buddy48

AH senior member
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Hunted
Georgia, South Carolina, Iowa, Montana, Missouri, South Africa
Well….here I am back in the states and already back to work. What a bummer. It took me a little longer to put my report up that what I planned, but work got in the way. We have tons of great memories from our first safari. My son and I had an absolute blast. We went with Ricus Devilliers and White Lion Safaris from Jul 8th-16th. We hunted the Free State and the Northern Cape. Man, I can’t say enough about Ricus and his crew. They all made you feel right at home. For a first safari I didn’t know what to expect. Now, when I go again their operation is what I’ll measure others against and I think they may be tough to beat. We were the only ones in camp so maybe we got more attention than usual, but I don’t think so. They make you feel welcomed for sure.

As you may be aware the trip started off kind of hairy. I think I may have been jinxed by the “Pink Haired Lady” that @Royal 27 became friends with in Atlanta Airport ;) She lectured us about having to speak to a higher power because of our sport. I know I’ll speak to a higher power one day, but it won’t be because I judged someone else for their beliefs. She’ll most likely have to deal with that conversation. Oh, well. To each his or her own! J

Anyway, the first flight was turned around due to a medical emergency and then it went downhill from there. You can read that saga in this thread: http://www.africahunting.com/thread...has-been-interesting.30084/page-2#post-283510

Once we got to camp we set out right away to hunt. We had to borrow our PH’s rifle since ours were “lost”. It was a great gun with a lot of history. It belonged to the father of our PH and it was his competition rifle. A single shot .308 build with a Lyttleton Action (Musgrave). It had a bull barrel with a wide bench rest stock. One shot from my son and he was in love with it. It was probably the most accurate gun he had ever shot. The PH put a business card size piece of paper on a target at 100 yards and my son hit it..twice..once from a bench and the second from the sticks. He was ready. After I took a couple of shots we headed out.

Not long after we headed out we spotted a group of Impala. My son had this on his list so we set out on foot. It was our first stalk in Africa. We learned quickly that if we wanted to be quite here (where they had been in one of the worst droughts in decades) that we should have strapped empty water bottles to our feet and practiced walking without making noise. Everything crunched! We stalked the impala for several hundred yards and came upon some wildebeest. We thought the impala had given us the slip and the hunt was on for wildebeest. A bit later we came across the impala again and one presented a shot for my son. It would have taken a pickup truck hitting him to keep him from shooting that impala! He was locked on! It was about 120 yards away facing us and he had us pegged. He settled the cross hairs on the chest, squeezed the trigger. After the commotion settled down we walked over to our first animal in Africa. We were both stoked! He hit it perfect in the chest! He held his nerves and all that practicing had paid off!!

full

Wyatt's first African Animal!

The next day, July 10th, came and went without much action, but the following day was great. We went back to where we first saw the blue wildebeest and found them not too far from where we first spotted them. This time they were in a spot that allowed us a great stalk. We backed down the hill and went around and eased up the same ridge they were on. We had a great cross wind. There was no way they would wind us. They milled around what seem like forever then were on the move. Unfortunately they never offered a shot so we had to take a different approach. This time we stalked up within 100 yards and they were right below us. We assumed they would move to a flat but then started moving away from us but not too long after offered my son a shot at about 190 yards. Once again he squeezed the trigger and the bullet found its mark! Animal #2!

Tuesday the 12th was uneventful. We went after springbok in the morning but it didn’t work out. Those rascals were in a large grass flat/prairie that must have been 2000-3000 acres. We tried to set up on a small earthen dam and then try a drive type hunt but with that much open room they went where they wanted to. It was like herding cats. We were after them though. I snapped this picture while we waited because it made me think of a sniper waiting for an opportunity. Notice the hat. We’re in South Africa but we still represent the Stars and Stripes!!

That afternoon we decided to set up by a waterhole where a kudu had been coming in. The Kudu never showed, but there were two red lechwe that came in a watered. Man were they beautiful. As they watered in front of us for 30-45 minutes the PH and I were talking about how the week before there was a hunter that wanted one really bad. They weren’t on my list and there they stood 150 yards from us. Funny how that happens huh. :)

No animals this day.

The morning of the 13th we were once again at the water hole, but nothing again….Around 8:30 a.m. we went after springbok again, but we weren’t successful. My son REALLY wanted one of these. This was at the top of his list so we were after them hard. After lunch we went back after them and on the way through this big grass flat the PH had the driver turn around and drive back in the direction we came from. After about a half mile he stopped and told me he saw two Gemsboks working the edge of a hill in the grass flat. The stalk was on. We got above them and I had an opening about 75 yards below me. I had good wind and we were just waiting for them to get there. Lo and behold their 6th sense kicked in and they turned and went out in the grass flat right before they got to the opening…it’s never easy huh…I was able to get a shot at about 180 yards. And, to my surprise after the shot the gemsbok kicked his back foot, swished his tail and started walking again. Now, this may not seem like much to you experienced Africa Hunters, but to this Georgia boy it blew my mind. An animal that will take 180 grain bullet square on the shoulder and barely flinch is amazing. He stopped again and I shot him again. The whole time I’m thinking I missed or I hit him too far back, but the PH said I hit him square. After the second shot he essentially laid down like he was tired. He would have died, but being humane I put one in his neck to end it sooner rather than later. When I got up to him I was amazed at the size and beauty. Pictures don’t do them justice!

That evening we went after blue wildebeest again. After seeing the first one my son killed the wife said she wanted a rug…Who am I to argue with the lady? She wants a rug she gets a rug!! ;) So we found a group rather quickly and started after them. About 10 minutes into the stalk something spooked them and they come running straight for us. At about 90 yards out the one the PH picked out stopped and I hit him right in the chest. He ran about 25 yards and that was it. There lay my wife’s rug in its most natural state! J

The next morning we went to another area in the Northern Cape to get after Kudu!! We spent probably an hour looking until we spotted them. Once we had them located, which was the most difficult part for the entire hunt, the biggest bull offered me a shot. He had that look as if he was about to bolt and the only opening was his neck. So, here’s how it worked out! :)

Not much more action the afternoon on the 13th. The morning of the 14th we were back after the springbok! This time we had luck on our side. We found a group in the hills and the stalk was on. As my son and the PH were making their approach the springbok turned and ran towards them and stopped 20 yards on the other side of a bush they were behind! The closest they’ve been and no opportunity for a shot! The group winded them and took off down the hill. The PH had an idea about where they may head. So they back out and went around the hill. The springbok didn’t take the exact path he anticipated but it was close enough to offer another shot. This time I wasn’t with them so all I could do was sit and listen for the shot. There it was; a solid hit. After the shot the PH said, “I’m not sure you hit him.” My son said, “I’m pretty sure I did and I’m pretty sure he’s lying dead where he was standing.” Sure enough, there he was!! J Our tracker/skinner was very impressed with my son. When we heard the shot hit he said, “That boy is good. He does not miss.” He didn’t. J Dad was proud. All the practicing paid off!!

The next day, Friday the 15th, we went after my springbok. My hunt went a lot better than when my son was chasing them. We sat up on a hill and had luck on our side. Four rams worked our way and then a farm truck on the adjacent property spooked them and here they come. They were running so fast I couldn’t get on the lead one, the biggest one, with my scope. They got within 40 yards of us and winded us. They took off straight away and stopped about 250 yards out. Do you know how small a springbok is a 250 yards even with a 10X Leupold scope on him? Pretty damn small for my eyes I can tell you that. Anyway, I held tight and squeezed the trigger and finished the deal! Glad I practiced off of those sticks. It was weird that when I was looking at him through the scope he seemed to be moving all around even though I’m sure his feet were firmly in one spot. ;)

After lunch we headed out after blesbuck. This was my son’s favorite stalk. We had seen the blesbock earlier in the day when they headed up in the hills so that’s where we started. We searched several different grass flats on one particular hill to no avail. Just before we were trying to decide whether or not we should leave the tracker mentioned that they may be at the back of this hill on a lower flat. Sure enough we eased that way and there they were. The stalk started and not long after the PH asked me and our skinner/tracker to stay put while he and my son finished the stalk. They walked hunched over for 150 yards or so and then they got down on their hands and knees for the last 100 yards or so. My son thought it was awesome. Once again, all I could do was sit and listen for the shot and there it was. Once again, one shot one kill, fell in his tracks!. It wasn’t a huge blesbok but it didn’t matter to us. The smile was big enough to me that I don’t care at all!! J

Once we took care of the blesbok the PH said whats next?!?!? Several times earlier that week we had seen a lone Black wildebeest. All the others were in a group. I asked why a loner and the PH had said he was a dominant bull and most likely had run the others off. Initially, I didn’t have these on my list, but they kind of grew on me after seeing them several times. So, when he asked what’s next it didn’t take me long to say black wildebeest. We went after the lone bull since it would most likely be an easier hunt. It didn’t’ take us long to find him and the hunt wasn’t much longer. Soon after we set out he offered me a broad side shot at about 180 yards. I joked with the PH that I wanted to make him fall in his tracks with one shot and the PH said he has never seen that on a blue or black wildebeest. He said they always run some. I put it in my mind I was gonna be the first. So I put the cross hairs just above the middle of the shoulder for the typical “high shoulder shot” that has dropped every whitetail deer I have ever shot in that location. As you may have figured once I squeezed the trigger the wildebeest took off running and made it 50 – 60 yards before piling up. When we got to him the PH was kind of shocked by his size. He knew he was a nice bull, but he said he didn’t realize how nice it really was. Supposedly he said it would most likely make SCI or Roland Ward. We’ll see! J Once the high fives and looking was over we turned him over to see where the shot exited. There was a hole the size of a tennis ball in his shoulder fromn the 180 grain trophy bonded bullet. I couldn’t believe he didn’t fall. Guess that goes the show once again how tough these animals are.

So, our hunt was awesome! Like I said earlier it started off a little rough. I wasn’t sure if we would ever make it, but it worked out fine. I can’t say enough good things about Ricus, his wife, and their operation, White Lion Safaris. They definitely make you feel very welcome and at home. My PH for 6 days, Jaco, was excellent as well. He was a very patient with me and my son, put us on some great animals, answered a million questions, and shared lots of info about local history. We hunted with Ricus the last day and he was awesome as well. I think he truly enjoyed hunting the blesbuck with my son. This hunt that started out a little rough turned out to be one great experience. We saw tons of animals. Not only was the hunting great but the cultural experience was awesome as well. My son and I will both treasure these memories forever! Now, gotta figure out the plan for getting back after a buffalo! ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Great story and your son has a great name.(y)(y)(y)

because you see this is my Wyatt's kudu

IMG_0407.jpg

You made it!

Congratulations on your successful hunt.

Great shooting by your son, you must be a proud dad for sure. Really like your black wildebeest, he's a beautiful animal.

Congrats on a great hunt and thanks for the report!

Congrats to both of you! Sounds like a great hunt with your son.

Congrats for a great hunt, and sharing it with your son, priceless !

wow you had a great hunt. Glad you were able to share a trip like that with your son. Those are all nice animals.

Looks like you had a great hunt! Thanks for the photos and report, very enjoyable to read.

Great shooting by your son, you must be a proud dad for sure. Really like your black wildebeest, he's a beautiful animal.

Thanks Sand Rat! Definitely proud. Truth is I really believe on a bench rest he can out shoot me! And the more I look at the pictures of my black wildebeest the harder the wait is gonna be for the taxidermy!

Looks like you had a great hunt! Thanks for the photos and report, very enjoyable to read.

Thank you sir! We did have a great time and an awesome hunt! In regard to the report....I'm an engineer by trade so writing is definitely not my string suit. I'm glad you found it enjoyable!

Thanks for sharing, great trophies and memories !!

Congrats!!!

Glad you had such a great hunt and really enjoyed meeting bith you and Wyatt!

And I will never forget the pink haired lady! LOL

Congrats and thanks for sharing!

Excellent reporting. You and your son made some great memories..love you black wildebeest. High on my hit list next round.

Congratulations on a great first Safari. It looks like you both had a wonderful time and made some amazing memories. Thank you for sharing.

Mike

Thanks for the great report.
I am working on a plan to hunt with Ricus in May next year. (Can't wait.)

Well done, your son will never forget that trip!

worth all the hassle !

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bkNen

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross