www.huntsafaris.co.za
Deals & offers
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Australia/NZ
Member of
DSC Life Member ; Eastern Cape Game Management Association ; PE Pistol and Rifle Club
Hunted
South Africa, Namibia, Zimbabwe, Mozambique, New Zealand, USA, Canada
Little blast from the past.....
During 2013, the US army and US Marines were sent to South Africa to assist our local soldiers with some training. The US soldiers were entrusted in teaching our local boys a couple of tricks. As not many of you might know the South African army, use to be one of the most feared armies in the world.At one stage, they were ranked 3rd best Army in the world, behind USA and Israel.

Sadly, those days are past now, with compulsory service no longer being enforced. Being a soldier has now become a job, simply another means of income, instead of the respect and honor of serving your country that use to be the drive behind these men.

The US army and Marines were each granted one day’s leave during the training exercises. They were given a couple of options on how they wished to spend their rest day. Hunting was one of these options.

KMG Hunting Safaris were entrusted in making this happen, and ended up guiding 68 hunters over a space of 3 days. The 68 hunters were split over 13 PH’s, over the 3 days, each going in different directions.

I have to say, and as all who have hunted with us know, I still guide myself and will for many more years, but guiding this hunt, must have been one of the most challenging 3 days that I have ever experienced in all of my years in hunting.

Starting at 5a.m in the morning, we would collect our soldiers who were allocated to us during the previous night. The organization from the CO’s was exemplary and we have to commend them for that. Without them, our job would have been a nightmare. They grouped the soldiers together as per species, so we could know exactly who was hunting what. This made it simple to allocate each group of soldiers to a PH and also know exactly which area they would be hunting the next day. The soldiers conducted themselves exceptionally well, and formed great teams with their PH’s. I think the discipline and respect that gets demanded from them daily and that gets drilled into them, really showed. They were always willing to learn about what we do, why we do things in certain ways, and were just a pleasure to guide and spend time with.

After each day’s hunt, we hosted a traditional “braai” or BBQ as most know them, treating the soldiers to some of the local foods and a brew or two.

Our day would usually end around 12a.m, after completing the PH registers, taxidermy forms and paperwork, ready to start the next day for the next group of hunters. Here are the five men that hunted with me personally over three days.

Crack! Thump! Set up for photo. Offload animal with my tracker to skin. Carry on hunting…..

Soldier_BWB_zps3b255174.jpg
Soldier-Impala1_zps60e79cac.jpg
Soldier-WhiteBles_zpsa5eadcd3.jpg
Soldier-Impala2_zps86267555.jpg
Soldier-Gemsbuck_zps47d53805.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Marius thank you for taking care of our Army and Marines. Great story and by the way I do like that white Blesbock ! I bet your skinners were worn out!

Marius great report to bring back up and you should be proud for all you did on that hunt. Nice to see some of the guys who risk it all for us getting something back for once.

The armed forces guys doing there jobs never get enough credit if you ask me.

Hats off to you Sir, and all who helped to make this happen.

I can personally attest to the impact upon a service member, when his/her service is recognized in such a way. It means a lot! I still talk about the time several of us went out on liberty in uniform and had an anonymous fellow customer pick up our whole tab as a thank you. That happened 36 years ago and it impacts me today (and of course, has motivated me to do the same!).

What a treat for these men, to get to do this! They will never, ever, forget this day.

Tim

Now here's a post that speaks to my heart. Thank you for sharing, Marius. I grew up with the Marines (my grandfather was a retired Major, my father a retired Master Sergeant, my brother a retired Major and now my nephew a 2nd Lt.). I have no doubt you made their day. I totally agree with Bill. Nice to see those who put their lives on the line for others (and far too often go unappreciated) getting something back. OoRah! (y):)

Thank you Marius for doing this for our Soldiers and Marines! I am sure this is an experience those guys will never forget. I am an US Navy veteran and I can tell you we weren't always treated this nicely by our hosts.

BTW, I certainly knew about the prowess of the South African Army from my officer training. The Recces are legends in my book.

Well done Marius!

Thank you.

Thanks for helping to take care of our boys Marius! Very commendable! Sad to hear about the state of SA army. Hopefully they can regain there former status. Anyway thanks for what you did.

Good work Marius:A Way To Go:

Wow, thanks for the response guys. (..and gal ;) ) Completely overwhelming! Quite a bit of healthy competition between the Army and Marines...

The Recces are legends in my book.
Yes sir, they were hard men. In RSA, they certainly don't make them like they use to. I've heard some grueling stories about their training in the quest to become a Recce. ( For those who don't know, they were South Africa's Special Forces.)

Marius thank you for taking care of our Army and Marines. Great story and by the way I do like that white Blesbock ! I bet your skinners were worn out!
On day #1, that white Blesbuck won animal of the day. He was a beast. He was certainly not World Record material, coming in at 17"+ , but the mass was incredible.

Thanks again,
Marius

Marius, thank you for the kindness and hospitality shown to our country's best. I'm certain that the memories they made with you will be treasured for a lifetime! Love it! And thank you for the report (y)

Thanks for helping to take care of our boys Marius! Very commendable! Sad to hear about the state of SA army. Hopefully they can regain there former status. Anyway thanks for what you did.

Marius, thank you for the kindness and hospitality shown to our country's best. I'm certain that the memories they made with you will be treasured for a lifetime! Love it! And thank you for the report (y)

Big +1 Marius, well done sir!

Very cool report, makes me want to get over there and hunt with you even more. I'm guessing that's your suppressed rifle they're using? I really like suppressed rifles. Thank you for taking care of those guys, I'm sure that will be a highlight to each of those men forever.

Thank You Marius! These are our brothers and sons and daughters. I am certain you all were exhausted but know that You earned a spot in their hearts and You are greatly appreciated. "If you can't stand behind your troops, please feel free to stand in front of them!"
Once more from an Ole Army Grunt, thanks!

Marius, please accept my most profound thanks. What an amazing act of generosity by you and your colleagues. There of those of us who well know the proud history of South African arms. Several years ago I had the unexpected privilege to spend several hours wandering around the ruins of Buffalo Camp up on the Angolan border, and was heartsick walking through fast disappearing remains of the cemetery. Brave men lying in the dust and thorn brush totally and deliberately forgotten by the post "liberation" governments. Good on you Marius.

.......... Brave men lying in the dust and thorn brush totally and deliberately forgotten by the post "liberation" governments. .........

That is disturbingly sad.

I'm guessing that's your suppressed rifle they're using? I really like suppressed rifles. Thank you for taking care of those guys, I'm sure that will be a highlight to each of those men forever.

Yes, sir. The only rifles that I don't have that are suppressed are the ones for DG hunts. The two plains game rifles are in .308Win, and .300Win Mag. You can see the shot strike through the scope with the .308Win. It also helped to make the Ruger .300Win a bit more manageable. It had a really nasty, sharp recoil to it.

That is disturbingly sad.
Agreed. Makes you wonder what they died for....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lepani

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!