Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
USA/Canada
Member of
NRA Life Member, Handgun Hunters International, Quail Forever, SCI, DSC, DU
Hunted
USA (MS, LA, WV, CO, TX, AL, AR, & NM), South Africa, New Brunswick, Canada
Just in case I am not the last person to discover this; I found the foam in several boxes of Speer bullets had begun or had already disintegrated and the bullets in contact with the foam were corroded. Lost about two dozen .243 bullets, and spent some time salvaging two boxes of .375 Grand Slams.

Just a heads up.

Just in case I am not the last person to discover this; I found the foam in several boxes of Speer bullets had begun or had already disintegrated and the bullets in contact with the foam were corroded. Lost about two dozen .243 bullets, and spent some time salvaging two boxes of .375 Grand Slams.

Just a heads up.

Do you have a picture of what your describing?

No sir, I was focusing on cleaning up the mess. The foam stuck to the bullets, but I was able to wipe it off with a rag. The bullets turned green, just as they do when left in contact with leather for too long.

So what? Clean them and shoot them. The target wont care.

It just sort of surprised me that you "lost about two dozen" to this. Why? I found some corrosion on some bullets too the other day, been laying around in an open container and got some greens stuff growing on them as well. I had my tumbler going cleaning brass, so I just threw the bullets in with the brass and it cleaned them up pretty well. Sure not going to throw expensive bullets away because of discoloration. If they are really ugly you can use them for fouler shots.

It just sort of surprised me that you "lost about two dozen" to this. Why? I found some corrosion on some bullets too the other day, been laying around in an open container and got some greens stuff growing on them as well. I had my tumbler going cleaning brass, so I just threw the bullets in with the brass and it cleaned them up pretty well. Sure not going to throw expensive bullets away because of discoloration. If they are really ugly you can use them for fouler shots.

They weren't expensive bullets, actually pulldowns from factory ammo I was storing in that box. I tried cleaning them, but it was not to my satisfaction. Not something I wanted to put down a barrel.

Sounds like some kind of solvent got onto the bullets and then they transferred it to the foam. I have some of that foam from 30 years ago with bullets and no problems.

I believe it to be something with the foam. I had a couple of factory sealed boxes that had started to get sticky, but the bullets had not corroded yet.

Anyway, not my intention to start a controversy, just so those who wanted to check their supply could.

Thanks for the heads up! I have a box of 505's I'm going to have to check...

All of my ammo seems to be in plastic! But I did have some get a little discolored when they were in a leather pouch!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KathrinMcG

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!