SOUTH AFRICA: APPETIZER for the Hunting Report LEEUKOP SAFARIS July 23-August 5, 2011

Discussion in 'Hunting Reports' started by BRICKBURN, Aug 23, 2011.

1. BRICKBURN

BRICKBURN SUPER MODERATOR CONTRIBUTOR GOLD BENEFACTOR AH Ambassador

My Photos:
    Member of:
    KZN Hunters Assoc
    Hunted:
    Namibia, South Africa, Botswana, Canada, USA, Mexico
    Here are a couple of pictures to whet the appetite while I get prepared to give "the big picture."

This Buffalo I affectionately called "Helmet Head". I did not even see them hiding the the brush. I was so focused on the Kudu we were chasing. I was "just walking behind the PH" and looking up the slope. There is trust for you. Snuck back later and got to within thirty yards to take this shot.

[​IMG]

This Nyala Bull shot was taken by my wife while out on a game drive. The Non hunters "got tired" of seeing Nyala females and young bulls. If you can believe that!!! What does that tell you about the game management at Leeukop?!

[​IMG]

This Rhino cow showed off an impressive horn while she was protecting her young calf. Incredible animals that I encountered many, many times during my hunting experience at Leeukop.

[​IMG]

This was a trail cam picture that was taken after Niel ( PH @ Leeukop Safaris), who was PH for my young friend Nathan, spotted a fresh leopard kill of an Impala. So, the camera was set up and here is one of the pictures of the female Leopard. Determined after many hours of Leopard hunting with what was later dubbed "the Big White Gun"

[​IMG]

Another nice Buffalo bull we ran into while out hunting Kudu. A completely different herd of Buffalo.

[​IMG]

The "Hunting Chariot" crossing the Pongola River. These trucks are so tough and they take such a beating in the rough terrain, just getting you there. I do not fit very well in the front cab (just like those damn planes, no leg room) so I stayed outside in the back with Moosa.

[​IMG]

Here is another Buffalo Bull. You guys can guess which one I eventually tried chasing down with my bow.

[​IMG]

2. messmate

messmate AH Veteran

My Photos:
    Member of:
    Sporting Shooters Association Australia. Australian Deer Association
    Hunted:
    Australia, New Zealand, South Africa
    Great pics. Those buff look fantastic. Look forward to the whole report.

3. Bobpuckett

Bobpuckett GOLD SUPPORTER AH Legend

My Photos:
    Member of:
    NAHC Life Member, NRA Life Member,SCI, Buckmasters
    Hunted:
    USA(from Coast to Coast and Alaska), Germany, South Africa, Canada
    Ok enough teasing lets hear and see the rest of the Report. Fantastic Pics.

4. AfricaHunting.com

AfricaHunting.com FOUNDER AH Ambassador

My Photos:
    Exceptional pictures... can't wait to see more!

5. BRICKBURN

BRICKBURN SUPER MODERATOR CONTRIBUTOR GOLD BENEFACTOR AH Ambassador

My Photos:
    Member of:
    KZN Hunters Assoc
    Hunted:
    Namibia, South Africa, Botswana, Canada, USA, Mexico
    Day 1 and Day 2 Leeukop Safaris

Yeah, like everyone says the flight over sucks and might only be slightly better if you booked yourself into business class.
    We arrived at Leeukop, as a group of 10, in the evening after taking a ground transfer from Joburg.

I discovered during my flight in that the Highveld's number one sport is Arson. Botswana was burning and there were enough veld fires to light the way to Joburg without electricity. They like to burn grass, really they burn anything. With Asthma that is not the best greeting you can have. The airport pharmacy was a busy place.

Well, it made for a haze that stretched to Natal. Near Pongola they burn the Sugarcane fields as well.
    It detracted a bit from the view from the lodge, but as you can see it was still spectacular.

[​IMG]

We got up early the next morning. Jet lag has its benefits. This was the sunrise that greeted us at the lodge. The Aloes in a sunrise made it worth while to be up.

[​IMG]

This was to be our day to go Tiger Fishing and get the cob webs out. We set out on Kemp's boat and were off down the Jozini to the special hiding hole for the big ones. Since it was winter time and the water temperature was 18 degrees we did not expect anything. It was great to be out on the water and to just head down the lake with a breeze in our hair. I got three hits and never managed to get one into the boat. Just another reason to head back.

[​IMG]

A view up the lake

[​IMG]

A view toward the Gorge.

[​IMG]

Some company we encountered on the way to our fishing spot. Quite impressive to see a wild herd strolling down the lake side.

[​IMG]

When we came back we decided to have a look upstream of the lodge a little bit and encountered this fellow along with a bunch of his friends.

[​IMG]

Amazing how close you can get when something is not afraid of you! They are also not hunted here. It made the thought of a stroll along the river a little more interesting though.

[​IMG]

The second day was the beginning of the real hunt.

The trip to the range and the introduction to the team.

[​IMG]

This is "Nala", Niel's trusty fox terrier. It was interesting to see how excited she got when the guns went off at the range. He sure wanted to go track something down. It would happen, just not today.

The proverbial range for checking if we could hit a barn door. We all could.
    The part that made it interesting was my buddy brought my gun for me and packed my bullets. I ended up with a selection of my reloads which I had to sort through before sighting in. Well, it was done and at the typical ranges they hunt at either the 150 grains or the 130 grains would be fine. It just shakes the confidence momentarily.
    It got done. Next time, more knowledge of international firearms rules will make the decisions for the flights.

[​IMG]

The First Big Hunt

The Stalk

[​IMG]

The Bait

[​IMG]

The local Witnesses

[​IMG]

Celebration Dance

[​IMG]

The Foreign Observers

[​IMG]

The Elephant Bull helped frame the setting.

[​IMG]

Heading off hunting together.

[​IMG]

Finally, the top of the Mountian and the Trophy picture. Jenn had been waiting a long time and put a lot of work into this hunt!

[​IMG]