SOUTH AFRICA: Final Installment With Gizmo Family Safari

Erik you're going to need more pens!

Thanks enyesse! I'm still on cloud nine. It's at the taxidermist in the eastern cape. That is the only animal to been taxidermied in Africa from my trip as it was the most cost effective way to do it, the rest of the trophies were on the dock ready to be shipped by the time he was in the salt. The rest are being done by Denis and I have finally decided on a pose for my lion. I gave Denis a picture as inspiration and told him to have at it! It will be amazing to see what he comes up with. The buff will be a shoulder mount full sneak with a slight 1/8 turn. Back hide tanned, feet into book ends, and scrotum into a pen holder.
Who's doing the buff ?

I thought the buff was being done in Africa?

Congrats Gizmo!!! Great post, again, and love the pics! I am now supposed to go 1st week of December for mine. Just on a side note, what was the final verdict on the bullets? I see they passed through, but do you have the same opinion as before now that you have seen your shot wounds? Just looking for final word from your experience. Thank you!

Congrats Gizmo!!! Great post, again, and love the pics! I am now supposed to go 1st week of December for mine. Just on a side note, what was the final verdict on the bullets? I see they passed through, but do you have the same opinion as before now that you have seen your shot wounds? Just looking for final word from your experience. Thank you!
Hey good deal and good luck, I know you'll get a monster!!!!
Bullets, yes Hornady DGX and DGS are not suitable for DG in my opinion. By the exit wound it appeared that DGX fragmented too. That being said..... The buff was my fault as despite what the video looked like the shot was not good and too far right for the way he was quartering. Whether the bullet did or didn't fragment on the buff it still doesn't make up for the sorry performance on the lion. @ActionBob has seen and held the bullets recovered from my lion. I think he will agree with me in saying the bullets performance was pathetic for a thin skinned animal. It's just not worth it. That's just my opinion. I love Hornady and they make great bullets, just not these. Some have had good luck with them, Caustin killed an elephant with DGS's from my understanding. Many have not been so lucky myself included. If I had it to do over again I'd had some rounds loaded up with swift a frames.

@ActionBob has seen and held the bullets recovered from my lion.
That was pieces of scrap that looked nothing like recovered modern day bullets should look like. As Erik said, especially from a thin skinned critter like a lion.

I understand why Erik and Charlie and others use the bullets in the 375 and 416 Ruger, and in some doubles and perhaps even harder to find calibers like the 404 Jeffrey. They use them because it is what is available in factory loads in those calibers. And pretty regularly/easily available. I have a 375 Ruger but I would honestly opt for the 250 grain GMX bullet if I used it on DG and had to use Hornady ammo. In fact it is my intention to hunt brown bears with that gun and load. But I do not see myself taking it to Africa unless for a family member to use who is smaller and wants to use it with the stock spacers out.

I do not understand why there is any real debate on bullets in the more standard calibers, A-Frames, Trophy bonded Bear Claws, Barnes TSX are all so well proven in the more standard calibers and are mostly available. Why would one not use them? As for solids, same thing, Woodleigh Hydro Solids, Sledgehammers, Barnes banded solids, etc. And as Erik points out, the 375 and 416 Ruger can certainly be handloaded with better bullets.

Having said this all, I also shoot a lot of Hornady ammo. On PG I've had great success with it. I find they offer very flat shooting loads in the interbond and GMX loads and I used some SST's in TX on Erik's sheep with good results.

I do not understand why there is any real debate on bullets in the more standard calibers, A-Frames, Trophy bonded Bear Claws, Barnes TSX are all so well proven in the more standard calibers and are mostly available. Why would one not use them? As for solids, same thing, Woodleigh Hydro Solids, Sledgehammers, Barnes banded solids, etc. And as Erik points out, the 375 and 416 Ruger can certainly be handloaded with better bullets.

You nailed it Bob!

And I've just become a big believer in the premium bullets regardless, because you just never know. On my kudu the first shot would have killed him, but I got a second shot in as a Texas heart shot with my .30/06 at 160 yards. It went in the righyear ham and stopped under the skin in front of the left shoulder. That's a lot of penetration.... would a non premium bullet have done that? I don't know...

You nailed it Bob!

And I've just become a big believer in the premium bullets regardless, because you just never know. On my kudu the first shot would have killed him, but I got a second shot in as a Texas heart shot with my .30/06 at 160 yards. It went in the righyear ham and stopped under the skin in front of the left shoulder. That's a lot of penetration.... would a non premium bullet have done that? I don't know...
Last night I loaded 20 rounds of Cutting Edge 470r. Raptors for my up coming Buff hunt. Decided on them after Gizmo's first post about his tough buff. I was just curious if the bullets were recovered and what the final verdict was. I am planning on taking the Raptors and 500r. Hornady DGS rounds I loaded up over with me for this first hunt. I will of course post as many pics of the damage done as I can. I have to be honest though, I hope the only thing recovered for photos is the Buff with a clean and devastating pass through of the Raptors! Glad ya got him in the salt Gizmo!

Last night I loaded 20 rounds of Cutting Edge 470r. Raptors for my up coming Buff hunt. Decided on them after Gizmo's first post about his tough buff. I was just curious if the bullets were recovered and what the final verdict was. I am planning on taking the Raptors and 500r. Hornady DGS rounds I loaded up over with me for this first hunt. I will of course post as many pics of the damage done as I can. I have to be honest though, I hope the only thing recovered for photos is the Buff with a clean and devastating pass through of the Raptors! Glad ya got him in the salt Gizmo!
Thanks buddy and good luck!!!!!

Don't you have a Lott? Will be curious to see what you think.

Don't you have a Lott? Will be curious to see what you think.
No, a .458 Win Mag. Loaded 470gr. Raptors with 71 grs. of Varget. I will be just as excited as ya'll, but with a good case of the nerves to add to the mix, Lol! Not as much over the ammo, but seeing a big Cape Buffalo in MY scope for the first time! I can hardly wait.....

seeing a big Cape Buffalo in MY scope for the first time! I can hardly wait.....

Just hope you can see him! I shot at a gray spot in the bush. :A Smoke:

No, a .458 Win Mag. Loaded 470gr. Raptors with 71 grs. of Varget. I will be just as excited as ya'll, but with a good case of the nerves to add to the mix, Lol! Not as much over the ammo, but seeing a big Cape Buffalo in MY scope for the first time! I can hardly wait.....
Bro your going to do great! Have fun and enjoy every second. It's over way to fast.

Bro your going to do great! Have fun and enjoy every second. It's over way to fast.
Will do! I'll tell ya all about it when we get back.

Will do! I'll tell ya all about it when we get back.
Awesome, if I remember correctly your not too far down the road from me. When you get back maybe we can swap stories over some cold beer!

Awesome, if I remember correctly your not too far down the road from me. When you get back maybe we can swap stories over some cold beer!
Your on!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
odoodevelopers

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross