South Africa VAT Question and Import Question

Divernhunter

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Member of
Life member NRA and NAHC Escalon Sportsmans club, Manteca sportsman club and Coalinga Rifle Club. Member of SCI
Hunted
USA, RSA
Headed to SA April 24th and have a couple of questions. Please bear with me as I am a newbie and never been to Africa before. These may be stupid questions but I do not know and need to know.

I was told to keep reciepts and there is a form to fill out to get back the VAT I spend in SA.
1) What about the VAT on the hunt itself? Can I get that back and how?
2) What about the dip and pack VAT? Is there VAT on the dip and pack?
3) I plan to have some flat skins tanned there. What about any VAT on them?
4) Shipping them to the USA. Is there a VAT on that and can I get it back?
5) We are sightseeing in Capetown before hunting out of PE. Is there a VAT on the hotel bill? Can I get that back?
I was told there is a counter at the airport to do this and would like to kind of know what I am doing before I get there.

Another question:
I would like to bring home an elephant hair bracelet or 2 but was told the USA customs would take it. Yet I have heard others who did bring them home and did not get them taken. What is the deal? How do I get it home safely, if possible?
I would also like to bring home a couple of carved or uncarved warthog tusk. Is there a way I can do this and not have them taken at customs?

Anything I should NOT buy to bring home? This way I will not waste my money on items that I cannot bring into the USA.

We are looking forward to this trip and I want things to go as smothly as possible.

Thank you in advance for any helpfull answers---Doug

Unless you are going to drop some serious cash on material goods (jewelry) its probably not worth spending your vacation waiting in a line-too much shopping to do JNB ha terrific shops!

The only VAt you will really be able to claim are goods you buy to export. The skins tanned will be a service charge and you cannot claim that back. Only the goods you export and can show at the airport are refundable .... That does not include your last meal though :dollar::sorry:

Thank you for the help.

VAT's etc...

Desertloper is correct about doing most of your gift shopping at OR Tambo airport....On our first trip we visited several curiou and art shops all over Limpopo as well as Cape Town. We thought we found some very unique and original art and gifts only to discover that there is a great shop called "Out of Africa" in the international departure terminal that had everything we found elsewhere and more. It was also the same cost if not less for most of the items...

If you find a very unique or hand made craft out in the bush, you may definitely want to get it...But, for most of the popular items like ostrich eggs, warthog ivory, backskins, and elephant hair braceletes, etc...You will find them right at the airport shops.

As for elephant hair braceletes and porcupine quills, we have simply wrapped them up in tissue paper and put them in a zippered pocket in our checked luggage and have never had a problem in 4 trips...

If you are going to be spending some serious money on gifts or other stuff to bring back, you will want to save the receipts and you can redeem the VAT in the airpot terminal at one of the VAT offices. The line is usually not long, and the refund process takes about 10 minutes...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
febixix695

Latest profile posts

Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Francois R wrote on Lance Hopper's profile.
Hi Lance hope you well. The 10.75 x 68 did you purchase it in the end ? if so are you prepared to part with it ? rgs Francois