Reaction score
Deals & offers
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Hunted
Canada (British Columbia, Alberta), Mexico, Zimbabwe, South Africa (Limpopo, North Cape), USA
I have paid in full for a White Rhino hunt, my trip is supposed to be in January. Unfortunately, I received an email recently stating all communications are now to go through him, and not my agent Theo / SkinAfrika (a very good guy I've dealt with before), and to pay him an undisclosed amount (Mr Bakker). I replied that I'm paid in full, and not sure what is going on, and have been cordial so far.

It has become more worrisome as I work with Theo on this, in that Theo was told by Mr. Bakker never to contact him again, and he is not replying to me either despite telling Theo that he is now in direct communication with me, which so far is not true. I got Mr. Bakker on the phone once when he likely didn't realize who's number it was, this call followed several unanswered emails, and Mr. Bakker said he had internet trouble and would reply to all my concerns that day. No reply, and it's been roughly a week. I tried whattsapp, and it went through, and I received a couple vague one to three word replies to questions that didn't answer anything really.

I had a trip to Cameroon immediately before this one, and needed tickets booked to get my hunting licence there. Unfortunately I have to bundle the two trips together to make it fit life and I was forced to cancel Cameroon, as it was going to be too late and the Rhino is by far the most expensive hunt I'll ever book and takes priority right now.

If anyone knows or knows of Mr. Anton Bakker / Rhinocon or and can help bring some light to the situation, it is appreciated. I want to give him the benefit of the doubt but with the amount of money of mine he's holding that I can't afford to lose, I'd like to think I'm understandably nervous. Theo is also a top shelf fellow to deal with and I find his sudden hostility to SkinAfrika disturbing and inexplicable.

I realize likely little will come of this post, but hopefully, it can spread the information and at least help others. Hopefully this all comes together but with each passing day, my optimism dwindles,

Angus

Here is their website with the individuals,

http://www.rhinocon815.co.za/?page_id=106

And the only AfricaHunting post from him,

http://www.africahunting.com/threads/anton-bakker.11643/

Sorry to hear Angus, I hope everything works out for you. Communication problems and being thousands of miles away complicates things. Keep us updated, best wishes to a successful hunt.

I hope it turns out well.

but, this post is what would have me concerned.

Here we go! My name is Anton Bakker ………………….
My registration as an outfitter should be done shortly. My website will be up and running soon but what a job LOL. I operate as an agent at the moment and have PH's employed which must adhere to my strict rules.
………………....

Unfortunate name for a company; Rhino con

I sincerely hope your agent checked this guy out and determined he has an Outfitters license.
Otherwise, it's another unlicensed Outfitter situation.

jeeez , I hope this turns out good,mate.
theo is a good bloke to talk to for sure . its a good thing he is in your corner .

Oh man. Honestly, I'd also be concerned that he asked for more money when you'd paid in full.

I don't know enough about how agent contracts work as I've never used one, but doesn't the agent have some responsibility here as well?

If Theo was your contact person, or link to Anton, pull him through the ringer good guy or not he put you in contact and should assist you in this process, no if or but's.

I would seek legal advice, do you have acknowledgement of payments or funds received?

Who provided account detail for payment and to who's account did the funds go?

Do you have any kind of written agreement and or contract?

My best always

Sorry to hear of your troubles. Do you have any direct contact with the outfitter whom may be able to assist in the booking agent confusion? This has a lot of red flags. Did Mr. Bakker give a reason why you need to pay him an additional amount? I'd give it another week or two and if the situation doesn't improve than seek legal advice. Talk to your original agent to see if he has any more info on whats going on. I hope it all gets resolved. Some of the outfitters on here or those with more booking experience should have some good advice.

If Theo was your contact person, or link to Anton, pull him through the ringer good guy or not he put you in contact and should assist you in this process, no if or but's.

I would seek legal advice, do you have acknowledgement of payments or funds received?

Who provided account detail for payment and to who's account did the funds go?

Do you have any kind of written agreement and or contract?

My best always

Who got the funds? I would not play with this for another two weeks, I would start working on this right away.

By my calculations and knowledge of Rhino pricing they should definitely have in the region of 70k that is allot of money and resolving this as you very well know should be a priority.

Sorry to hear about your problems. I agree with Jaco. Don't wait.

Not sure what your paperwork is like or the money trail but it should be pretty tight if you have an agent involved and if he has done his job. You should be all over your agent to get this worked out. Get your agent to get an attorney involved. (The agent may be a nice guy but remember he got you hooked up with Rhinocon) If he won't you should probably get one yourself. Possibly some of the South Africans here could help with recommendations.

Thanks for the heads up regarding the parties involved in this.

I hope to read your report and watch the video!(y)

@Ardent sorry to hear about this very unfortunate event.

I would take this matter up very seriously if I were you. No time to play around and give him more rope as well.

I have contacted a contact that is high up in the rhino ranks working closely with Interpol and the Hawks in South Africa. Gave him information to work with and will see what he can come up with regarding records, history and more. As @Jaco Strauss mentioned, do you have any contract, invoices, agreements or so about this transaction?

Is this perhaps the same fellow: http://www.bakkerlaw.co.za/about_us.html

Let us know if there is something we can do to assist you any further.

all the best,

Loodt Buchner

Last edited:
Biggest mistake you can make right now is to wait...IMO you need to find who and where your monies are being held.

I would recommend contacting a gentlemen at the environmental investigation unit, as they will be able to shed some light on the goings on.

Please note that I am not insinuating or naming any individual or company but leave it up to you to make your own summation.

0027 79 257 6824 (investigating officer)
Pm me for this persons name.

My best always

I have to admit I'm appreciative of being reminded of all the good guys in the sport and industry. I'm digging as we speak to get where money went, when, to which accounts and so forth, initially it was made in two installments to my agent, one 50% deposit, and final payment at time of CITES application. For SkinAfrika / the agent's part, Theo has already put in writing I won't lose the money and is likely the most angry person in all of this, it is my current understanding Mr. Bakker has the funds however. Mr. Bakker seems to be facing challenges and had his lawyer send a letter to SkinAfrika to cease contact, and SkinAfrika / Theo is perplexed by what is going on. I'll have to be both cautious what details are shared early here in order to protect the possibility of a amicable outcome and my first choice, the trip going ahead as planned, and provide enough the community can help as you already are. If it truly turns out intentions are nefarious I will detail the entire case here as I don't want anyone going through that.

I think legal counsel in South Africa is likely a good decision, I have a good deal of information on Mr. Bakker and where to find him and so forth. I don't mind travelling to RSA to sort this out with the amount of money involved, still have family there and can call it a family visit.

Jaco, a big thank you, I will follow up with the information you've offered there, and will message you. I do not believe it is the same Bakker, the lawyer, just coincidence there TooTabi, and I'll be sure to move aggressively on this immediately.

Angus

Good luck Angus.

Damn, hope that this is not a con, and that this is only a communication problem.

Good Luck.

Angus

the AH group has been here for you to assist and help you.

you have received a good bunch of information.

we do hope that all is worked out so that you will have your prised hunt.

to drop Cameroon at a hunting destination is a bummer, people like to plan and whn wrenches are thrown in it make life difficult.

positive thought and best wishes

I do hope this gets worked out for you Ardent!

I hope so too, it's rather scary as I'm a young dad and bush pilot in northern Canada, chasing the Big Five dream. It's a loss that would forever change what I achieve in Africa, and being the most expensive of the Five I sold all my toys and went to get it out of the way. I really hope it's simple problems but as things come to light it doesn't appear that way.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ThaliaPace

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Coltwoody@me.com
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross