AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Europe
Hunted
Norway, Sweden, England, South Africa
I was asked to write a report on my hunting trip in South Africa this year, but since I am not a good writer(usually becomes very boring), I will mostly just put in some pics:)

I went to hunt at Gers Safaris/Klein Papkuil and I really enjoyed my stay and hunt with them.
Very nice people and the accommodations and food excellent.

I was bit worried that I would be hunting half tame animals from seeing a few American made hunting videos from other places in SA, but luckily they were far from tame.
I brought my bow as I knew that it was possible to hunt with a bow at their place, but unfortunately didn't the agent inform Gers Safaris that I planned to hunt with a bow too, so nothing was prepared for that. I informed the agent that I was bringing my bow, but it was not passed on...
So I decided to hunt with my gun instead of pushing my luck stalking with a bow when I had only 5 hunting days.

I really enjoyed the stalking seeing lots of game but still difficult to get a shot at a decent animal, both because they were very alert and also because it was difficult to be undetected passing animals I didn't want to shoot.
The main difference I experienced between the animals at that place and the different kinds of deer I usually hunt is that the deer use their ears and react much more to sounds than the PGs, but the PGs used much more their eyes and reacted much more to things not looking right from very far.

I did many kilometers of stalking and much of it crawling every day on hard ground full of pebbles so it was hard on my knees:)
One day we crawled for 2 1/2-3 hours stalking a herd of impalas ending up in shooting my Kudu bull instead:p
I told my PH from the start that I didn't care about big trophies, I just wanted some memories from my hunting, so I don't know if any of the animals I shot are big at all, but I don't care:)

The Impala was the animal I thought would be the easiest to shoot, but it turned out to be the hardest to get:)

The last day the owner offered me to put up a pop-up blind and let me shoot him a Kudu cow for meat for free with my bow.
Of course I took his generous offer and I managed to shoot a young cow that only went 25-30 meters after my arrow passed through her before she fell over dead.

I really enjoyed it all and it gave me the Africa Fever for sure:D

063-2.jpg

052-1.jpg

042-2.jpg

025-2.jpg

005-1-3.jpg

090-2.jpg

Attachments

• 005-1-3.jpg
    005-1-3.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 126
  • 025-2.jpg
    025-2.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 147
  • 042-2.jpg
    042-2.jpg
    83.8 KB · Views: 134
  • 052-1.jpg
    052-1.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 161
  • 063-2.jpg
    063-2.jpg
    75.5 KB · Views: 136
  • 090-2.jpg
    090-2.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 145
I believe that one of our friends here on AH made a very true statement that Trophies are not in inches but in memories, and you have some fine trophies and memories. Congrats

Congratulations.
Well done, rolling with the punches and dealing with the surprise about your hunting method.

Awesome, Thanks for posting.
Not boring in the least and it does not matter if they are not world records. You had a good hunt and got some nice trophies and at least you got to draw your bow.
Are you still picking rock chips out of your knees?

Jealous of your Springbok.

Thank you for posting your hunt report and trophy pictures Norwegianwoods! Nice to hear that you enjoyed it all...

Congratulations 'Norwegianwoods'

Your Impala and Springbuck are excellent trophies.
The kudu is still a fairly young bull - but hey - with only five days one cannot really be choosey can one.
Great pictures!

Are you sure you do not have a (lost?) twin-brother here in Namibia?
You look almost exactly like someone i know down here.

Thanks all:)
Yes, I know the Kudu was rather young, but I really wanted one and I didn't see many bigger ones during my stay.
Most of the ones I saw during my stay were about the same age or younger.
There were lots of Kudus there, but I guess the older ones were to smart for me:)

I saw one very mature bull, but the gray ghost vanished in the thick bush never to be seen again during my stay:(

But now as I have got a Kudu bull already, I am going to be much more picky before I shoot another one.

I am quit sure I don't have a twin brother somewhere, but I can not guarantee that I don't have some brothers and sisters around the world that I don't know about:p

Thanks all:)

I am quit sure I don't have a twin brother somewhere, but I can not guarantee that I don't have some brothers and sisters around the world that I don't know about:p

That crossed my mind, but luckily you said it :wink2:
Better ask your old man (if still around) whether any trips in his hayday perhaps brought him through Namibia...:devious:

Go well mate:thumb:

Congratulations on some great trophies. An as a wise man once said it does not matter the size of your African tropies because they will be the largest on your street!

Congrats, Norwegianwoods. I visited Gers Safaris in May and after spending five days in the field hunting a total of seven beautiful antilopes from four different species can definitely confirm your positive comments about the safari, the people behind it and the accommodation. After spending quite a huge amount on worthless roe and boar hunts in Denmark and Sweden I finally got action worth every Rand. My hunting experience was multiplied both from stalking there and spending time with owner Julius Gers, who is eager to teach and instruct, if you're interested in that.

/Blackjack

Great report thank you for sharing.

you have some great trophies there my friend, you can be proud of yourself, esp of the fact that you did it in an ethical fair chase scenario, your bullet placement is spot on very well done!!! Glad you had such a good time in our beautiful country.

Very nice trophy's Norwegianwoods. You can be proud of all of them. The memories will live forever.

looks like you had a great hunt and congrats

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
YvonnePaws

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg