Africa
Australia/NZ
Member of
SCI International, SCI Kansas City Chapter
Hunted
RSA, Limpopo region,NorthWest Province, VaalWater and Free State New Zealand
2016 SA hunting report with Ditholo Safaris

Day 1 Saturday May 14 Limpopo region

I awoke to a cool morning with a bright orange sun shining through the African trees, the sun glistening on the dew of the grass. After a quick breakfast we were out the door. My PH (Ian) has a partner in a Kudu breeder bull that they had purchased last year. Our first order of the day was to dart the bull and measure his horns. He was to get vaccines and vitamin shots as well. Upon arriving to the property and meeting his partner we were off to find the Kudu. A small motorcycle worked wonders for this. The vet was able to get close enough to get a dart into him and the wait was on. After a short chase and no signs of really slowing down, the vet was able to get another dart into him and we were then able to get hold of the bull and bring him down. The mask went on, the shots were given and the horns were measured. After a disappointing taping, the final measurements were 58 ½ inches and 58 inches. They were hoping for 60 inch. Maybe in another year, as the horns have grown 2 ½ inches in the last year. After a quick antidote shot in the ear, the bull was up and on his way, no worse for the wear. A pretty cool experience.
After a short drive, we arrived at the ranch to hunt the Nyala that was on my extensive list for the year. My goal for the day was to take the Nyala with my Mathews Switchback bow. As we drove around the very hilly and thick brushed property I knew I was in for a challenging hunt. The property was over 30,000 acres with multiple streams and valleys running through the beautiful landscape, with steep hills and small mountains. The morning was spent riding and spotting animals. After a very busy morning of seeing many animals, we were having no luck in finding any of the 40-45 Nyala on the property (although I was assured they were there). Plenty of Impala, Waterbucks, Sable, Giraffe, Wildebeests, Kudu and more, but no Nyala.
After a delicious lunch of Springbok kabobs and Wildebeest sausage on the grill, we were back out. The afternoon was to be spent at the watering hole and feeding trough. At 30-40 yards, the shot was well with-in my comfort zone. After about an hour wait, here come 3 bulls and cow. The first Nyala I had seen on the property They approached the watering hole with caution. The big bull stayed back watching the others. I nocked a Carbon Express Maxima Blue Streak arrow equipped with a 125 grain Thunderhead 3 fixed-blade broadhead. As the first 3 started to get comfortable, the big bull started to come in. The cow had came into the closer of the 2 troughs and had become alarmed. The wind had been in our favor, but a sudden swirl brought our scent right to the animals. They alerted and before the bigger bull had come in, the cow lead them away in a hurry. The group headed into the edge of the woods and crossed the creek onto another part of the property. As darkness was setting in, the decision was made to go after that bull. There was not much time to wait for more to come into the watering hole.I replaced the arrow in the quiver, we loaded up in the bakkie (pickup) and headed to the other side of the creek. We went to the far side of the pasture to put distance between us and the woods that we expected they would be coming out of. At 260 yards we spotted the bull in the edge of the timber. I knew the bow was not going to work this evening. I chambered a round into the 300 WIN Mag equipped with a suppressor, and crept along the woods on the opposite side of the field from the bull. I closed the distance to 220 yards. The shooting sticks went up and I locked the Swarovski scope on the shoulder and gently squeezed the trigger, the shot rang out. The sound of the bullet hitting the hide was unmistakable. Upon reaching the area we had last seen the bull entering the timber, we spotted him on the other side of the creek. He
IMG_1694.JPG
almost immediately fell into the creek. High fives and hand shakes it was. The spotters stood there on the edge of the timber as Ian and I went back to the bakkie and went back to the other side of creek and woods to retrieve the dead animal. Upon reaching the site, the spotters and Ian were speaking in Afrikan. By this time, the light had faded and I was in the dark. My PH asked me where I thought I had hit the Nyala. I said I thought it was a pretty good shot. He then told me that the spotters told him the animal was only wounded and had taken off down the creek and was now (as he put it) a long ways down there. He told me to get my rifle, and asked me if I had put another round in. I told him “no” as I was loading up again thinking I just wounded an animal. They all started laughing when they saw me starting to get excited. My Nyala was still in the creek. After hooking up a winch and retrieving it from the depths of the creek, pictures were taken and an exciting day of hunting was concluded. The ivory tips and thick bases were just what I was looking for in a trophy Nyala. Ian thinks he is funny.

Nothing like having your leg tugged!
That is a nice trophy.

A very nice trophy ... and a story to remember.

Nice experience and trophy. Well done! Sounds like you were only a few minutes away from getting a crack at him with the pointed stick.

Great hunt and nice bull to bring home! Congrats!

He's a beauty, I love the tips and the heavy ridges.

Congrats on your Nyala - a great trophy! I'll be hunting Nyala in less than a month.

Looking forward to hearing about Day 2!

great nyala bull.

Very nice ivory tips. Congrats. Bruce

Beautiful nyala!

Great bull and story. I look forward tothe next installment.
Mike

Super nice nayala, congrats.

congrats, nice bull!

Nice experience and trophy. Well done! Sounds like you were only a few minutes away from getting a crack at him with the pointed stick.
Thank you, it was fun, I was nocked and ready........damn wind LOL

He's a beauty, I love the tips and the heavy ridges.
Thank you Frank, I knew he was nice when I saw him at 45 yards before dark. I was not sure until he was down that it was the same one I saw by the watering hole. The ridges are nice and thick..........

Last edited:
Thanks for all the nice comments guys. Not he biggest bull, but I am happy with my trophy. I enjoy sharing the hunt with you all, as I enjoy your stories as well. I am currently working on days 2 Blue wildebeest. Good luck on your hunt Rinehart. Remember to report on it......

Not a big Nyala. I'd hate to see what a real big one looks like. I think it is a fine trophy. Congrats!

Looks big to me as well. Would have guessed 27-28"?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mcdowall

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!