SOUTH AFRICA: BOWHUNT: South Africa Disappointment With Steyn Safaris

Ben, sorry to hear about your bad experience. Don't let this bad experience mark Africa out of your dream for ever; give Africa another chance! There are great outfitters out there, that will make your next trip memorable. Good luck.

I wouldn't piss on Abie Steyn if he was on fire.

I got lucky he was only the first part of a trip. What a similar cluster f@#$ and mine was in 2006! I thought he cleaned up his act as I had seen subsequent better reports.

Un organised goat rope is how I would term the first days. When I started calling other outfitters to come pick me up, things improved. By I only paid a small deposit on day rates, so I had some leverage. Sent a new PH and we did OK....not as hoped....but OK.

I went on to do some sight seeing and fishing, so for me it was just a part and all that went off great. So it did temper the dissapointing part of the trip.

But the upside.....

Go back......I did with new resolve and a better set of research (when I did my first trip I didn't even have a computer. LOL).

Most are NOT like Abie....really.

There are good folk with good ethics and can get what you want as an experience........food, style of hunting, professionalism, etc.

I always hate reading about bad hunting experiences. Better luck on your next hunt, a lot of great outfitters right here on AH.

Sorry ben once again, I have to admit that I just finished a safari with a wonderfull individual Jim Shea and his wife Linda, the only reason they booked with me was because he had purchased a Steyn SCI donation that fell on it's face.

Now I know Charl very well and have known him for well over a decade but this is wrong and going through your post, I connected the dots.....

I will give Charl a call myself and see what I can get done for you...

Feel free to pm me should you need my assistance.

Once again I am so terribly sorry for your disappointing experience.

My best always.

Jaco that is good of you trying to help a fellow hunter out, goes to show the good nature of the members of this site.

Ben I'm really sorry to hear such bad news but please don't give up yet. There are a lot of good outfitters in Africa and you may want to start with the ones that support this forum you will find nothing bad on them they do their best to do the best by you, don't quit give the good guys a try. Bob

All I can say is I better not see Steyn giving donations at SCI.

Whether it's Out of Africa, Steyn, Arnold Payne...etc.....clean you acts up or get out of the business. I hope SCI and DSC block them out. There are too many good guys that don't need to be related or associated them at all.

After enough time goes by you will miss whatever positives you bought back from Africa with you, and will want to try again. You really need to get a good one to offset the bad one. Next time will be better no question. Good luck!

Absolutely terrible! A waste of time and money. However, you should not let a single bad experience deter you from going back to such a majestic place. There are great outfitters out there. Good luck on future hunts my friend.

Ben,

I cannot believe you had such a bad experience with Steyn Safaris. I have been there and done that and must say it was just the opposite of everything that you have stated. In fact we had the time of our life and cant wait to go back again. It was truly the best hunt I have ever done in my life. Abie and his crew went above and beyond to see that we were extremely taken care of and were there for us to satisfy all our needs. I have hunted all over the world and I am here to say that Abie Steyn is one of the best there is. I went with a group of 6 and we all had a great time. We went in June of 2011 and Abie had just finished his new Lodge that was 5 star in my book. I am a bow hunter and Sompie was my PH. He was very professional and we had a great time. I'm sorry to hear you had a bad experience with them. In my opinion the are great.

Mike M. Montana

Is there more than one Steyn outfit ? I heard some shocking things about a company offering small predator hunts in RSA. To be avoided at all costs.

Abie and Charl has split I would contact Charl he is a great guy my offer still stands though, Charl, Gideon and their brother Gerard run their own company now...... sure they would be more than willing to help...

My best always

@ Mike M

Part of the problem was A) Abie never once spoke to or visited us, and B) Although we were told we would be staying at his new 5 star lodge, we were taken 4 hours away to a two star place. I'm almost a year out, and my feelings have not changed. No one has any idea where our trophies are, and my friends have given up on ever seeing them again.

I also heard from my PH that Steyn never paid the subcontractor for our animals, and they are all in litigation now.

Sampie is a nice guy.

Ben

Ben,

Terrible to hear! Glad to know who the bad ones are out there, but gee what a raw deal you all got.

My PH & Outfitter is brilliant - on your first one though it can be a bit of luck whether they are good or bad...

As many have said, don't give up because of some bad apples - when you strike a good one, its pure gold.

Ado

Abie and Charl has split I would contact Charl he is a great guy my offer still stands though, Charl, Gideon and their brother Gerard run their own company now...... sure they would be more than willing to help...

My best always

Yes,

Abie is a dear friend the Watts. They both speak very highly of each other.

Mike M

Ben,

Be patient and hang in there on getting your trophies. I had a large quantity and it took almost 2 years to get all 38 of them back to the states. The Baboons and Warthogs can slow up the process with the import agency's. The good thing is that my Horns and hides are in excellent shape. Quality takes time.

I'm trying to help you out hear, but you seem to be dwelling on bashing Steyn.
"You heard from your PH"?????? I don't believe everything I hear on the internet and I certainly don't believe all this nonsense that you are saying about Abie. He is a very well respected man in the industry and all you seem to do here is trash talk him. I have sent many others to him and all they could say was WOW what an awesome trip. When they come back to the States they feel like they are Family with Steyn.
Have you ever thought that maybe it's you?
I have been in the service industry for over 30 years and I can tell you that I will never be able to please everyone. Some people are just not please-able and I know that Steyn Safaris is Very good at what they do.

Ben,

Be patient and hang in there on getting your trophies. I had a large quantity and it took almost 2 years to get all 38 of them back to the states. The Baboons and Warthogs can slow up the process with the import agency's. The good thing is that my Horns and hides are in excellent shape. Quality takes time.

I'm trying to help you out hear, but you seem to be dwelling on bashing Steyn.
"You heard from your PH"?????? I don't believe everything I hear on the internet and I certainly don't believe all this nonsense that you are saying about Abie. He is a very well respected man in the industry and all you seem to do here is trash talk him. I have sent many others to him and all they could say was WOW what an awesome trip. When they come back to the States they feel like they are Family with Steyn.
Have you ever thought that maybe it's you?
I have been in the service industry for over 30 years and I can tell you that I will never be able to please everyone. Some people are just not please-able and I know that Steyn Safaris is Very good at what they do.

:shiner: :hmmmer::cupcoffee::popcorn::icecream:

Having employed the services of various outfitters in North America and recently returned from my first African hunt, I can testify that unscrupulous outfitters operate everywhere not just in Africa.

I had one guide in Colorado pull me off a big bull elk I had just called down the canyon because it was getting late, whereupon he sent me on a wild goose chase the next morning and took 3 other hunters to the exact spot the next morning and killed the bull. Two days later the same guide and I, in an effort to "make things right", hoofed it up 2000 feet get a chance at another bull we spotted, informed me he had not brought any water or a flashlight, drank half of mine and abandoned me half-way down the mountain in the dark because he wanted crash through the blowdown at the incredibly thick bottom of the canyon rather than skirt it. I spent the night, and when I arrived at my vehicle I discovered he had drank the rest of the water in the truck and couldn't return my pet pair of 10x40 Zeiss binocs he borrowed because he "lost" them. Outfitter refused to do anything even after the DOW complaint was filed and he was officially admonished, the guide stripped of his credentials. It was all my fault you see, for daring to file a complaint against his highness and posting these exploits online.

Another Canadian outfitter once hijacked me at the Calgary airport for more money, since the "other hunter", his recruit not mine, failed to show. I discovered what you did, that although he was the "biggest outfitter in Alberta", he simply acted as a liaison between hunters and the fellows that actually offered the hunts. I was the only hunter that even saw a bull on that hunt, but I managed to cow-call it in and kill it after the "guide" was actually scaring it away with his bugle. Got lucky.

Point is that I would be loathe to abandon Africa hunting altogether because you were stung, but I do identify as I have never returned to Alberta after that debacle, have not hired another outfitter Colorado either.

For what it is worth, if you are still on this forum, I just hunted with Jacques Senekal of African Maximum Safaris in NW SA. I found he runs a very upstanding and professional operation with an abundance of game, every single animal I harvested made the SCI book with literally half of them Gold Medal. Never had a better hunt in my life, and I'm going to Zim with him in September. I'm sure many of the regulars here, being a new person to AH myself, are also cut from the same cloth.

:agree: Very nicely said.

I'm not bashing Steyn. I've never even met the guy. He never even visited our camp.

I didn't hear on the internet about the litigation. . . I spoke to my PH on the phone. Recall, my PH was a nice guy, and agreed with me that this hunt was a mess. I don't believe "it was me," as Mike Mikelson suggests, because before I left my PH offered to have me back, free of charge, for as long as I wish.

The problem I have is that the experience has ruined Africa for me. I am nearly a year back, and I have absolutely no desire to return.

As for the trophies, all I am waiting for is a steenbok flatskin and skull and a warthog flatskin and skull. I will wait however long it takes, but I don't understand why I can't get a return e-mail. I sent one on February 18, and again on April 9, and no one will reply. Just to prove I'm not an a-hole, those e-mails state:

"XXXX

Thank you for touching base with me. Could you put together an estimate for me so I know how much the taxidermy plus shipping might cost? I just want to be able to fit it into my budget as the time for payment approaches. Thank you!

Best

Ben"

&

"Hi XXXXX

I just thought I would check in to see how the skulls and flatskins are coming. If you know the cost yet, please let me know. Thank you!

Ben"

No reply to either one.

My hunting partners are waiting for two kudu, two gemsbok, a zebra, and two impala. The animals were not sent to the taxidermist that they requested, and the one who took them has been out of contact with them since January.

I don't even remember how this topic got brought back up. I saw an e-mail saying that someone replied, so I hopped back in. This really has been the most disappointing experience of my entire life, and it saddens me every time I check back in. This website was the most exciting thing in the world to me prior to my trip. Now I visit it and my blood pressure spikes. It is a true shame.

Ben

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VenusPined

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Coltwoody@me.com
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross