SOUTH AFRICA: Unethical PH Wynand De Jager

houston49

AH member
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
I hunted in Mpumalanga Province of South Africa in July of 2011. My PH was Wynand De Jager. I hunted on private property in Mpumalanga and a private game reserve at Bayala, which is about 4 or 5 hours south close to the Indian Ocean. A licensed PH from Grand Junction, Colo. was also in our party. Upon returning to the U.S. I wired the required funds to the PH in Grand Junction. He the wired the money to Wynand De Jager in Africa to pay the land owner at Bayala. The land owner was never paid by Wynand and my friend in Grand Junction had to send his own money to the land owner at Bayala. In addition, Wynand had done nothing with the animals from July until February. I had another taxidermist near Bayala pick them up from Wynand. I feel Wynand should be reported so other hunter's aren't ripped off. If I knew who or what organization to file a complaint with, I would do so.

Houston

Welcome to AH..

Sound like you had some issues.

First post a report on AH in the "outfitters" section for all to use in the future.

Second contact the South Africa Professional hunters association and see what steps you will need to take.

Also post on the hunting report newsletter. Join if you don't already belong, great publication. Sorry about your misfortune.

Houston

Welcome to AH..

Sound like you had some issues.

First post a report on AH in the "outfitters" section for all to use in the future.

Second contact the South Africa Professional hunters association and see what steps you will need to take.

These are probably your best options. Hopefully they will be able to help you out.

Welcome to AH.
Sorry to hear about your problems. Please share some more about the incident and the alleged culprit.
Do you have a web page or contact information about this hunt?
What did you hunt?
Do you know the farm you were hunting on?
Please provide a full hunting report for us so everyone can see what happened.

Thanks

Number one if you were down by Bayala that is KwaZulu Natal province, not Mpumalanga.

Here are some contacts.

South African Police Service
SAPS homepage

Wildlife Crime sources for contact.

DEPARTMENT OF ENVIRONMENTAL AFFAIRS (DEA) HOTLINE 24 HOURS ALL ENVIRONMENTAL ISSUES (0800) 205 005 environment@tip-offs.com

KWAZULU NATAL KZN WILDLIFE
Roderick Potter Senior Enforcement Officer Biodiversity (082) 772 8343 rpotter@kznwildlife.com

Wayne Evans Marine Prosecutions Officer (031) 274-1188 evansw@kznwildlife.com

MPUMALANGA TOURISM AND PARKS AGENCY (MTPA)

Juan de Beer Manager Biodiversity Enforcement (013) 759-5320/(083) 628 1827 juan@mtpa.co.za

Melissa Jooste Enforcement Officer Ermelo Area (073) 334 0738 melissa@mtpa.co.za

Riaan de Lange Senior Conservation Officer Hunting Officer (013) 759-5336/(083) 626 6312 riaan@mtpa.co.za

Louw Steyn Manager Damage Causing Animal Control Unit (013) 759-5337 louw@mtpa.co.za

I looked and can not find this man as a PHASA member but please feel free to look for yourself.

Professional Hunters' Association of South Africa

Welcome to AH.
Sorry to hear about your problems. Please share some more about the incident and the alleged culprit.
Do you have a web page or contact information about this hunt?
What did you hunt?
Do you know the farm you were hunting on?
Please provide a full hunting report for us so everyone can see what happened.

Thanks

Sorry to hear about the bad report and as BRICKBURN mentioned please do share a bit more information.

Hi Houston49

I am sorry to hear about your bad experience please also forward your complaint to PHASA should the guilty party be a PHASA member they will act!

All the best of luck to you.

Best Regards
Louis van Bergen

I originally booked the hunt through my friend in Grand Junction. He has known Wynand for many years. A friend of mine also went to Africa with me. Upon arrival we were picked up in Johannesburg by my Grand Junction friend who is also a PH.The first 4 or 5 days we stayed with Wynand in the Mpumpalanga Province. Wynand was my PH and honestly, I was not happy nor impressed. We then drove several hours to Bayala and hunted there for 3 or 4 days. I shot a total of 14 animals and my friend shot 11. We had paid in advance for the animals we wanted. I added some animals as did my friend. My Grand Junction friend advised us to wire the balance upon our return to the U.S. The money was wired within three or four days. He then wired the money to Wynand to send to Bayala. The money was never sent to Bayala. The owner of Bayala threatened to file suit on Wynand unless he got his money or the animals back. The animals were returned to him and my friend in Grand Junction had to pay Bayala with his personal funds so Bayala would release the animals.A local taxidermist contacted Wynand and then picked up our animals. Wynand had the animals from the first of August until Feb of this year. Needless to say, my friend in Colo. is no longer associated with Wynand. He was told the animals were taken to a taxidermist to prepare for shipment to the U.S. It was after he got curious the truth came out. My friend in Grand Junction owns a business that keeps him very busy and admittedly failed to keep up to date with Wynand and the progress of the animals. I received a email from the taxidermist in Africa today . He advised me he will start mounting my animals next week and they should be ready for shipment by the first of August.

That good old depending on someone else to do something on your behalf strikes again! You just can't trust people any more. Hopefully everything works out for you.

I originally booked the hunt through my friend in Grand Junction. He has known Wynand for many years. A friend of mine also went to Africa with me. Upon arrival we were picked up in Johannesburg by my Grand Junction friend who is also a PH. ................

A licensed ph from grand junction... Licensed in SA?

My best always

Last edited by a moderator:
I was told he was licensed in South Africa. I have since attempted to find his name on South Africa list of PH's and could not. Both pretty much left me on my own in regards to getting my animals back to US. Johannes, with Ubombo Taxidermy in Natal Province handled everything for me and got my animals to me.

I was told he was licensed in South Africa. I have since attempted to find his name on South Africa list of PH's and could not. Both pretty much left me on my own in regards to getting my animals back to US. Johannes, with Ubombo Taxidermy in Natal Province handled everything for me and got my animals to me.

Johannes is unbelievably helpful. Glad he helped you out of your fix.
Hope you are happy with your mounts.

Johannes is unbelievably helpful. Glad he helped you out of your fix.
Hope you are happy with your mounts.

Glad it worked out I hope that the African flame still burns within..

My best always

This is late responding. I hunted in both Provinces. I did finally get all my animals except my Impala. It was confiscated by USF& and W in Houston. Claimed it was a Black Faced Impala. I have filed a Petition for Remission and requested a DNA that I am willing to pay for. I also sent pics of my Impala, which looks nothing like a Blacked Faced Impala.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
goldpatnners

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Jackal hunt on triggercam,

Jackal hunt on triggercam,