Deals & offers
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
New member of SCI
Hunted
USA, Africa
Hello all,

Ive got a couple questions regarding RH (Richard Holmes) Safaris.

The back story is this, I was poking around in a local fine gun room looking at the selection and educating myself on the Safari Rifle subject ( I'm a well informed very experienced small arms shooter and instructor, but brand new to big bores and most safari/africa subjects in general)

So as I'm talking to the salesman, I mention that my daughter and I are looking to go on a safari this coming spring or summer and he asks if I would be interested in a nice package he has for sale second hand. Here's the deal.

A friend/acquaintance of his bought a RH Safari at a Rocky Mountain Elks Foundation auction and ended up not being able to go, he is looking to recoup some of a good portion of this loss. It seems to be about a 14k package and can be had for around 6k I would say. He did not give near 14k for it at auction, but if I recall that's the value stated. I have not contacted RH about transferring it as I wanted to ask a couple questions first

What is the hunting like that far south? The addy reads Craddock, SA.

What game is abundant there? ( We'll probably not be going after the big five for the first Safari, but I do want a trophy Kudu or Sable and a nice warthog, among whatever else may present itself. )

What is known and has anyone here been a customer of RH Safaris and would they recommend them?

Any other pertinent info.

I don't mind saving some coin, but I'm not cheap and want a quality, enjoyable experience for myself and my daughter. PLUS Ill be attending the SCI show in Vegas and plan to attend the auctions there and talk to folks in person before making my final decision.

thanks all for any enlightenment you may provide.

Craigco; Look under outfitters, go to the letter R, they have a site there. They list a 10 day hunt special for $500.00, exclusive of trophy fees. Considerable cheaper than what the guy is offering. Look for your self. All available on the top of this page.

....I wanted to ask a couple questions first
The transferability issue may be possible given the booking policy:

14 BOOKING: No moneys are refundable, but all moneys paid remain a credit on a safari. The prices of the year in which the safari takes place are payable, credits are transferable to other hunters who take over a cancelled...

What is the hunting like that far south? The addy reads Craddock, SA.

Cradock is a town close by.
The hunting will be on 2 or more farms in the Eastern Cape.
"Clifton Farm is on the Great Fish River off the R61 highway .
The website has a Google Map feature.
Clifton is not a huge property from my SA Topo Maps view.
It is farmed along the river (crops)
Sterling is larger and within a short drive down the road.

Go to Google Earth and you can use street view to see the kind of country you would be hunting off the r61 at the Aloedale exit.

What game is abundant there? ( We'll probably not be going after the big five for the first Safari, but I do want a trophy Kudu or Sable and a nice warthog, among whatever else may present itself. )

From their website:
General Conditions
1 All animals are subject to availability

Now I find that very interesting. What does that mean?

Your wish list is not here on their list of "Hunting Species".

Also from the website:
"Hunting Species"
Blesbuck, common
Blesbuck, white
Bontebok
Buffalo, cape
Bushbuck, cape
Deer, fallow
Duiker, grey
Duiker, blue
Eland, cape
Gemsbuck

I hunted very close to this farm a little further North West and chased some Blesbuck and Springbok. It is wide open country with some creek and river bottom cover. Kind of like prairie hunting out west.
As they say on the site, long shots can be the norm.

Good Luck.

Hope this might help.

My two cents is do yourself a favor and do some research. The hunt your mentioned is nothing special. For what you are looking to hunt, you would be far better off to look at a number of different operations.

Best of luck, if you have more questions, ask away.

Thanks for the responses, they pretty much firm up what I had been leaning towards deciding.
I appreciate the feedback. Had not thought of google earthing it, DOH! Good idea :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DelbertBat

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross