Splitting Image Taxidermy?

Discussion in 'Taxidermy' started by johnnyblues, Jun 20, 2014.

1. johnnyblues

johnnyblues AH Senior Member

My Photos:
    Hunted:
    USA, Canada, New Zealand .
    Hello, does anyone have any experience with Splitting Image Taxidermy? Going to SA next September and would be interested in using them. Any info would be appreciated.

2. enysse

enysse AH Ambassador

My Photos:
    Member of:
    Northeast Wisconsin SCI chapter, Lifetime member of NRA,RMEF
    Hunted:
    Namibia, South Africa (East Cape, Guateng and Limpopo)
    I have used them, they do very good work. I think they need to do a better good crating and protecting trophies on shipment. But as far as work done in RSA, they do a good job!

3. johnnyblues

johnnyblues AH Senior Member

My Photos:
    Hunted:
    USA, Canada, New Zealand .
    Thank you....Maybe they will improve on their crating , that is one aspect I am very concerned about.. Also looking at Hunters and collectors taxidermy..hear anything about them?

4. enysse

enysse AH Ambassador

My Photos:
    Member of:
    Hunted:
    No, I just know Splitting Image Taxidemy.

Sorry about my sentences above...they need to do a better job packing. I sleep very little sometimes. My mind says one thing but my fingers say another.

5. gutterdoc

gutterdoc AH Senior Member

Member of:
    NRA
    Hunted:
    US(AZ, AK, CT, IA, MT, NC, OH, TX, WY)
  6. billc

billc SILVER SUPPORTER AH Fanatic

My Photos:
    Hunted:
    united states canada mexico south africa
    There work looks pretty good and you could always make a comment to make sure they pack it good.I have not used anyone in the cape area for doing mounts yet but have started the search.I had loodt go check out relive taxidermy and will be stopping in to see for myself.All the clients I have talked with were very happy and loodt said his stuff looked great.Just may want to check them out to have some options.Hope you have a great trip in sept.

7. enysse

enysse AH Ambassador

My Photos:
    Member of:
    Hunted:
    The best solution BTW, so vibration in a crate does not cause friction rubs is to cover the trophies in plastic and use that wonderful spray insulation to seal them in place.

8. desertloper

desertloper AH Veteran

My Photos:
    Member of:
    SCI, NRA
    Hunted:
    RSA
  9. enysse

enysse AH Ambassador

My Photos:
    Member of:
    Hunted:
    Mine were packed to close to support structures. The plastic bubble wrap broke through, rubbed the hair off the cape leaving a bare spot on 3 animals. All on the neck. I find that disturbing.

RickP likes this.
  10. desertloper

desertloper AH Veteran

My Photos:
    Member of:
    SCI, NRA
    Hunted:
    RSA
    That would suck. Sorry to hear that. I guess I look at it this way..as you can see, you have to get creative to pack a lot of critters in a tight space, if the box gets bigger costs start going up every leg of the journey home.

To keep on topic, My recommendation is to keep doing what you are doing. Talk with customers, do your research, listen to your outfitter and visit their shop. It's really a cool part of the experience.

How our crates looked inside:

http://www.africahunting.com/huntin...wphoto.php?photo=31635&title=trophies&cat=507

http://www.africahunting.com/huntin...wphoto.php?photo=31636&title=trophies&cat=507

11. CAustin

CAustin AH Fanatic

My Photos:
    Hunted:
    South Africa
    I suggest you take a look at Capricorn. I've used Mike Smith the owner twice and I've been very satisfied with his work. They crate the trophies very well. My trophies from last year arrived in early April with no damage. Eight animals done in shoulder mounts three back skins and all were great . Mike uses plywood and 2x4s to make the crate and then screws the mounts to the floor and side walls making sure nothing touches a trophy....even another trophy. Hope your hunt goes well for you.

12. RickP

RickP AH Veteran

My Photos:
    Hunted:
    USA, Free State of South Africa, East Cape of South Africa
    I recommend against using them. Our taxidermist is very experienced and he said that he didn't think that the hides were handled properly. We got our taxidermy back from our last trip on which Splitting Image performed our dip-and-pack and the hides were pretty bad. They had *lots* of slippage of the hair. My reedbuck has the hair missing around the antlers and hair missing around the left eye and ear. The kudu had bare spots. The black wildebeest was missing his eyelashes. A buddy had bare spots on his beautiful full body nyala. I will *not* be using them again. We will probably be using Trophy Solutions again (which we used in 2009) which the taxidermist said he'd never seen better looking hides.