SOUTH AFRICA: KZN Hunt Report

IanB

AH member
Reaction score
Deals & offers
Hunting reports
Africa
Our good friend and client Tejedor is currently completing his hunt here in KZN.
He has take some great trophies so far. I am sure a report will follow but here are some sneak peaks.
Many people do not realise that we have world class European Wild Boar in South Africa. This one was estimated to weigh over 250kg.
9" Vaal Rhebok
Excellent Mountain Reedbuck
IMG_1532.JPG
IMG_1545.JPG
IMG_1529.JPG

90kg Bushpig sow (photo to follow)

Last edited by a moderator:
Congrats to Tejedor on some nice trophies.

Not enough species to hunt in SA. Have to add Boars?!?!

Funny story actually.
There is a story that there was a borer beetle that was destroying pine plantations, so the forestry department brought in Boars to eat the borer. These animals spread and started doing damage. They were heavily hunted at one point but then ended up surviving in pockets all over the country.

Today we have world class 100% free range populations of European Wild Boar in SA. Just out of interest we also have free range populations of Barbary sheep which you have to fly into by helicopter in order to hunt them.
Nature will always find a way. Amazing!!!!

Congrats for the very nice trophies !

With what we are experiencing in Texas with feral hogs, I fear what will happen in SA....not good.

With what we are experiencing in Texas with feral hogs, I fear what will happen in SA....not good.

I was thinking the same thing Wes. Those piggies can take over an area in a hurry!

Invasive for sure.

both the vahlie and the mountain reed bok are crackers.....
congratulations Tejedor
that porker is a bruiser .

Congrats to you and your hunter.

You are 100% on the problem that pigs pose now.

I heard a saying that I think sums it up nicely.

"There are two kinds of place in the world; where the pigs are, and where the pigs are going to be".

I think its just a matter of time before they are uncontrollable. We are seeing bushpig in places they have never been historically recorded.

Thanks for all the positive comments, I will be sure to pass them on.

Shoot all those pigs now! Open season on them before they take over.

Russian/Feral hogs are prolific breeders. Has studies been conducted to determine if they can cross-breed with the bushpig? That would be an additional tragedy above and beyond the destruction to the ecosystem!

At present it is unrestricted hunting of both bushpig and wild boar.
With regards to cross breeding, I know that they have crossed onto domestic pigs. I am not however aware of any bushpig x wild boars.

Here is a better picture of the boar.
11012208_997908860220937_3303941968529823185_n.jpg

Where about in KZN you hunt?

I've uploaded a video of the mad dash for the boar on Wednesday. I suggest you do the right click on the link and save it to your computer for viewing.

Bushpig Sprint

Colin

Little town called Kokstad, but we have bases across the province that we use.
Two main free range concessions where we have superb Nyala, Kudu and Bushbuck too. We really are extremely lucky with the great variety and quality of the areas we have access to.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edwardsrailcarcom00

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg