bernie Sanders won't quit to help Hillary and why Paul Ryan won't endorse Trump to help unify:

Hillary is dangerously close to indictment and resigning from the race. She is literally running not just for her presidency but also for her own freedom. Bernie is kept in the race to address that eventual potential scenario. (Trump I am convinced will beat Hillary and would lose to Bernie based on the data at hand)

Trump has said a great many outrageous claims and that is tough for the establishment party to tolerate/believe. (many of us hope some of his claims will become reality) It is possible, but half as likely as Hillary dropping out that Trump could get his A&& in a sling over a significant scandal this cycle that ends his campaign. The Ryans of the world know that Trump may very well implode during the campaign so he's keeping a safe distance in hopes of saving the future of the party if that eventuality happens.

Trump is the first sociopath/psychopath the Republicans have nominated since Teddy Roosevelt. We have no idea what Trump actually believes and what he will actually accomplish. It's a hope and pray sort of election cycle as sportsmen. Lets not forget that GW Bush didn't do much better at appointing conservative sportsman to USFWS and Dept. of Interior than Obama. Many of the problems we face now were part of the Gale Norton era. (Import any polar bears lately?) There is no evidence that a Republican president will make things better for us as sportsman but there is evidence a Democrat president will make things worse.

Disclosure: I will vote for Trump not that it is anyone's business. I'm troubled by him as a human being much more than I'm troubled by any one of his policies.

Agree with that, however I don't think I have ever heard TR referred to in such a way as you did. I understand he was a progressive in some ways, but sociopath? Psychopath? One of the founders of conservation? African hunter and lover of Winchesters? Outdoorsman extraordinaire? Care to enlighten us on that claim?

Agree with that, however I don't think I have ever heard TR referred to in such a way as you did. I understand he was a progressive in some ways, but sociopath? Psychopath? One of the founders of conservation? African hunter and lover of Winchesters? Outdoorsman extraordinaire? Care to enlighten us on that claim?

Roosevelt did not have any attributes of empathy that I could uncover. He used tremendous bravado at all times it benefited him. (ironic with the "speak softly" quote) He murdered a lot of people to his political ends, particularly to create the antagonism that led to the Spanish war when he was undersecretary of the navy. He had no relationship with his daughter and would leave her for years. As a character reference, Frederick Courteney Selous would have nothing to do with him and declined more than a few minute meeting with the man because on topics of Africa Roosevelt was all cattle and no hat. Roosevelt had no empathy for animals and would kill them slowly and ineffectively without care. Roosevelt would not follow up on animals injured with much effort at times. Surprise, a Winchester 1895 in .405W doesn't kill every animal shot poorly instantly. Roosevelt didn't build lasting relationships that we would describe as friendships. Roosevelt changed parties and radically shifted his policies in order to seek election when his previous principles and party would carry him no further. All evidence not of your typical politician's narcissism but rather it points to a much darker diagnosis.

His daughter Alice, vividly described this personality type when she said of her father, “He wants to be the bride at every wedding, the corpse at every funeral, and the baby at every christening.”

Make no mistake about it, he was an effective leader. He was a hero of conservation. One of my children happens to be named after him for his deeds to conservation. Nonetheless, the more I study him as a person the more troubled I am by the evidence of what he was outside of being an advocate for hunters.

Bringing this back to the topic at hand, I do hope that Trump follows through on his promises and is a "functional" president in general and for conservation specifically. However, if he is a sociopath he may utilize tyranny and oppression to carry out his whims. We have an ever increasing power concentration in the POTUS as evidenced by GHWB and BHO fiats. Someone with no moral compass clinically speaking (and not just partisan hyperbole) could really sink us. Hope and pray is all we can do at present.

Last edited:
You should read the book about his Amazon travels. I think you would gain a little different perspective on him. We are entitled to our opinions and I agree with you that his African shoots were shoots and a veritable bloodbath. In fact I was unable to finish African Game Trails due to this. However I don't feel near as strongly about him in the negative way that you do. Sort of reminds of those who feel that Abe Lincoln was the bloodiest tyrant that ever lived. Its nonsense.

The bottom line..... If Trump does not get in say good bye to hunting....we at SSI have been going through hell for the last few years with Fish and Wildlife. Things were never perfect....there is an alarming negative pattern unfolding and it's getting worse. We have a chance to reverse things so let's be open minded...

Last edited by a moderator:
Roosevelt did not have any attributes of empathy that I could uncover. He used tremendous bravado at all times it benefited him. (ironic with the "speak softly" quote) He murdered a lot of people to his political ends, particularly to create the antagonism that led to the Spanish war when he was undersecretary of the navy. He had no relationship with his daughter and would leave her for years. As a character reference, Frederick Courteney Selous would have nothing to do with him and declined more than a few minute meeting with the man because on topics of Africa Roosevelt was all cattle and no hat. Roosevelt had no empathy for animals and would kill them slowly and ineffectively without care. Roosevelt would not follow up on animals injured with much effort at times. Surprise, a Winchester 1895 in .405W doesn't kill every animal shot poorly instantly. Roosevelt didn't build lasting relationships that we would describe as friendships. Roosevelt changed parties and radically shifted his policies in order to seek election when his previous principles and party would carry him no further. All evidence not of your typical politician's narcissism but rather it points to a much darker diagnosis.

His daughter Alice, vividly described this personality type when she said of her father, “He wants to be the bride at every wedding, the corpse at every funeral, and the baby at every christening.”

Make no mistake about it, he was an effective leader. He was a hero of conservation. One of my children happens to be named after him for his deeds to conservation. Nonetheless, the more I study him as a person the more troubled I am by the evidence of what he was outside of being an advocate for hunters.

Bringing this back to the topic at hand, I do hope that Trump follows through on his promises and is a "functional" president in general and for conservation specifically. However, if he is a sociopath he may utilize tyranny and oppression to carry out his whims. We have an ever increasing power concentration in the POTUS as evidenced by GHWB and BHO fiats. Someone with no moral compass clinically speaking (and not just partisan hyperbole) could really sink us. Hope and pray is all we can do at present.
You and I will have to agree to disagree with regard to TR. I have his collected works - all 21 volumes- plus Game Trails and River of Doubt which were published separately. I have read them all, and, I suspect most of the relevant literature written about him. To label him either sociopath or psychopath is patently ridiculous revisionist history of the worst sort. An ambitious politician? Certainly - but a murderer? You have to embrace a pretty narrow slice of historical opinion to run with that.

With regard to Trump, I find him ridiculous. I have always agreed with the notion that a country deserves its government - but I never would have thought our people would have this choice. I have no idea what his policy beliefs are - perhaps he doesn't. And he seems to have a sixth grader's perception of the world economy and foreign policy. Perhaps even worse, he reflects the ugly depths to which our culture is sinking. He is loud, crude, and not particularly truthful. I don't detect a single principle of what I deem important in leadership in his public persona.

And yet with his opponent we have someone who should be under indictment for public corruption (the hell with the security issues). Perfect.

I'll likely vote Trump because of the Court. I just hope I have enough strength in my thumb and index finger to hold my nose tightly enough.

If Trump does not get in say good bye to hunting....

First let me say that out of the two most probable options I will likely vote for Trump, and would never vote for Hillary. I even agree that Trump is likely (likely, not absolutely) to be better for hunters and especially international hunters.

To say that hunting will go away if Trump isn't elected though is absolutely absurd. Do you really honestly believe Hillary will somehow manage to ban hunting here in the States and I guess embargo all countries who allow it internationally to try and force hunting into extinction ?

There isn't much doubt that things have gotten more difficult over the last several years, but if Trump is our only hope as hunters. Wow....

Again, not against Trump (would need to know what he actually stood for before l could make that decision). That being said though I'm not voting for him because I think that "hunting is doomed" if Hillary gets in. I doubt hunting is within her top 100 priorities of what she'd like to take away from us.

Last edited by a moderator:
Royal, the writing is on the wall and we need leadership that will stand up for us
1. Still a ban on the carriage of any trophies by all sea freight lines
2. US ban on elephant import from TZ and Zimbabwe
3. US ban on all lion import
4. No hunting of leopard this year in RSA due to a liberal report substantiated by nothing....160 planned tags, none issued
5. Right this very moment, no trophies are leaving TZ
6. NJ just passed a bill that got vetoed by Christie that makes it illegal to possess any of the dangerous five....yes, even if you harvested any in prior years...this means no imports into NJ or transit of these species through NJ
It's the combined effort of liberal governments that need severe pushback and remember the continued efford with taking our guns away...
We can disagree on the 'Who' should be president but the common need is strong leadership that will stand up to liberals who want to take our rights away including the privilege to hunt.
It's always the USA that other countries look to leadership....and there hasn't been any.

Robert I'm not disagreeing at all that we need strong conservative leadership in general. You and I agree on much more than we don't here, no doubt there. What I'm disagreeing with is that the next President will be either the savior or annihilator of hunting.

There is a big difference between writing on the wall and actions being carried all the way through. Should we be vigilant and keep fighting hard? Absolutely. Are things headed in the wrong direction currently? Yup. Am I selling all of my hunting gear next November if Trump isn't elected because I believe hunting will be banned? Nope.

SSI deals with this crap every day, if they say things are bad, things are bad. Worse than what most of us can imagine.

Here's the truth of the matter as evidenced by why Bernie Sanders won't quit to help Hillary and why Paul Ryan won't endorse Trump to help unify:

Hillary is dangerously close to indictment and resigning from the race. She is literally running not just for her presidency but also for her own freedom. Bernie is kept in the race to address that eventual potential scenario. (Trump I am convinced will beat Hillary and would lose to Bernie based on the data at hand)

Trump has said a great many outrageous claims and that is tough for the establishment party to tolerate/believe. (many of us hope some of his claims will become reality) It is possible, but half as likely as Hillary dropping out that Trump could get his A&& in a sling over a significant scandal this cycle that ends his campaign. The Ryans of the world know that Trump may very well implode during the campaign so he's keeping a safe distance in hopes of saving the future of the party if that eventuality happens.

Trump is the first sociopath/psychopath the Republicans have nominated since Teddy Roosevelt. We have no idea what Trump actually believes and what he will actually accomplish. It's a hope and pray sort of election cycle as sportsmen. Lets not forget that GW Bush didn't do much better at appointing conservative sportsman to USFWS and Dept. of Interior than Obama. Many of the problems we face now were part of the Gale Norton era. (Import any polar bears lately?) There is no evidence that a Republican president will make things better for us as sportsman but there is evidence a Democrat president will make things worse.

Disclosure: I will vote for Trump not that it is anyone's business. I'm troubled by him as a human being much more than I'm troubled by any one of his policies.

to me there is nothing worse than the hag and slick willy.

Will one of these guys run USFW? Probably not, but I would take either of them over Dan Ashe.

Attachments

• trumps-son-tiger-kill.png
    trumps-son-tiger-kill.png
    207.3 KB · Views: 319
  • 2AF7099E00000578-0-image-a-26_1438270033591.jpg
    2AF7099E00000578-0-image-a-26_1438270033591.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 302
Will hunting go away with Hillary, no. Just your semi-auto, pump and lever guns. Just a guess, but Africa for USA folks will be with the PH's guns and your trophy will be photos if even that. The writing is on the wall.

Will hunting go away with Hillary, no. Just your semi-auto, pump and lever guns. Just a guess, but Africa for USA folks will be with the PH's guns and your trophy will be photos if even that. The writing is on the wall.

hope the writings on her tomb stone.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CharlieRiggs

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Coltwoody@me.com
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross