AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
RMEF, DU, SCI, NRA
My brother and I recently returned from our first ever trip to Africa and it certainly won't be my last. We hunted with Henk Brink of Kido Safaris in KwaZulu-Natal and the entire experience exceeded my expectations. The staff and facilities were all top-notch. Getting there was a bit tedious, from home to hunt was roughly 11,000 miles and 44 hours. Those 44 hours did include a short over-night stay in Johannesburg, which I think was good to help make the 10 hour time change adjustment, plus I had an excellent steak that evening which was a welcome change from 'airplane food.' The next morning we had a short plane ride to Richards Bay where we were met by Henk and thankfully our rifles and luggage too. After a two hour drive we arrived at Kido Safaris in the Zululand Rhino Reserve, the rest of the first day was spent checking rifles and then just getting to know the area and seeing some of Africa's amazing wildlife.
Impala.jpg
Cape Buffalo.jpg
Zebras.jpg
LiveNyala.jpg
Pongola.jpg

I knew the weather during this safari would be hot, but hey, I'm a farmer and I'm used to working in the hot summer sun. After hunting hard on a sunny day that reached 104 degrees I decided this farmer spends more time than he thought in a nice air conditioned John Deere back home on hot summer days. On the second full day of hunting, I got a shot at my first ever African animal and thought it was very fitting that it was a kudu. After committing to this hunt I made a life-size kudu target to practice on at home and then a kudu was the first thing I put crosshairs on in Africa. The first animal for my brother was also a kudu. The first few days were very hot, but productive.
My Kudu.jpg
Rob's Kudu.jpg
Rob's Impala.jpg
Common Reedbuck.jpg
Zebra.jpg
IMG_8350.JPG
My Impala.jpg

It was surreal to be hunting these animals I had only seen pictures of and read about, now it was actually happening. We also had to be aware of where other animals, like elephants and rhinos, were at to avoid any unwanted run-ins. The trackers, Elias and James, were unbelievable in their ability to spot game. One day as Elias seemed to be concentrating on the opposite side of the canyon, I spotted a group of impala and proudly blurted out "impalas!" In his unique cadence and accent Elias quietly said, "yes, 6 females." I quickly glanced back to 'my find' and sure enough, it was exactly 6 female impalas contently feeding away from us. I swear Elias had eyes in the front, back and sides of his head. Over the course of our trip we hunted in blistering heat, cool light rain, pounding heavy rains and loved every minute of it.
Elephant.jpg
White Rhino.jpg
Blue Wildebeest.jpg
My Giraffe2.jpg
Nyala.jpg
Springbok.jpg
Gemsbok.jpg
Black Wildebeest.jpg

On the last evening of our hunt the rain again began to fall and the warthog I had hoped to find on this hunt safely took cover from the rain and out of our sight. The last minute rain and no warthog wasn't the exact ending I was hoping for, but it was far from sad. My first safari, perhaps the most important of all safaris a person will go on, had been everything I had hoped for and even more. My brother and I each shot a kudu, a zebra, a nyala, a springbok, and two impalas. I also got a common reedbuck, a giraffe and a black wildebeest. My brother, Rob, also got a warthog, a blue wildebeest and a gemsbok. We would each be taking home 9 animals. So much for the budget!
Horns.jpg

Africa will cause sensory overload, the sights, sounds and smells all add to the experience. You experience so many emotions; the excitement of your first shot opportunity, the nervous anticipation of knowing you made a good shot, but still the kudu made it out of that small sight window you had. Was it a good shot??? Now, youæ± e doubting yourself. Absolute relief and joy when you find your first kudu not more than 30 yards from where you shot him, but out of sight from where you took the shot. Stomach-churning worry when you realize the shot you made on your blue wildebeest was too far back and darkness falls. Sorrow, when after a night of rain, you fail to find your wildebeest despite everyone looking for hours, painful heartache wondering what you did wrong. Joy and excitement return when you admire your first impala. Awe struck at the beauty of a nyala. The range of emotions experienced on an African safari are many and varied. By the end of the safari I was both exhausted and invigorated, and already planning how to get back there and hunt again. I can certainly say I hope to hunt with Kido Safaris again, and soon. Also, I can recommend them without any hesitation to anyone looking for a safari.
Kido Hat.jpg

Sorry for getting a little long winded in my account, but this trip was filled with countless memories. Thank you, to all those on this forum who helped answer the many questions I had as I prepared for this great hunt. In the short time I致e spent here on AfricaHunting.com I致e found there are several other outfitters and members I hope to get the chance to hunt with someday ?? I'm going to have to win the lottery or something, this Africa addiction appears to be insatiable. Now, the wait begins for that glorious day when the taxidermist calls and says, éheyæ± e ready. To anyone wondering about hunting Africa, wondering if it's worth it - GO!
Giraffes.jpg
IMG_8489-1.jpg
Waterbuck.jpg
IMG_5958-1.jpg

Attachments

• photo(1).jpg
    photo(1).jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 119
Last edited by a moderator:
congrats on a great time first time trip and hunt in africa. you can tell by your write up how much you enjoyed the whole experience of not just the hunting, but being in the bush and absorbing everything else as well .you both got some nice trophies there as well .

great report and looks like you two had alot of fun even in the heat and rain.some great pictures to that you shared.

Fantastic write-up, and not too long at all. I enjoyed every word and it makes me even more excited about August! I'm SO ready for my first Safari, on, and my second Safari, which i've already booked as well! LOL

I love your Kudu and in my perfect world I will take one very similar to that. Just a personal preference, but I like Kudu that have horns that go straight up and not out. It is the only animal i can think of that I don't care for a large "spread." I'd give up inches to have the horns just go up. Again, don't take that the wrong way. The second Kudu is wonderful and if I saw him first he would have had a very bad day! :)

Thank you for posting your hunt report and sharing with us your journey in Africa along with beautiful pictures! Please upload your pictures in the Photo Gallery as well.

Congratulations.

It is always great to read someones report that really got into the experience.

Thanks for sharing.

Congrats, first of all for the great time both of you had, I could feel it in your words, then you also took some very fine trophies, (sorry about the warthog, next time !).

Thank you for your report and great pics !

Congrats with your safari. Pretty much the norm in Africa.

Excites me even more for my trip to Zim for buff in August.

"A dream can be relived, again and again in Africa".

Congrats on the great hunt, beautiful kudu!

nice write up , with great photos of awesome trophies ,
glad you had a fantastic African adventure ,thanks for sharing your memories us , all ,:thumb:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
majisman

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross