SOUTH AFRICA: BOWHUNT: Umkhanyakhude Game Farm Mkuze, KZN, South Africa - Nyala Hunt

INGOZI

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Deals & offers
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
ABO, SCI, SABA
Hunted
South Africa, Zimbabwe, Namibia, Zambia, United States
I've just returned from my first hunt of the year, had somewhat of a late start this year as my little boy was born in early April. Being my favourite animal I had been hoping to hunt a mature Nyala bull again and in my opinion there is but one destination in South Africa for top class trophy Nyala, and that is Kwazulu Natal, or more precisely, the Hluhluwe and Mkuze area. A quick look at the record books proves this as most all the very biggest bulls come from this area, I am also pretty sure that any other big Nyala taken in other areas of South Africa come directly from this area thanks to game traders and wildlife auctions that has really taken off in recent years.

I had booked a hunt with Dr. Mark Sutherland in Mkuze; his property Bronte Game Farm / Umkhanyakhude is situated about 30 minutes drive from the town of Mkuze. One of the first things that stood out was the fact that his camp was a very basic, yet very comfortable tented camp, with a cluster of large canvas tents on wooden stands, there is no electricity yet one has the luxury of borehole fed water and a warm shower. I found this especially nice as although the vast majority of hunting camps these days have a star rating of sorts, very few hunting operations, in South Africa especially still cater toward hunters wanting to 途ough it for a lack of a better term. I found it refreshing as it reminded of the hunting camps we used when I was but a young boy. Another concept that goes hand in hand with Dr. Sutherland's rustic camp is the fact that he insists that absolutely all hunting, irrespective of the client's nationality or preference in weapon, is done on foot. One starts out the day by walking from camp in the early morning and returns at dusk, only the recovery of the animal is done by vehicle. Hunting the way it was meant to be, on foot and by fair chase, I sincerely hope that it stays this way as Umkhanyakhude rates very high on my list of favourite hunting destinations.

I had booked a week long hunt and had spent three days of hard hunting, walking from dawn to dusk, in the hopes of arrowing a Nyala bull, I had set the bar rather high as I was only looking for a very old, past mature Nyala bull, I wasn't concerned about what the bull measured only wishing to take a bull with loads of character. There was certainly no shortage of Nyala, I had looked over 42 adult Nyala bulls of between 24 and 26 and passing on four larger than 27 in the three days as they were still young bulls and would be fantastic trophies in the years to come. I finally found the exact bull I was looking for on the third day, spotting what looked like a big bodied old bull filtering through some trees in a particular thick stretch of bush with a handful of females, at first I could only make out his body and the bottom half of his horns, but this was enough for me to know he was the one, a thick scarred neck, thick bases with a very good 都tep and his swagger proved his status as an old boy. Leaving my tracker behind I quickly moved ahead to try and intercept the group, setting up in a slightly more open area, a short while later I saw the Nyala reappear with the bull second to last, the first decent gap the females walked through was exactly 38 yards, I nocked and arrow, clipped my Scott release on and waited for the big bull to make his way through, when he did he must have noticed me drawing back my bow as he lowered his head to stare at me underneath some branches overhead, it was too late however as a mere second later the 540gr arrow with its razor sharp Muzzy hit him on the point of the near shoulder as he stood quartering toward me, exiting just ahead of his far leg, punching a hole centrally through the heart. The old warrior only made it 80 or so yards before going down. He was magnificent, thick horns with a huge bell together with a worn and scarred coat was all I had hoped for, I wasn't really interested in what the tape said as he was perfect in my opinion, but after being caped we measured the longest horn at 29 3/8 which was simply the cherry on top.

Dr. Mark Sutherland's contact details are as follows:
Phone: 083 643 2861
Email: scholar1@mweb.co.za
Po Box: 596
Hluhluwe

A few photos of the hunting camp:

Attachments

• 048.JPG
    048.JPG
    496.8 KB · Views: 351
  • 036.JPG
    036.JPG
    414.3 KB · Views: 317
  • 041.JPG
    041.JPG
    316 KB · Views: 307
  • 039.JPG
    039.JPG
    523.6 KB · Views: 363
  • 046.JPG
    046.JPG
    626.9 KB · Views: 314
A few of the Nyala I saw and decided to pass:

Attachments

• 023.JPG
    023.JPG
    312.7 KB · Views: 361
  • 065.JPG
    065.JPG
    472.8 KB · Views: 319
  • 074.JPG
    074.JPG
    425.8 KB · Views: 317
My bull:

Attachments

• 083.JPG
    083.JPG
    651 KB · Views: 379
  • 118.JPG
    118.JPG
    540.8 KB · Views: 373
Wow.. Thats a nice nyala!
A nyala with my bow are high on my wish list.

Engee,

That is an excellent trophy. Congratulations.
Preparation and hard work win the day.

Thanks for the report.
I just want to sneak along in that bush. I Love that countryside!

Thank you so very much guys! Sincerely appreciate all your kind words! The typical cat-and-mouse hunting one does for Nyala in this part of the world is a great delight. I absolutely love hunting Nyala.

Nice story, animal, and hunt. I really like them with the tips close together. Took me 6 years to get one that I had seen like this, also in the Mkuze area.

This is truely a trophy to desire.

I too will be hunting Nyala in Kwazulu Natal, home of the big boys this August looking for an old warrior.

Thanks for the hunting report! Sounded like a dream hunt to me. Someday I would like to do the same thing. And that is a fantastic trophy!!!

Congratulations for your Nyala, and thanks for the hunting report !

Nice report and hunt with a trophy to boot...well done

Thank you so much guys! Much appreciated Nyati & JamesGrange.

@ saeng101: Yes they sure are pretty, I saw one that was even more close together, tips must have been but an inch apart and the horns were tight from the bases, although probably a solid 28" I passed as he was still a relatively young bull and would be a superb trophy in the years to come.

@ RogerHeintzman: This area sure is THE best for big Nyala, I am sure that with some work you will definitely get a big old boy.

@ Enyesse: Thanks so much sir! You absolutely MUST put this on your bucket list!

Congrats on a fine looking Nyala! I love that ruffing it style hunt. Leave on foot in the a.m. returns on foot in the p.m... good stuff thanks!

Wow what a way to go, Great Trophy and with a bow to boot Great Job thanks for sharing.

@ RickB: Absolutely! It is such an enriching experience, the hunting is hard yes, but it is so rewarding!

@ Bobpuckett: Thanks so much sir! It is often hard as hell to hunt solely on foot and with bow only, but it is an incredible experience when all the pieces fall into place and one places a perfect arrow. Any animal taken like that is a trophy IMHO.

Very nice bull, congrats.

Great pics IGOZI. Congratulations. Sounds like a great experience.

Thanks so much Spies & Stretch!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoanRigby4

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you