AH member
Reaction score
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
DSC
Hunted
USA. Canada South Africa
I am getting ready to make my trip to South Africa and I will be traveling with two bows and some very expensive optics and electronics. Should I register all of this thru Homeland Security prior to the hunt?
Is there any info any of you can provide that will make my process thru customs easy. I will not be taking any firearms.

Hi Jordan

If you are concerned as i was with new optics and camera. i went and had a 4457 filled out for each item. When you do this do 1 item per form. go on line and pull the form out and print it and take it with you to speed up your check item process.

I was asked at Seattle on my first trip about the new equipment and at that time i showed them the filled out 4457 forms. That was the only time i have been asked to show proof of ownership other than for my rifle.

I am getting ready to make my trip to South Africa and I will be traveling with two bows and some very expensive optics and electronics. Should I register all of this thru Homeland Security prior to the hunt?
Is there any info any of you can provide that will make my process thru customs easy. I will not be taking any firearms.

There is no need to fill out a form for every pc of stuff you have, just not necessary, and just more paperwork to lose. If you have a lot of stuff it might take two. Register all your stuff at the nearest Customs and Border Patrol office before you leave home, don't wait to do at the airport. In 6 trips I have never been asked to show papers for anything other than my rifle, and then only once.

Hi Jordan

If you are concerned as i was with new optics and camera. i went and had a 4457 filled out for each item. When you do this do 1 item per form. go on line and pull the form out and print it and take it with you to speed up your check item process.

I was asked at Seattle on my first trip about the new equipment and at that time i showed them the filled out 4457 forms. That was the only time i have been asked to show proof of ownership other than for my rifle.

I'll help you out here.

http://forms.cbp.gov/pdf/CBP_Form_4457.pdf

I must be the unlucky one. I've had to show my 4457 every time I've come home
OP- I would as suggested get a 4457 and put all your expensive stuff and rifle on it. They keep no record You take the paper work with you once it it "acknowledged" by their stamp that you had it here in the US before you left. When you come back you can show it to Customs if they ask. It's easy to do and can stop any problems before they start when you come back home.

I lived in Europe and traveled back to the States many times with my Shotguns for competitions (Skeet) and would recommend you take the time and fill out the 4457 for all your expensive items (anything over $150). It does not cost any money and is well worth the time. I was only asked for my form about 20% of the time, but I was glad that I had it. Again, it only costs about 30 minutes of your day if you have the forms prefilled out when you go to the custome shop.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OdessaHayg

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.