Deals & offers
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
sci, dsc,
Hunted
US, South America, New Zealand, Africa, Canada, Spain, Turkey, Alaska, Mexico
Returning from Africa with some great stories and a Lion down but almost a tracker and I down…

In brief, Lion was a wild lion taken from game reserve due to bad attitude i.e. fighting other lions, charging vehicles, and killing to many animals…2 PHs, one with over 250 lion hunts, one with 10 Lion hunts and extensive Big 5 experience, tracker many years experience tracking lions…Camera man was not allowed to come out on this hunt…only the four of us…took 1 hr to pick up definite fresh track, first stalk 200 yards and he bumped out with no warning…went 70 yards and circled back behind us and lay in heavy brush…Not normal! All three just in front of me walked past lion at 10 yards…I spotted him, started to get gun up and safety off when he made a direct charge at me with no warning. I got one shot in his upper chest, followed by 2 shots from PHs.. Within 1 second, the Lion was At 2 yards on full charge, I dove left and he turned…his tail slapped me across the chest as I was falling and knocked me for a loop. I though I had been shot…he turned on tracker and chased, closing 8-10 yards in a second while eating 1 more shot from my PH, he literally came within inches of getting tracker from behind then turned to charge direct at me again... 3 more shots from PHs and two from me to stop him…Very horrifying, yet amazing!! Outfitter was in vehicle 1/8 mile away and heard 3 shots…thought it was done…however, when he heard the next 5 with pauses between them all he said he went completely numb and just knew things had gone wrong and that someone was dead or injured…In the debrief, we learned this was the first time a lion charged with no warning from such close range and got within a yard of a hunter or tracker in over 200 hunts…Clearly the Lion hunted us with his 180 degree turn to get in behind us…His actions of the circle back and charged with no warning are very rare…they normally bump straight out…Shit was just plain crazy and everything went to hell in a split second…This all took place in less than 6 seconds...The tracker and I are extremely lucky! He was given the day off to return to his family after being very shook up. Truly a once in a lifetime hunt that will remain in all four of our minds forever!! Going to buy a 500 double riffle :)

Very Respectfully,
Michael and Sandi Webb

Wow! Poopy pants all around I'd guess.

Jeez, that'll get your heart pumping... or stop it!
Glad you got out of it safe and sound.
Its amazing how close you can get to these kitties and not see them, especially when they dont want to be seen.
The 500 double sounds like a good idea ;)

Michael, you sure got a nasty one !

Glad everything turned out well, and you had an experience to remember for the rest of your life.

Whoah, that is a hunt you will not forget, couldn't agree more with the new rifle purchase!

What gun were you using? And where were the shots hitting? Sounds like an exciting hunt and some memories you won't forget soon.

I would say you had your excitement for the week!:barefoot: Glad everyone is OK. Would love to know rifle and bullet details as well as where the bullets were hitting the lion. Bruce

I would love to hear more info as well. One question that I am assuming the answer too. Do farts have lumps? I'll bet you damn near filled your pants!

Bravo for sticking it out and not trying to run for the hills.

:eek:I am going out to practice with my rifle some more....absolutely terrifying/exciting for sure. A real credit to your skill and an experience worthy of Jim Corbett. I think he often used a 450/400. What were you folks using? That was one tough kitty.

Congratulations on having sharp eyes. Without looking sideways you might have had a different outcome.

Adrenaline pumped up for sure.
Glad everyone is ok.

When you get some pictures, please share them.

Incredible, I'm glad you all made it out okay! That lion must have been pumped up to take that many hits and keep charging!

Eric

Thats one exciting hunt,micheal
Bet it seemed slo motion and you can recall every vivid detail
When they lay flat and still in that kalahari enviorament they simply vanish
Until youre on top of them
Cool report,thanks for sharing

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MattieHayw

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Jackal hunt on triggercam,

Jackal hunt on triggercam,