spear hunting africa

Discussion in 'Hunting Africa' started by observe, Oct 11, 2011.

1. observe

observe CONTRIBUTOR AH Fanatic

My Photos:
    Member of:
    SAHGCA [Skilled Hunter qualified-Cum Laude], Handgun Hunters Assosiation of SA, Bowhunting, SAGA, Provincial Heavy caliber target shooting teams, Bisley qualified, Army sharpshooter rifle & pistol qualified, ...
    Hunted:
    R.S.A,Namibia,Venda
    spear hunting africa
    dont laugh, but when the primitive hunting urge call,its hard to put down!
    as i have hunted for many many years with all type of different 'tools', i have set myself now this new goal.
    i've studied,read and practiced a lot about this topic and as an experienced hunter realize fully what i am letting myself into.
    are there any PH or hunter out there with experience in spear hunting african game to give me some pointers to see if there is something that i,ve overlooked?
    hunting distance= close range ,probably from a tree -max 6-8m
    ambush a warthog from above to start with
    i.ve seen a lot of footage of spear hunting with dogs or throwing a spear at longer distances, or sticking a hog---not what i've in mind

anyone that can comment?
    boar spear.gif
    [except voicing that i'm a fool to try to do this? !!! lol]

2. joester

joester AH Veteran

Member of:
    No. Amer. Moose Foundation, Mule Deer Found; RMEF (life Member), SCI, NRA, RGS, NWTF, PF, DU, Izaac Walton League, Nat'l. Trappers Assoc.
    Hunted:
    US / Canada/Namibia/Moz/Zim
    I can't speak for Africa, but a type of spear hunting has recently been legalized in Pennsylvania...to hunt deer! Google " atlatl " --- Also, spear hunting feral hogs (bayed with dogs) is fairly poular in the some southern US states

3. AfricaHunting.com

AfricaHunting.com FOUNDER AH Ambassador

My Photos:
    observe,
    Check out the website of Gene Morris at www.huntingwithspears.com the self proclaimed "the greatest living spear hunter in the world"...

About Gene Morris
    So, just who is this Spear Chunker? Is he some sort of nut running around the world in a loin cloth, flinging his spears this way and that? No! Absolutely not! He is an exact, well-educated professionally-minded person who is fighting the "antis" in this own way-- the same way Fred Bear did-- by expanding hunting. The anti's goal is to stop all hunting! Morris' goal, through the expansion of hunting, is to put them out of business.

Has he, at age 77, reached the end of his rope? The end of changes in his hunting career? Hell, NO, he has not! For some years now, he has developed the techniques of throwing two spears at the same time by throwing one spear with his left hand and one spear with his right hand-- both at the same time. His quest? To take two animals at the same time. Since 2002, Morris has successfully done this 43 times-- taking 87 animals (his books describe how the extra animal was achieved). He is actively working on a technique of throwing three spears at the same time by using his right leg. This all might be hard for you to believe, but read about it in his books and watch it all happen on his DVDs (but not the gator DVD). Hunting with two spears being thrown at the same time is the primary way he now hunts.

Gene's Spear Tally
    Following is a list of animals taken with spears by the Spear Chunker:

GENE'S SPEAR TALLY 1973-2009
    TOTAL BIG GAME: 542

As of January 2011
    AFRICAN ANIMALS
    1 LION
    1 CAPE BUFFALO
    4 ELAND
    1 KUDU
    1 WILDEBEEST
    1 GEMSBOK
    2 ZEBRA
    5 BLESBOK
    7 WARTHOGS
    3 OSTRICH
    1 WATERBOK

OTHER ANIMALS FROM ALL OVER THE WORLD
    3 COUGARS
    1 WOLF
    2 ASIATIC WATER BUFFALO
    2 AMERICAN BUFFALO
    1 WHITE-LIPPED PECCARY
    2 FOUR-HORNED SHEEP
    2 BLACK BUCK
    2 BEARS
    154 BOARS
    2 JAVELINAS
    253 ALLIGATORS (OVER 7'-- BIGGEST 13'4ï½½")
    3 RED DEER
    4 SIKA DEER
    1 AXIS DEER
    2 FALLOW DEER
    61 WHITETAILS
    19 RAMS, SHEEP
    10 GOATS
    2 TURKEYS
    1 ELK
    1 WATUSI

556 TOTAL BIG GAME ANIMALS

4. AfricaHunting.com

AfricaHunting.com FOUNDER AH Ambassador

My Photos:
    Spears... and more spears!

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 28, 2014
  5. BRICKBURN

BRICKBURN SUPER MODERATOR CONTRIBUTOR GOLD BENEFACTOR AH Ambassador

My Photos:
    Member of:
    KZN Hunters Assoc
    Hunted:
    Namibia, South Africa, Botswana, Canada, USA, Mexico
    I have heard of spears being used for Jaguar.
    You get in close to the cat, hold the long spear absolutely still with the base of the spear securely in the ground and the cat charges impaling itself.
    Well, this is all fine as long as you hold it perfectly steady. If not, the cat swats the spear out of the way and you get a closer encounter than you originally planned for.

I have no idea about spear. The short pointy sticks coming out of my bow are the closest I have come.

Go for broke. I hope to read about the positive outcome on AH.
    Good luck.

6. observe

My Photos:
    Member of:
    SAHGCA [Skilled Hunter qualified-Cum Laude], Handgun Hunters Assosiation of SA, Bowhunting, SAGA, Provincial Heavy caliber target shooting teams, Bisley qualified, Army sharpshooter rifle & pistol qualified, ...
    Hunted:
    R.S.A,Namibia,Venda
    thanks!

if i'm successful [or out of hospital!] i'll definitely tell you all about it!

Alexander "Sasha" Siemel [Aleksandrs Ziemelis] (1890-1970) ,a famous hunter/actor of old ,hunting more than 300 jaguar armed only with a spear,is actually the legend that started me on this quest.

i first came to know him when i was younger out of one of Peter Hathaway Capstick books -- Death in the Silent Places,

he maintained also that to hunt a jaguar in the head high grass of south america -brazil [like our tambuki grass??], it is far better at that short a distance to have a good spear with you than a rifle!

Sasha Siemel - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

fascinating reading, and truly a legend in his time!

7. Macs B

Macs B AH Veteran

My Photos:
    I recall reading Peter Capstick's account of hunting and killing a Cape buff with a thrown spear. It was one of his collections of short stories and articles, if memory serves he also claimed to have caped the buff with his Swiss Army knife, maybe some kind of a "double or nothing"!

8. TOM

TOM AH Elite

My Photos:
    Member of:
    SCI,DSC, QDMA, QU
    Hunted:
    Africa...are there other continents to hunt?
    If you figure it out count me in. That sounds like a blast. I wonder how to get it over there? In a hard golf bag?

9. Calhoun

Calhoun AH Enthusiast

My Photos:
    Member of:
    SCI N.E. Wisconsin Chapter - WisNRA
    Personally I think a guy is nuts trying it. If that's what trips your trigger go for it! Hunters are in the minority & we can't afford to be fighting amongst each other. If it's legal support the people, don't cause waves amongst us! Good Luck & be Safe!

10. 35bore

35bore AH Elite

My Photos:
    Member of:
    NRA,Missouri hunters ed, SCI, Owensville Gun Club, Quail Forever
    Hunted:
    USA, South Africa, France
    Hunted Russian boar in Tenn. about 10 years ago, there was a group of guys there from VA. ( I think ) that were going out the day we were leaving. They were wearing these Sumo styled diaper/loin cloths and were going to hunt some hogs with spears. Looked funny as anything I had seen, best part is that it was about 65 degrees when we hunted, but the night before we were leaving, it dropped to around 25 degrees. I thought these guys were nuts for hunting hogs with spears, but after seeing them that next morning, when we could all see our breath and I saw the way they were dressed, the spears all of a sudden were not the focal point of their insanity. lol. Hunting is a wonderful thing, and you get to meet alot of great and comical people.

11. observe

My Photos:
    Member of:
    Hunted:
    R.S.A,Namibia,Venda
    legal and ethical spear hunting and hunters all over Africa

[maybe not everyone's cup of tea,but for sure an experience to remember for the rest of your life!]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

unfortunately i must agree that i think that more spear hunting today in Africa are done in an unethical [poaching] way than otherwise, still if you do it correctly,its an epic hunting discipline..

[​IMG]

1.jpg 1fbbfe3d2b04_sf_1.jpg 051 Dinka throws hunting spear.jpg 307609_10150339584443538_1043300723_n.jpg 971795_10152540658103538_1404348340_n.jpg 988618_459870177428424_1197182300_n - Copy.jpg blogger-image-827351221.jpg DSCN2178.jpg images (3).jpg images.jpg l.jpg Persistence hunting, where a Kalahari Bushman is preparing to spear a Kudu bull he chased for ma.jpg SAM_4129.JPG Spears, daggers and muskets after a Leopard hunt near Mount Bromo in East Java, 1912.jpg

12. observe

My Photos:
    Member of:
    Hunted:
    R.S.A,Namibia,Venda
    Spear hunting Cape Buffalo......

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

13. observe

My Photos:
    Member of:
    Hunted:
    R.S.A,Namibia,Venda
    is this for real or a photo shoot?
    still 'soft' on the eye!

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

• h.jpg
      h.jpg
      File size:
      110 KB
      Views:
  14. Nyati

Nyati AH Legend

My Photos:
    Member of:
    RFEC, RFETO
    Hunted:
    Finland, RSA ( KwaZulu Natal, Limpopo, North West ), Spain
    With a pink spear :hmmmer:

15. observe

My Photos:
    Member of:
    Hunted:
    R.S.A,Namibia,Venda
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

• s.jpg
      s.jpg
      File size:
      93.4 KB
      Views:
  16. observe

My Photos:
    Member of:
    Hunted:
    R.S.A,Namibia,Venda

17. observe

My Photos:
    Member of:
    Hunted:
    R.S.A,Namibia,Venda
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

• d.jpg
      d.jpg
      File size:
      38.9 KB
      Views:
  18. observe

My Photos:
    Member of:
    Hunted:
    R.S.A,Namibia,Venda
    Spear hunting Gemsbuck

I do not always condone some of these 'it's the kill and not the hunt' attitudes ,but admire that a spear in the hands of a skilled spear-man could kill such a big animal. :cook2::cook2:

19. observe

My Photos:
    Member of:
    Hunted:
    R.S.A,Namibia,Venda
    Spear hunting warthog

20. observe

My Photos:
    Member of:
    Hunted:
    R.S.A,Namibia,Venda
    Lion spear hunt