AH elite
Reaction score
Deals & offers
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
Houston Safari Club, Gulf Coast SCI, SCI International. Rowland Ward, NRA, RMEF, North American Hunting Club - Life Member, Texas Trophy Hunters
Hunted
Mozambique, South Africa, (Kwa-Zulu Natal, Free State & East Cape), Zimbabwe (Charisa & West Nicholson), U.S.(Texas, New Mexico, LA, Mississippi, Oklahoma, Wyoming & Montana), Canada (Alberta & Saskatchewan) & Argentina (Cordoba)
Lategan Safaris

Bennie & Carin Lategan

Free State/ East Cape, RSA

PG Hunt

Rifle: Browning Gold Medallion 7mm Rem. Mag.

Handloads: 160gr Nosler Accubonds 2995fps

Trophies taken:

Black Wildebeest – Red Letchwe – Steinbuck – Common Duiker – Mountain Reedbuck – Vaal Rhebok – Blesbok

Travel Agent: Frosch Travel (Riana Jamison)

Meet & Greet/Gun Permit: Air 2000

Airlines: Emirates & SAA

Prelog:

This adventure actually started back in 2004 at our Houston Safari Club Convention. A good friend and International hunter, Lloyd Swiedom introduced Sandy and I to Bennie and recommended him for a plains game safari for our first time to Africa. I spent quite a bit of time talking with Bennie and immediately formed a bond. That same weekend, my best friend’s wife purchased a plains game hunt for four hunters at our Ladies Luncheon event. It was a great deal with another outfitter recommended by another friend (Tommy Morrison of Sporting International). The hunt was with East Cape Hunters (Andrew Austin & Warwick Evens). Hunting with Bennie would have to be delayed. Little did I realize at the time it would be delayed for 11 years.

Over the years Sandy and I looked forward to seeing Bennie, his wife Carin and sometimes their two sons JB and Evan when they came to the HSC show every January. As my passion for Africa grew, the more exotic Africa locations and dangerous species haunted my dreams and thoughts of going back to the EC area always took a back seat. Every year though, I would talk to Bennie about someday going back to his area to try and take some of the animals only found there.

As most of you can relate, we try and plan a safari every 3-4 years at best due to having to work for a living…lol. Well at this year’s HSC convention, Bennie donated a 10 day hunt for two hunters and two observers with a credit for trophy fees. Needless to say, the bourbon was flowing freely that night so I decided to bite the bullet and set my sights on going home with Bennie’s hunt. After some spirited bidding, we were victorious! We’re going back to Africa!

Other than wanting to hunt with Bennie, there was also an additional motive. I have a non-hunting friend that has been infatuated with going to Africa his entire life. For one reason or another it just never came about. As you would expect, every topic discussed usually turned, somehow back to Africa stories. I contacted him and asked if they would be interested in being the observers on this trip. After hearing “you’re shitting me” a dozen times, the answer was, of course, “hell yes”. Since we supplied the trip he offered to take care of the airfare and we would call it “even”.

What would make this trip even more special was the fact that he has suffered with stage I Diabetes his entire life. Now that he has entered his fifties, the doctors are telling him that he basically has the body of an 85yr old. He really wanted to go now to be able to get around and enjoy it while he can. Remember what it was like anticipating the look on your kid’s faces on Christmas morning when they saw the presents under the tree? Well, that was what I was feeling looking forward to helping him realize a life-long dream. I honestly concentrated of making sure the trip fulfilled their expectations more than anything else. The actual hunting would just be “icing on the cake”!

Since this was going to be a “relaxing” trip, we decided to cut the hunting time a little short and do a tour of Addo National Park and travel the Garden Route down to Cape Town. We wanted the “first timers” to experience as much of Africa as possible. Let the planning begin!

To be continued.....

dsc02269-jpg.44592

Last edited by a moderator:
This should be good..... Bourbon fuelled hunting trip.

Oh man, I love the feel good part of this already!!!

You'd better be working on the next installmetn now!!!!

Okay....c mon I want to hear the rest.....

Patience gentlemen...patience :)

The Flight:

In looking at the flight options it really came down to preference and costs. With the SAA or Delta option we would have to overnite in Joberg due to arriving too late to catch a connecting flight to Bloemfontein. Not such a bad thing as we really enjoy the African Sky Guest House. With Emirates, going thru Dubai, we would arrive the following day, but it didn’t require an overnite. Emirates was actually $400 per ticket cheaper. Add on the overnite stay and for four people it would be a substantially more to go Delta or SAA. (I figured I just saved $1100 worth of trophy fees! I always convert costs into trophy fees! Don’t lie, you do too!) The original flight I thought we booked had a three hour gap between arriving Joberg and our connecting flight to Bloemfontein. I knew this is about as close as you want to make it due to the unknown factor of just how many hunters “hit” the police office at once. I have been there enough to feel it would be doable. When I received the final flight info, Riana had gotten nervous and booked us on an afternoon flight that was leaving seven hours after arriving. I was not very happy. After discussing my displeasure with Riana, I conceded that she was probably right. Note: A month before leaving to go, Emirates sent me an email stating the flight to Joberg, the arrival time had been moved 45 minutes later than originally planned. This definitely took Riana off the “hot seat”!

Fast foward to June 11th. Departure day! Arrive four hours early because I really don’t know what to expect as far as AEN, ITN, 4457, Custom inspections, blah, blah, blah. We get to the Emirates counter and I feel a set of laser like eyes on me. Uh, oh. “Sir, is that a weapon you have there?” Why yes it is I state.” Please step this way”. No problem kebosabie! (Tonto term of endearment!) Actually, this had us bypass about 200 other passengers waiting to check in, so it was a plus. After a little bit of confusion (permit paper work was already pre-approved by Emirates & UAE) we headed over to the TSA booth for inspection. Guess what. Nobody even asked me to open the gun case. The TSA lady wiped it down to test for explosives and said you’re good to go. I have learned, don’t try and apply logic….just go with it. The flight itself was, as expected, long, boring and uneventful. Six movies and one book later the wheels touched down on African soil!

Good start :)

...Actually, this had us bypass about 200 other passengers waiting to check in, so it was a plus...

This is one of the parts I actually like about travelling with guns. (y)

:A Surrender:Man, you guys are tough! :A Surrender:

Okay, for you non-Texans, you really must adjust your expectations. I'm not Texan either but I married one and this is just how it goes. You just need to read slower and go with that easy flow..........carry on Wes.

Sorry guys......trying to do this and get some work done too. I promise to speed things up!

We were in “Freaking Africa” as Eliot so aptly put it. This soon became the standard phrase for the rest of the trip…lol

We actually arrive thirty minutes ahead of the original scheduled time which allowed us to change our flight to the earlier one that we had originally planned on booking. An Air 2000 representative was waiting as we debarked and whisked us through passport control and customs. Once we entered the terminal he passed us off to another Air2000 representative that handled the gun permit with SAP’s. My gun case was waiting on us when we got to the SAPs office and no other hunters were there, so it took 5 minutes, tops, and we headed to the domestic terminal for our connection to Bloemfontein. On the way a call was made to Bennie to inform him of our new flight info so he could pick us up earlier than planned. Luckily Bennie was awake at 5:30am and said it was not a problem. One of his PH’s, Jacques Jordaan would meet us when we arrived.

The flight was short and uneventful. Jacques arrived shortly after we arrived so after introductions, we loaded up and headed south to Arwali North. On the way, Jacques told me that he and Bennie would be splitting time as my PH. Jacques was 26yrs old and had been raised in the area. Over the course of the trip, Jacques and I would become good friends and hunting partners. Between his skills and great personality, this young man has a great future in this business!

This was my first time traveling in the Free State. I could not help but comment to Jacques how much it reminded me of a lot of Wyoming. It was actually, pretty uncanny just how similar the landscape is. I think Eliot reminded me a dozen time during the drive that “No, it’s not Wyoming…Its Freaking Africa!!!!” The trip down to Bennie’s farm gave Eliot and his wife, Cathy, a little taste of “not being in Kansas anymore” with seeing, herds of Blesbok, Ostrich, Red Hartebeest and a few Secretary Birds. It wasn’t too long and we finally arrived at Bennie’s and were greeted by Eban Erasmus (Carin’s nephew) and the lodge staff. Chalets were assigned, luggage delivered and glasses of cold juice distributed to toast, as Eliot put it, “Here’s to finally being in FREAKING AFRICA!!!”

Arrival day was spent unpacking and getting situated. Once that was done it was a great lunch and time spent driving the farm to get oriented and give Eliot and Cathy a dose of African wildlife. Later that afternoon we took the 7mag out to check zero. Two shots, 1 ½” high at 100yds, ¼” apart. We’re good to go!

great start , BB,keep the ball rolling ,mate....

................ we headed over to the TSA booth for inspection. Guess what. Nobody even asked me to open the gun case. The TSA lady wiped it down to test for explosives and said you’re good to go. I have learned, don’t try and apply logic….just go with it. ................

The best advice you can give anyone when dealing with those folks.

Enjoyed the start.(y)

Looking forward to more of your Freaking Africa report!:)

. Later that afternoon we took the 7mag out to check zero. Two shots, 1 ½” high at 100yds, ¼” apart. We’re good to go!

If I could do that intentionally I guess I would brag too.;)

Great start. Hope you have more time to type. Bruce

The trip continues....

DSC02266.JPG

The Bushman River Lodge and Bennie's home.

DSC02269.JPG

The view from our chalet's back porch. The Orange River in the background is the boundary of the Free State and the East Cape.

Bennie and I sat down that night after dinner to discuss the trophy list so we could plan out the week’s priorities. During the discussion, Bennie asked me if I had any desire to hunt a Red Letchwe because he had a concession that had some that were “world class”, as he put it. Didn’t take much to convince me. Once Sandy saw a picture of one he had previously taken off that concession, she gave the “green light”. Better yet, she said I need to hunt it! Love that woman! The list read, by priority:

1. Vaal Rhebok – With the physical exertion required for these awesome animals this was my main priority. I’ve hunted all over Colorado and Montana in the mountains, but that was years ago. Living at 250ft elevation and being 60 years old, this would be a test for me.

2. Common Duiker – This has become my “nemesis” animal. Not sure how that happened but it has. On previous safaris “what could go wrong, did” when I really tried to take a good one.

3. Steinbuck – Another animal that I had passed on while hunting other animals and I came to regret that decision!

4. Black Wildebeest – Always wanted one of these odd looking animals since seeing them in 2004. I never hunted again where I could take one.

5. Mountain Reedbuck – While hunting the Vaal, we would also try for one in the same area.

6. Red Letchwe – I have always like these antelope since first seeing them in 2004. While I was here, I decided to take advantage of Bennie’s offer!

7. This one was open for Sandy. She wasn’t sure exactly what she wanted to hunt or if she wanted to hunt at all so we left it open for now.
Tentative plan was to hunt at Bennie’s Sun and Monday for the Black Wildebeest, Steinbuck and Duiker. If we were not successful on the Duiker, he had a backup plan at a friend’s ranch. We would travel to a different concession for the Letchwe on Wed. Thursday was set aside for Vaal and Mountain Reedbuck at another concession about 1 ½ hours away. While I was out hunting, Sandy would either go along or stay to do things with Eliot and Cathy. They had game drives set up, a “spa day” and other activities to keep them entertained while we were at Bushman’s Lodge.

Hunting Day 1 (Sunday)

Coffee was set at 6:00am with a 6:45am departure. Today’s plan was to find three solitary Black Wildebeest bulls that we had seen the day before while we were learning the ranch. The plan was good, but the three solitary bulls had other plans. We found plenty of bulls, just not the three big ones we were looking for. In for some lunch and we would regroup. Eliot and Cathy were still fighting the “jet lag” issues so they decided to just hang around camp and relax. After a great lunch we relaxed a while then headed back out at 2:30pm. We looked on all of the normal places the three had been known to hang out but no dice. As a last resort we climbed up a mountain to check out an area that David (the tracker) said they might be hanging out. About a third of the way up, Sandy decided it was getting way too steep for her and decided to head back down to the truck with David helping her back down. Jacques and I continued on up to the top. You guess it, they were not there. By the time we made it back down it was getting pretty late so we called it a day and headed back to the lodge. Day one ended without anything in the salt. That was ok because I’m in “freaking Africa!”

Hunting Day 2 (Monday)

The night before Bennie was telling me that they had spotted a huge Steinbuck while following a wounded Blue Wildebeest a few weeks ago. The plan was to see if we could find him in the same area as they are very territorial. If we were successful, we would try and find the Black Wildebeest bulls again this afternoon. Sounded great to me. Later, around the fire, Eban gracefully, told Sandy that she might want to sleep in instead of going with us. The conversation led to the need for a pretty good climb to get up to where this Steinbuck lived. Sandy said she would just sleep in and spend the morning with Eliot and Cathy.

We arrived at the base of the mountain just as the eastern sky was beginning to lighten up. The climb up was nothing to Bennie, Jacques and David. Me? I’m a 60 year old Texan that lives pretty much at sea level. Three breaks on the way up to catch my breath and rest my burning legs and we finally reached the crest. A short ¼ mile walk on top and we reached a rock bench overlooking a grass covered mesa that the ram called home. We spent the morning glassing the area looking for a glimpse of him patrolling his area. We saw a few warthogs, a pretty good Waterbuck bull and a troop of baboons but not the ram we were looking for. About 11:00 we gave up and decided to head back to grab some lunch and plan the afternoon hunt.

At 2:30 me, Jacques, David and Sandy headed out to look for the three Black Wildebeest bulls again. We went to an area of the ranch that we didn’t check the previous day and sure enough, David spotted them close to a shallow ravine, bedded down. A stalked was planned and away we went. We took advantage of the ravine and it allowed us to get within 300yds of them. We all crawled the remaining 80yds or so, then we ran out of cover. Jacques and I whispered which of the bulls I was to take. Of course it would be the one still bedded down and not one of the others standing broadside! I slowing got into a sitting position and slid out to the side of the brush we were behind while extending the harris bipod. I settled in and waited for the bull to rise. It wasn’t too long and he obliged. There was one small piece of brush blocking his shoulder so I adjusted the bipod. Jacques whispered 220yds and as I was settling the crosshairs on his right front shoulder the shot went off. I knew I pulled it a little low and forward for the angle he was at. I heard the bullet impact and he went down only to get back up and half run, half stumble after the others as they left the country. I could tell the off shoulder was shattered, but the vitals were missed at the angle he was standing. The bull ran about 300yds toward the base of a mountain and disappeared from sight. Jacques and I took off with Sandy and David bringing up the rear. When we got to where we last saw him, we came upon some deep washouts. As we slowly approached them he stumbled up out of furthest one and stopped broadside. A quick shot to the vitals brought his suffering to an immediate end. He was a grand old bull that deserved a quick clean end to his life. For that I was sad that I did not provide it and I apologized during my moment alone with him.

DSC02283.JPG

Beautiful Gnu. thanks for the addition to the post, we ( I'm sure I'm speaking for most of the crew) look forward to more in the near future. Thanks for posting.

Mike

That is one nice black wildebeest.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VioletteFg

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!